BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie in Arizona

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie in Arizona

Very excited wingnut in Arizona who is digging up as much information I can about the 33. I really like the looks and the potential. I have done a couple of projects, mostly old iron 55 GMC Carryall and 56 GMC short bed. I need this car to be comfortable if there is any hope that el jefe Grande (Diane, my wife) will be part of this. Think we both are ready for a smooth ride in our project, all of our previous projects, well rode like trucks. Anyway, comfort speed and air condition are on the list so far. I would like to hear from the 33 folks about the ride and if anyone has installed A/C. Anybody in the Phoenix area that might let me come take a look?
    Wingnut

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck wing nut! I live in Western NE and have made the same request....no responses.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck Armstrong has built a multi-award winning '33 and he lives in the Scottsdale area (I think.) You should also talk with Gordon Levy down in Maricopa. He's built several '33 (as well as everything else FFR produces) and can give you both some extremely valuable guidance to make your car do/ride like you want.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a comfy ride, stay away from the "rubber band" ultra low profile tire/wheel combos that seem to be so popular. Good old 15" wheels with big rubber will help the ride a bunch. I went with Summit Pulsars and Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radials.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    For ride comfort, you'll want softer springs, better adjustable shocks and to compensate for the lower spring rate, you'll want to add front and rear anti-sway bars. You can make it ride as nice as a stock Miata MX5 if you work this general formula. There are many of us with tender backsides that have worked out most of the part selection.

Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Wink ride details 33HR vs 33SR

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Think we both are ready for a smooth ride in our project, all of our previous projects, well rode like trucks. Wingnut
    Wingnut
    The 33Hot Rod has AC as an option from FF but some have added their own AC after the fact.

On the "smooth ride" issue, most buyers either like the stiff/Race suspension as it comes or they
    change all the shocks and springs and some even go soft enough that they add sway bars as well.

If you are looking for the comfy cruiser you might not want the 5 point harness that FF includes.

A lot of folks have said the side exhaust is too loud and pulls fumes into the cab while cruising, so the rear
    exit exhaust would likely fit your plan better. I jokingly call the stock sprung kit a 33 (H)arsh (R)ide
    and the re-worked ones a 33SR (S)oft (R)ide or Street-Ride .
    Dale Berry
    Hemi33SR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shifty View Post
    good luck wing nut! I live in Western NE and have made the same request....no responses.
    Shifty
    Sorry we didn't notice your post, anything I can answer for you now?
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Come on over to the annual gathering of FFR builders in Huntington Beach, CA on April 26th this year. There should be many examples of the 33 in attendance.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks myjones. I am learning a lot from everyones posts. Good one here bout softening up the ride. We put lots of miles on our cruisers and like a decent ride. Some concern here about interior room and getting in and out.. My old bones don't bend as much as the used to!!!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Entry and exit is pretty good with the 33. Especially with no top.
    I've not had too much problem with the side exhaust fumes on either one of my Cobras but noise can be an issue. I like the side pipes, so put them on the 33. it will have electric cut outs to divert to an optional rear exhaust for long rides.
    \
    Shocks are an important consideration with the 33 but wheels make as much if not more. my 15" wheels on my Cobra make it ride like a caddy compared to the 17's i used to run.