Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Starter solenoid wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Starter solenoid wiring

Working on the final few things that need to be done prior to my first start and one of those is wiring the starter. The manual is not real clear on this and I am not that familiar with wiring.

Does the +cable go from the battery directly to the solenoid? Then run a cable from the solenoid to the starter? Do I need to run any other wire to the starter? I have heard that I may need to run a jumper wire on the starter and if so from where to where?

Any help is appreciated. Just making sure I get this right the 1st time before I fry anything. lol

Thanks,
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if it matters I am running a SBC 350 with HEI and a newer style starter. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question is what size cable should I run from the battery? I am installing an Optima battery in the trunk. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran a 2 gauge cable from my trunk mounted optima to the solenoid then used the 4 gauge cable that came with the kit from the solenoid to the starter. There is a second wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter. The manual is not very clear on this setup. This is how mine is wired.

Solenoid - Red wire on the right side terminal is connected to the starter.

Starter