BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: More Help Please

Post Thanks / Like

More Help Please

I'm facing my ignorance and fear of damaging something by experimenting!

I'd like to kill both the Airbag and Seat Belt warning lights permanently. The 06 pages 96 and 113 are attached.

Grateful thanks for any help provided (yet again!).

fred

Warning Lights001.jpgWarning Lights002.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to know also, but now over 100 views and nobody knows. Black tape the only option?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like 12 volts to B18 will kill the airbag light.

Cutting the wire (or removing the pin from the connector) at B9 should get rid of the seat belt light.

I haven't tried either yet, I'm just starting my wiring, but that's where I would start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have heard of a resistor needed for both if you apply power. Search nasico

Post Thanks / Like
    Found this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304495

They are adding 3.3 ohm resistors to offset the loss of an individual airbag, so they would need to add one at each plug or use a larger resistor at a branching point. I assume this is to keep the airbag module happy so it spits out a high signal to the cluster.

I get the impression that the cluster light really only needs low current signal, so my first try would be to put in a 10k ohm resistor (typical default for a microcontroller pull-up resistors) between B18 and a positive voltage source and step down the resistance value if needed. There is a chance that if you just connect it directly to + voltage (or through a 3.3 ohm) you will create a short and lose part or all of your cluster.

I have not tried so take it with a grain of salt as always.

Post Thanks / Like
    3.3 ohm resistor is only appropriate if you are keeping the air bag module. The resistor would go in place of the airbag, not on the instrument cluster pins.

The diagram shows B18 has a pull-down resistor, so a pull-up will create a voltage divider. In my experience, if there is a pull-down, then you don't use a current limiter on the signal wire. However, a resistor might be necessary to divide the car's 12 volts down to a more electronics-friendly 5 or 3.3 volts. I'll do some experimenting tonight to see what resistor values will do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone who is contributing.

It is clear there are people who know about "these things" who are on the case.

Jaime, I look forward to your report back...you are obviously one of them!

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got around to playing around with it.

Wiring B18 directly to 12V turns off the airbag light and doesn't fry anything. B18 runs to pin 13 on i2 - the connector on the instrument panel harness with the pins rather than the sockets. I tried various resistors between the pin and 12V and anything 220 ohms or less works - the trigger voltage is around 10 volts. That tells me it's supposed to be wired to 12V.

The seat belt light won't come on unless you wire the sensor in - so that shouldn't be an issue, since the front belt clasp with the sensor won't latch with the rear belt anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I finally got around to playing around with it.

Wiring B18 directly to 12V turns off the airbag light and doesn't fry anything. B18 runs to pin 13 on i2 - the connector on the instrument panel harness with the pins rather than the sockets. I tried various resistors between the pin and 12V and anything 220 ohms or less works - the trigger voltage is around 10 volts. That tells me it's supposed to be wired to 12V.

The seat belt light won't come on unless you wire the sensor in - so that shouldn't be an issue, since the front belt clasp with the sensor won't latch with the rear belt anyways.
    Thanks Jaime, appreciate the help. The airbag answer makes sense and I'll fix that.

The seat belt light on my build is "on" and no seat belt sensors or connections are present. From the wiring diagram it appears the seat belt switches are "normally open"...so I suspect the warning light also needs +-12V to kill it too. ...?? What am I misinterpreting?

Sorry to be a nuisance!

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the Body Integrated Module connected? If so, then try pulling pin 22 from i4. When my cluster (from a 2005) is on the bench with only power and ground connected, only the airbag and ABS lights come on. The 2005 wiring diagram look the same as the one you posted, except in '05, there wasn't alternate connectors for AA and MA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Jaime, I do have the Body Integrated Module connected, so I'll try that.

Either way, you have given me enough to go on and I'm sure I'll manage now with one or two "experiments".

I really appreciate your help, and I think I'll be fine on my own now...and give you some peace.

fred

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    Do you have the Body Integrated Module connected? If so, then try pulling pin 22 from i4. When my cluster (from a 2005) is on the bench with only power and ground connected, only the airbag and ABS lights come on. The 2005 wiring diagram look the same as the one you posted, except in '05, there wasn't alternate connectors for AA and MA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good deal.