Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: CptTripps' Build thread

Post Thanks / Like

CptTripps' Build thread

So I went from "Maybe I'll look into this." to "Ordered a kit and bought a donor." in about 24hrs.

Picked up a 2005 Saab 92x that was for sale locally for a song. It has a blown head gasket but I'm having the engine rebuilt top-to-bottom anyway so it doesn't bother me. I'll be building the engine up identical to what I did on a Porsche 914 Subaru conversion I did recently. Here's the list of engine mods I plan on.

VF48 Turbo
    Perrin Equal Length Headers
    Perrin Uppie
    Perrin lightweight crank pulley
    Crucial divorced downpipe
    Wiseco forged pistons
    Manley forged rods
    Eagle bearings
    Composite TGVs
    Billet fuel rails
    Other bits/pieces that make for a fun time.

I also plan on getting Wayne's wiring harness. If I've learned anything, it's that easy wiring is the key to a good build.

I don't know that I'll do air-to-water intercooler again. That was a PITA on my other build (and I still haven't figured it out.)

Here's a pic of the donor.

00J0J_jxuWFgHNGwp_600x450.jpg

Inside I'll use a set of carbon-fiber seats I bought for the 914 but were too wide. They were out of a WRX, so I'm guessing they'll fit just fine here.

My kit should arrive sometime in September. I'll plan on spending the fall/winter with it. Maybe taking my time...maybe going balls-to-the-wall with it. All depends on the time I have to dedicate to it.

So....here we go?

Post Thanks / Like
    3.5h later, and here's what I've bought so far:

Wilwood "Big Brake Kit"
    Wilwood Pedal Cluster
    Gates Complete Timing Belt Kit
    Supertech Bronze Valves Guides & Stem Seals
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Kit
    Xact Prolite 9.4Lb Flywheel
    Exceedy Organic Stage 2 Clutch
    Grimmspeed Boost Solenoid
    Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
    Agency Power High-Flow Fuel Rail Kit
    OE Head Gasket Set
    Speed Style Air/Oil Separator
    Silicone Radiator Hose Kit
    Silicone Turbo Inlet Tube
    Manley Forged Rods
    Wiseco Forged 92mm Pistons
    Ngk G-Power Platinum Sparkplugs
    Five-O 750Cc Fuel Injectors
    Aluminum Radiator Cooling Fan Shroud W/Fans
    2-Pass Aluminium Radiator
    Carbon-fiber seats

Oh...and a 2005 Saab 92x that'll be delivered in about 2h to my office. I'll start tearing it apart in a few weeks after I finish up the 914.

My hope is to get everything from the donor cleaned up, painted, and ready so when the kit shows up I can get right to it. I'll have the frame painted or powdered locally so I can make it the color I want. Not a fan of the black. I think I'm going to shoot for a matte black with red accents everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Careful, spending so much in 3.5h, at that rate you'll end up with a car worth 100s of millions in a couple of weeks/months.

That should be pretty interesting to see the progress!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I just want to get it all out of the way now so I can get everything off to my engine builder. He'll have it for a few months and I know the laundry-list I had to buy from the last build he did for me. It wasn't all that bad really. If I have $6K into the donor and ALL the parts, I'm going to be just fine. I have a budget spreadsheet and I'm actually UNDER what I was planning right now.

I also learned that the racing guys are going ga-ga over the 92x right now because the WRX was moved to the "A" class from "E". The 92x was excluded from that move, so everyone is moving their guts out of a WRX and into a 92x. I may actually make $ on this if I do it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    C T-

Sounds like you have a great plan in front of you.

You have to share your results on the 914 when she gets done. I would love to see it!

Your engine plans look like she will be a bit of a beast, huh?

I hope you keep us updated!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine build looks stout! Personally, I love Crucial stuff; used to run a bunch on my 04 WRX. I met the guy who started Crucial Racing, had a few drinks with him when he was in the area, very cool person.

The rest of your list isn't too shabby either can't wait to follow your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Parts for the engine started showing up yesterday. My wife is already pissed about the stuff that's showing up! (Mainly the donor in the driveway that blows more smoke than a weber grill when you start it.)

Stopped by Goldwing's house yesterday and discovered that I really do need a Boyd tank if I want to fit inside. I'm 6-1 and the stock position may not work out that well.

Maybe with my skinny carbon-fiber seats I'll be ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard that the donor 9-2x I have is a narrower suspension. Can anyone else comment on this?

I can likely get what I have into it back out if I sell it now. I'd rather start with the right donor though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CptTripps View Post
    I've heard that the donor 9-2x I have is a narrower suspension. Can anyone else comment on this?

I can likely get what I have into it back out if I sell it now. I'd rather start with the right donor though.
    The rear lateral links and front lower control are 10mm shorter each on a wagon chassis.
    You have a couple of options.

If you are building a 818 and setting the suspension for street ride height. There a optional holes in the 818 chassis for the shorter arms. You are good to go.

If you are setting the car for race ride height. Most are buying new aluminum LCA and adjustable lateral links.
    You have a great donor.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a really nice build. I purchased a disassembled donor as much to prevent complaints about the "pick and pull" look in the front yard as anything else.

For the tank, I'm hoping the new tank from FFR will work out. If it doesn't, then I'll pick up the Boyd tank and work from there.

Any shots of the 914 conversion?

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my build thread over on 914World.com = http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=217421

Pretty much the same laundry-list as the one I'm building here. The only upgrades otherwise are the HydraEMS ECUbody flares, 2002 Boxster brakes, 930 suspension, 911 hubs and a do-dad or two. The interior is ALL custom.

A few pics...

post-3342-1395538187_thumb.jpg
    post-3342-1396862599_thumb.jpg
    post-3342-1396531955_thumb.jpg

I'm a few weeks out from completing it, and will need to work on clearing the garage out so I can prepare for the 818 in September! I'm real anxious to see the differences in handling and acceleration between the two. My 914 will weigh about 1,900lb, but be a little wider/longer than the 818. I think the 914 is about the same ride-height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    The rear lateral links and front lower control are 10mm shorter each on a wagon chassis.
    If you are building a 818 and setting the suspension for street ride height. There a optional holes in the 818 chassis for the shorter arms. You are good to go.

You have a great donor.
    Thanks Bob. Great info. I'm buying Ai control arms and will likely buy adjustable links as well. Just making sure all the other bits are good.

I had an offer from someone for my donor against a 818 chassis. I'm really thinking about it....

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to read through the 914 blog tonight. What I skimmed looks awesome. I considered another 911 or a 3.2 914 project before I settled on this one. Will love to get your thoughts about the 2 when you are deep into this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took delivery of a TON of parts yesterday. Looks like more are arriving today. I'm still shy 1 818 kit, but I hope to have everything from the donor ready to go as soon as the kit arrives.

I may end up selling the donor. There's a local guy (TK) that has almost everything I need from cars in his lot that he pulls from. I found a 5MT that only has 9,000mi on it, and if I can get a 2.0 engine elsewhere, I'll be all set for the parts needed.

Onward!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a lot of movement on the 818 kit....looks like it'll be here mid September. I'm actually going to fix and sell the donor. I don't have a lot into it and with a bit of work, could be worth about 1.5X what I paid, so that's the plan.

But that didn't stop me from getting the motor underway. I found a JDM motor with 40K-mi with a 5MT that will fit the bill quite well. I've also been stockpiling parts so my motor guy (Slick Motorsports in North Ridgeville, OH) can get started next week.

Here's a pic of the motor, and all my goodies so far.

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 12.13.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-06-18 at 12.19.12 PM.png

Talking with Matt at Slick yesterday, I think I may go with a twin-scroll VF36 or vf37 instead of the VF39 on the motor now. I'll have a lot more low-end boost and it won't flatten off above 4,500RPM like a single scroll. Since I'm looking at ELH and a better uppie anyway, it may be the hot ticket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a pic of the MR2 shifter and Shift-lingage I used in my 914 build. I'm going to do the same thing on the 818.

image-1.jpg
    image.jpg
    --
    Doug Hardman
    Cleveland, OH

My 818 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to go hoard mr2 shifters. Haha!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    My motor just showed up!

IMG_0825.JPG

It surprised the daylights out of me, as I just ordered it yesterday from JDM Motors in Maryland. $2,100 shipped!

JDM Single AVCS 2.0 with 33,000mi
    It has a VF39 turbo now, but that'll likely change to a twin scroll VF36.

I'm going to use the downpipe to replace the oil-logged one on the Saabaru I'd originally bought as a donor.

So it looks like it's all working out just fine....so far.
    --
    Doug Hardman
    Cleveland, OH

My 818 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, MD to OH overnight! The engine mst have been in a truck ready to ship to you even before you ordered!

How much is it supposed to pull on the dyno as is? And where you want to bring it to?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Wow, MD to OH overnight! The engine mst have been in a truck ready to ship to you even before you ordered!
    That's what I thought too. I got the FedEX slip at 2:30 and it wasn't in their tracking computer yet. Showed up at 11:30 this AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    How much is it supposed to pull on the dyno as is? And where you want to bring it to?
    As-is, I'm expecting 280-ish. After all the mods and upgrades I'm expecting 350-ish. If I can get to 400HP with the twin-scroll turbo, I'll be delighted biut I'm not going to hold my breath. It's hard to tell though. Taking the PS & AC pumps off the motor, then adding lightweight flywheel and crank pulley will give you 50-60HP. Composite TGVs, 750cc injectors, fuel rails, Air-to-Water intercooler and some twekas to the standard ECU will give you another 50-60 so I may be close to 400. Who knows. I'll let you know when I get it on a dyno. Gotta build it first though!
    --
    Doug Hardman
    Cleveland, OH

My 818 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpg

Got my turbo!

VF37 twin scroll. Here comes the HP!
    --
    Doug Hardman
    Cleveland, OH

My 818 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be interested to see what kind of power you get on your setup. I'm at around 341 HP/389 TQ on my 2.5L setup and e85.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's what I thought too. I got the FedEX slip at 2:30 and it wasn't in their tracking computer yet. Showed up at 11:30 this AM.

As-is, I'm expecting 280-ish. After all the mods and upgrades I'm expecting 350-ish. If I can get to 400HP with the twin-scroll turbo, I'll be delighted biut I'm not going to hold my breath. It's hard to tell though. Taking the PS & AC pumps off the motor, then adding lightweight flywheel and crank pulley will give you 50-60HP. Composite TGVs, 750cc injectors, fuel rails, Air-to-Water intercooler and some twekas to the standard ECU will give you another 50-60 so I may be close to 400. Who knows. I'll let you know when I get it on a dyno. Gotta build it first though!
    I have a vf37(kinda wornout), not sure exactly what it made on my 818, but made 328whp and 307ftlbs on 18 psi in the same setup in a Gc( jdm Sti ej207 v8, dual avcs active, spec c heads). It the 818 prob 350-360whp and like 330ftlbs. Not to hurt your enthusiasm cause I admire it, but I don't think you'll see close to 400 unless you push the tune to dangerous levels with a speacial fuel. I detonated from heat soaking at constant redlining at autocross and blew some rings. I am building the whole engine, and putting in an awic system, along with a Blouch twinscroll dom 1.5. I will see 400whp and torque with an 8k redline and power all the way up. A 2.5 has displacement advantage put less balanced and less top end than my motor stock for stock. Off coarse nothing is going stock the 2nd time around. I building it to hold 600 plus, but only want 385-400

Check my thread in the coming months, I will be covering the engine build and painting
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 06-22-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm MORE than happy with 325whp. It's honestly kinda scary to have more. The rest of the stuff I'm doing will build the motor up quite a bit. I was more worried about the trans holding up. The JDM 5MT has beefier gears than the USDM so that helps. I was planning on having all the pieces of the trans cryo'd while I had it apart. That should help a bit too.
    --
    Doug Hardman
    Cleveland, OH

My 818 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm MORE than happy with 325whp.
    Shenanigans. I'm at 341/389 and I want MORE! :-)
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    Shenanigans. I'm at 341/389 and I want MORE! :-)
    Perhaps I will think the same way. I'm just looking forward to getting the kit! I'll worry about the HP later. I'm sure there is always a way to get more.

I found the place I'm sending all my trans parts to be cryo'd. It'll be a few weeks before I have the trans split apart to get to it, but I'm headed in the right direction anyway.
    --
    Doug Hardman
    Cleveland, OH

My 818 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Who are you using for cryo?

I've been very happy with 300 degrees Below. I know they do tranny's for rally teams.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to use 300 below as well. I got the pricing and it looked very reasonable. I'm thinking about cryo-ing the following parts

Pistons (new forged)
    Rods (new forged)
    Trans Gears and Shaft (existing)
    Springs and valves (existing)
    Cams (existing)
    ...as well as a few other doo-dads from the motor.

Any benefit to doing more than that? I think I have all the basics covered, and I believe the total would be under $400 for all of that. No sense in my dumping $3K into the motor and then worrying about the existing parts holding up.
    --
    Doug Hardman
    Cleveland, OH

My 818 Build Thread