Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Who's using Sharkhide on thier Aluminum Panels?

Post Thanks / Like

Who's using Sharkhide on thier Aluminum Panels?

Well,

I'm going to be starting my build shortly and one of the things I have not decided was the Aluminum Panel Protectant I plan to use.

I live in Houston and the car when done will never see harsh weather, not even rain if I can help it, or very little... It will be a total Garage Queen driven maybe 2k a year at best. Not really wanting to sink another 600.00 powedercoating these panels. Plus I really like the racy look of the Raw Aluminum Panels.

My FFR Rep suggested the Eastwood product Sharkhide.

My question is for those that have used it, What was your experience?

How much do I need? they sell it in Quarts.

Appreciate the Help!

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just used it on my polished aluminum last weekend and the results were HORRIBLE!!

I used FRESH diapers as recommended and they were filled with lint! WASH NEW FABRIC before using! lesson learned.
    Also. I coated them after drilling and all the little holes and burrs disrupted the wipe, which in turn distorted the result. I am assembling the panels, then will wipe them all down with lacquer thinner and reapply.

MY BAD. Seems like a decent product. Operator error will effect final outcome!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I just used it on my polished aluminum last weekend and the results were HORRIBLE!!

I used FRESH diapers as recommended and they were filled with lint! WASH NEW FABRIC before using! lesson learned.
    Also. I coated them after drilling and all the little holes and burrs disrupted the wipe, which in turn distorted the result. I am assembling the panels, then will wipe them all down with lacquer thinner and reapply.

MY BAD. Seems like a decent product. Operator error will effect final outcome!

David, How much did you get? think 2 quarts will do all the panels? Not too worried about the interior panels that will be covered with hushmat and carpet...

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Sharkhide on the under car panels exposed to road grime etc and it works very well. I have also used it on polished engine components with similar results. Using it to coat mirror polished flat engine bay panels (firewall) didn't work for me, I always got some sort of watermark after the coating flashed off. A single quart can goes a very long way, I wouldn't buy any more than a quart.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I sanded with a random orbital sander 120, 200, 400, 600, 800 (A LOT), then carefully wiped it with the scotch-brite pad (bought a package of them from Home Depot). Then wiped it down with acetone. Poured a little puddle on the panel, then wiped it with a clean T-shirt / rag.
    I tried to apply 2 coats, but it just messed it up, so the rest of the panels I only did 1 thick coat. It is more challenging on the larger panels and don't try wiping it too many times, it sets up quickly.
    I REALLY LIKE the finished product (brushed aluminum loo) and it cleans up very easily with a detail spray.

don't know if it helps, but I keep it refrigerated in my garage mini-frig.
    I applied it to drilled panels and didn't have any issues.
    I bought 1 qt and still have a lot left, I did all of the engine bay panels (F-Panels, Foot boxes, and Radiator opening panels).

I'll try to find my post and embed the pictures here.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building now and have been using it. I'm pleased.

I'm not really interested in changing the look of the panels, I just wanted to give them some protection. I've been coating both sides of every panel, even though many are going to get covered with KoolMat, carpet, etc.

I'm getting close to exhausting the first quart so I bought a second...I'm probably about halfway through installing aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    I'm building now and have been using it. I'm pleased.

I'm not really interested in changing the look of the panels, I just wanted to give them some protection. I've been coating both sides of every panel, even though many are going to get covered with KoolMat, carpet, etc.

I'm getting close to exhausting the first quart so I bought a second...I'm probably about halfway through installing aluminum.
    Are you just applying as you install panels? or did you do all the panels at once?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did nothing to my aluminum panels and after 10 years they still clean up well.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used SharkHide extensively during my build and just ordered a second quart although I still have some left over in the first quart.

Surface prep is very important as others have stated already. I have also found that you really need to wear gloves when handling the bare panels as you prep them; if not you risk getting oils on the aluminum prior to application of the SharkHide. The directions need to be expressly followed and make sure the rag your using to apply is absolutely clean. I use those microfiber shop rags (the blue ones).

I have put the stuff on my shop tools like the raw sections of a vice over 2 years ago and they look exactly like the day I applied the stuff.

I do the pieces as I need them not as a batch.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's my Aluminum / Shark-Hide panels:

And with the Stainless Steel heatshields installed

Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used it, but when I was researching this issue, I remember hearing that the sharkhide stuff only lasts a few years before it wears off. I don't know where it would go, but it's something to look into.
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mslone View Post
    Are you just applying as you install panels? or did you do all the panels at once?
    I have been applying as I go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also using Sharkhide and I'm following the Method in the "Building Cobras" book. I'm cleaning the panels with Acetone then sanding with 220 grit paper on a small sander. Then I apply sharkhide just to that panel. It looks pretty good but I'm still working on the best sanding grit and technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used it on the underside of mine. Easy to use. Goes a very long way's. Clean is very important. I use acetone then simple green. Diapers work great.
    Keep in the fridge it will stay fresh longer.

Joe
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...d-finally.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...rts-build.html
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/final...roject.645071/
    MK4 complete kit.
    351 Dart based 427, 4'' stroke by 4.125 bore.
    Twisted Wedge 11R heads Dual quad EFItech efi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmcole92 View Post
    I'm also using Sharkhide and I'm following the Method in the "Building Cobras" book. I'm cleaning the panels with Acetone then sanding with 220 grit paper on a small sander. Then I apply sharkhide just to that panel. It looks pretty good but I'm still working on the best sanding grit and technique.
    What kind of finish do you want?
    When I used my random orbital with 220, I got a very random pattern with fine scratches, it was hard to get it consistent and I could see the sander pattern. I bought boxes of 100 velcro sanding pads and used 400, 600, then 800, changing them a couple times on an aluminum panel and got a good surface with very little sander pattern. Then I cleaned with acetone, made several STRAIGHT passes with the scotch-brite pad, cleaned again with acetone, THEN applied the Shark-Hide. It's not a polished finish, but I didn't want that. I wanted a brushed finish and this will produce a pretty close appearance to brushed.
    I've seen machines used on the SS panels of DeLorens to get a perfect brushed look, but this is the next best thing at home!

as mentioned before, use gloves!! #1 to keep hand prints off of your freshly sanded panels. #2 your hands will turn black / dirty working with these aluminum panels.