Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Oil issues: Dry Sump, Accusump for road racing?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Altering the shear rate within the bearing assembly by increasing the clearance can reduce friction, but the extra clearance will need higher oil 'make up' or flow, and so any performance released by reducing the friction may be consumed again by the extra lubricant to be pumped. On the other hand, too fine a clearance will never allow the oil to flow, and the heat generated - which is otherwise taken away with the oil as it leaks away - will inevitably lead to bearing failure."*
    I take this to also mean that too high an oil pressure negatively affects the shear rate and drives up the heat of the oil.
    *https://www.highpowermedia.com/blog/...ng-lubrication
    Similarly, there have been many that say that you shouldn't put a 12mm JDM oil pump in a high-performance motor.

12-10-2017 Update: I ran over 20 track hours in my STi with a ported 12mm pump and external Peterson pressure relief valve in this new built EJ257 engine. Oil pressure's typically 70 to 85. I ran either 430 or 470 horsepower (I can select between three maps). Engine is ready to go in the spring, as-is. UOA's have been OK.
    Last edited by Scargo; 12-10-2017 at 03:44 PM.