FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Oil issues: Dry Sump, Accusump for road racing?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've run into two issues installing the Cosworth DS.

1) The 720 mm HPD belt is about 10 mm too short. The instructions are very adamant that there should be NO tension on the belt. Heck I can't even get it over the pump pulley at all, much less no tension. I checked into a slightly larger belt but the next size up from three manufacturers is 800 mm which will be way too long. The possibility to use an 800 would be to run the tensioner on the cogged side (inside) of the belt instead of the smooth outside. I suppose that since the tensioner is just a smooth idler pulley exactly like the timing belt idlers and there's really no tension, it just takes up slack, it might be ok, but IDK.

For now I'm trying to stretch the 720 mm belt a half inch using a floor jack with a couple of 3" pipes on each side to not bend the belt over too sharp a corner. It's helped a tiny bit, but not enough yet. See pic of my Colonel Red Racing belt stretcher!

Ideas?

2) I thought all the connections were -12AN. They are not, the hose from the pump > cooler> tank is -16AN. Of course my tank has all -12AN fittings and the cooler as well. Somewhere either right at the pump or probably at the cooler I have to go down to -12AN. Since this is for my STI and the cooler +tank are in the trunk I think it's best to neck down right at the cooler so the long line is still -16AN. However it would be a lot easier and cheaper to run -12AN all the way from the pump. The Element Tuning systems many of use run a -12An but the lines to the tank are pretty short. And in Element's Tie Attack car the tank is in the passenger foot/door area which is a pretty short run. Having had the tank in the same place in my Legacy, there's no way I'm putting the tank in the cockpit for enduro races, the heat is unbearable.

And a couple of pics of the engine build. 2.7L Stroker.

Belt Stetcher.jpgInlet Mock Up.jpgCosworth DS Mock Up.jpgExhaust-Turbo Mock Up.jpgCosworth DS Pump Belt Issue.jpg
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 10-26-2016 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Add image
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer