BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternator output wire

Post Thanks / Like

Alternator output wire

I'm at the point where I am mounting the main fuse box and like Rori I like the idea of putting it up front. It looks like the only wire that would need extending is the 2 white #10 gauge to the alternator. Looking at the schematic I don't see any reason not to just wire that to the starter. It would no longer be protected by the 80 amp fuse but most automotive alternator setups do not use a fuse anyway. I could also add in a fuse if I find out that it really is necessary for some reason. This is my first Subaru but I have seen alternators wired that way many times from the factory. If I keep the wiring as is I will need to up the gauge. I never like the idea of a large current carrying wire bundled with control wiring, inductance can cause really strange problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running that wire to the starter as well but I am going to use a fusible link to protect the circuit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Clary View Post
    I am running that wire to the starter as well but I am going to use a fusible link to protect the circuit
    Could you share were you are getting the link from? I haven't seen anything that I like yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiny View Post
    Could you share were you are getting the link from? I haven't seen anything that I like yet.
    you could try Waytekwire.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with these fuses.

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46576...GE-STYLE-FUSE/

Both mounted to the solenoid (battery Wire) with one going to the 2x#10 white wires to the alternator. The other is going through a #6 to my front main fuse box.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 09-18-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy lengths of fusible link and different gauges from any parts store

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm at the point where I am mounting the main fuse box and like Rori I like the idea of putting it up front. It looks like the only wire that would need extending is the 2 white #10 gauge to the alternator. Looking at the schematic I don't see any reason not to just wire that to the starter. It would no longer be protected by the 80 amp fuse but most automotive alternator setups do not use a fuse anyway. I could also add in a fuse if I find out that it really is necessary for some reason. This is my first Subaru but I have seen alternators wired that way many times from the factory. If I keep the wiring as is I will need to up the gauge. I never like the idea of a large current carrying wire bundled with control wiring, inductance can cause really strange problems.
    I'm confused. If the two 10 gauge wires that formerly went to the alternator are routed directly to the starter, then how is the alternator hooked into the charging system?

I'm at the same point, and was planning on running the two white wires back to the alternator. Is there another line that runs from the alternator to the starter?
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
    I'm confused. If the two 10 gauge wires that formerly went to the alternator are routed directly to the starter, then how is the alternator hooked into the charging system?

I'm at the same point, and was planning on running the two white wires back to the alternator. Is there another line that runs from the alternator to the starter?
    I may have worded it incorrectly. If you wire output terminal stud on the alternator directly to the starter battery lug(use a #8 wire) it creates the same circuit as if you extended the #10 white wires. Basically it uses the starter battery wire to accomplish the same thing as the original wiring. It just results in less heavy gauge wire running from the front to the back of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my schematic that I went with.
    My battery in next to the starter.
    The orange wire is part of the main fuse box. (mounted in front dash)
    I have 2 fuses on the solenoid plus battery input.
    Bob
    bat.jpg