Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 "R" Progress Report: Year One of Production

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

818 "R" Progress Report: Year One of Production

I'm very frustrated, it's 1 year after production of the R and we still don't have an assembly manual or a proper parts list (or a draft of one to help contribute to), make the manual a community project, use the social media tools out there, take a lesson from some of the community sourced information projects.

We don't have a complete list of parts that are to come with the, some people get parts others don't. There is not enough detail on the ride height or setup. Seems after a few calls to FFR I'm told that this is a bear bones race car, not to expect the quality of even a stripped down spec Miata (now that is a real blow to hear a FFR person tell me that).

Case in point: I'm trying to mock up the interior to get the cables, lines, etc. run, so I turn to the manual, I look for the console pieces, no console (fiberglass or aluminum), I call FFR, I'm told tis is a race car and there is no center console since the weight is an issue, but I can buy the sheet metal (since they don't make the fiberglass anymore). Next I go to cover up the cooling pipes and other items that come in on the foot box, I find the dead pedal but no side aluminum, so I call FFFR and I'm told once again (after the gentleman goes out in the shop and looks at the R that they have on site) this is a race car and due to the weight issue there in NO interior aluminum what so ever and I'm just to throw away the dead pedal aluminum or I can fabricate these parts I'm told (well if I had all the tools I would).

I'm not new to racing or building race cars, I have several including a FFR Challenge car, so I hate to be told that this is a race car and weight is an issue as an excuse to getting to the bottom of the issues of what parts we are supposed to get and what we will not get as part of the R.

FFR has done a great job designing the 818 R and the quality of the parts and material has been excellent so far but please go the last mile here and help us R builders get the proper parts and instructions to build a race car that we can be proud of, and please don't use the "race car" excuse.
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 09-26-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress