Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stock Wheels--Budget Build

Post Thanks / Like

Stock Wheels--Budget Build

I am nearing the go cart stage of my budget build 818S based on a 2006 WRX donor. I am trying to hold down costs and would therefore like to use the stock wheels (17 inch) and possibly the donor rear tires (245/45/17 Continental). Any suggestions? Is this a false economy?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you use those? I believe the answer is yes.

However...bang per buck, tires are one of the best performance mods you can do. I wouldn't be afraid to test with stock wheels/tires but for actual karting/autox/etc etc I would grab something that shows off the awesome handling of the 818.

Just my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like
    The 818 was first of all designed to use as much from the donor as possible. That said, this is your build their is nothing wrong using the stock wheels(so long as their not damaged). Up grading is part of the beast, when you do it, and what parts to upgrade will be determined by your goals for the car. So IMHO decide what the priorities for your build are and as the budget allows, go for it!
    We here at the forum are good at making suggestions to spend your money, take that with a grain of salt. Just remember it's your car, your goals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with using the stock wheels and tires. Once you get the car on the road and start driving you will know when you need more tire.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are on a budget, one suggestion is to put your $ into things you can't do later or that are difficult to do later. Wheels and tires are about the easiest thing to upgrade later.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Limited slip is a must IMHO. It's really a safety thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    1.5 inch spacers in the rear, about 1/2 inch in the front and you will be fine. w/o spacers they don't fill the wheel wells and look fugly. That's what I'm doing for now, wheels come later
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you need to install longer lugs if you use spacers that thick?

-Buzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Your lugs need to be long enough so that when the wheel and spacer are mounted that at least three threads show past the nut.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies so far.

For wheel spacers, will a 1/2 inch spacer in the front solve the frame clearance problem with my stock 225/45/17 tires? That would be an easy and inexpensive fix that could get me going and through safety inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    John
    Take a look at my thread
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...901#post172901

I running stock impreza wheels. 16x6.5 55et with 225/45R16 tires. 24" diameter with good clearance. To run wider tires I will have go to lower offset.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-08-2014 at 02:33 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a vendor, just passing a deal along. I meet this company last year at SEMA and they send me their specials weekly. They are gearing up for SEMA this year and sent me a price list a few days back. Basically $66 for 16" $70 for 17" and $80 for 18". The wheels look great in person. Shipping is $50-$60 depending where you live. So for alittle over $300 you can have new wheels, sell your stockers and it is even less. The offsets are 38mm to 48mm.

http://www.pinnaclewheel.com/drag-concepts/#mg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    Do you need to install longer lugs if you use spacers that thick?

-Buzz
    Yes my rear spacers are bolt on with separate lugs, the front spacers req longer lugs too, I had to grind a wee bit off one side of the lugs "head" to install them when mounted on the car. I bought longer studs and cut them to proper length
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14