Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The White Lightning 818e thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Yeah, I saw those gearboxes, I forgot to list them. Colemanracing.com sells them:

http://www.colemanracing.com/Lightwe...ion-P6179.aspx

2 x 2 speed gearboxes would be better than 1 gearbox with a differential since I'm using 2 motors anyway, but my problem was finding something that could couple each gearbox to the axles. Also, what drove me away from those gearboxes was the fact that most of them say that they're not meant for hard starts, but rather just to get the car moving. They're also straight cut and require rebuilds often. Then again, each gearbox would only be pushing 170 ft lbs so they should be able to hold up.

Regarding CVTs, they usually use torque converters for initial slip and to ease the shifting. That makes them less desirable due to inefficiency. Also, they're really not a good idea for electric motors. My wife's car has a CVT and when you step on it, it goes all the way up to 4000RPM and stays between 4000RPM and 5000RPM between 30 and over 100mph. It does that to optimize for a gas engine's max torque. My motors have max torque between 0 and 7000RPM so a CVT would actually be counter productive.

As for regen, yeah, I have regen up to 200hp worth. Honestly, I don't know how it'll be to drive a rear wheel drive car with regen entering curve. Some of the Formula E guys talked about it being difficult. The big question is how to bias the rear brakes.
    Last edited by Speedy G; 01-06-2015 at 12:47 AM.