Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NB in SD's build thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Removing the motor was pretty straightforward. I stepped through the Subaru manual and took my time. The manual isn't great with some steps having captions like "remove the hose with bracket", but I got through it. The only required tool I had to buy was a big breaker bar. I got a 10 foot piece of electrical conduit and cut it into a 4 foot piece and a 6 foot piece. The 4' section worked on most bolts.

My Celebration (no 80's music fans here?) is officially over and today I was back to the harness and pulling the components from behind the dash apart. I removed the vent blower motor, fed a bunch of wire harness through little holes in the body while trying not to rip off my labels, and started removing the pedals.

I talked to John at Outfront Motorsports yesterday. I'm going to bring the motor up to him to get some ideas for what do to with it. It ran OK, but if it's in the same shape as the rest of the donor it's going to need some work.

There's a pretty intense amount of wiring in the car... here's where I left off tonight:

Post Thanks / Like

Received the kit!

I got way behind updating my thread but am going to make a run at keeping it more up to date now that I have the kit!

I made it through the rest of the tear down. The last bits of the harness were more trouble than they should have been (gas tank). My donor looked like it spent some time off road, lots of mud and rust and I was super happy to be done with it. I used a sawzall to cut it into manageable pieces. A craigslist post and an hour later and it was gone.

WRXParts.jpg

I got the kit dec 19th and spent the first day inventorying the boxes. There are some back-ordered parts, and a few that I can't find. It would not be hard for FFR to make the inventory process a lot easier (number the parts or the bags?). The body is a bit of a shame too. They're so close to no-paint, but they really botched some parts (mostly around the edges) and that kills the no-paint idea. But overall I'm really excited.

Delivery.jpg

NewHome.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a good start with some time off over the holidays. I did most of the front firewall and I believe all of the front suspension and sway bar. I also cleaned up and painted the steering rack. It had a major PS fluid leak because the lines (and most of the front of the car) were covered in PS fluid! I read up on de-powering and settled on epoxying the pinion valve and looping the lines. Got the rack mounted too.

FrontDSusp.jpg

FrontView2.jpg

FrontPSuspension.jpg