Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Bias Adjustment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brake Bias Adjustment

I am installing the pedal box and I cannot figure out how you would adjust the brake bias once installed. The threaded rod coming out of the master cylinder does not turn, so do you have to remove the clevis end to make an adjustment? Any help appreciated as usual.

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ther if you slide the dust cover back the rod will spin in the master..Tony @ ffr

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Tony. Appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    But that just adjusts the pushrod length so you can be sure to have just a small amount of freeplay to allow the MC to return fully. The bias adjustment is done w/ the cross shaft.
    http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds252.pdf
    Figure 2 shows how to adjust pushrod length. What they don't show and I can't find at the moment is how to adjust front to rear bias. The key to understanding this is to realize that inside the block (top of the pedal) that the threaded shaft runs through is a spherical bearing which will slide freely left and right as the shaft is turned. If that bearing is centered the same amount of pressure will be applied to both MCs. If you turn the threaded shaft you move that bearing toward one MC and away from the other MC. Which ever MC the bearing is closer to receives more pressure. Although you can't see the bearing, it is fixed to the threaded shaft. So, if you can see more of the rod at one side of the assembly, that indicates that the bearing has moved to that side. In figure 2, if the end of the shaft w/ the jam nut were longer than the other end, you would have more front brake bias.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    To get a rough starting point when adjusting the bias I use a piece of wood such as a 1 x 2 long enough to wedge between the front of the seat and the brake pedal with one end cut at about a 30 degree angle. With all the tires off the ground I adjust the piece of wood so that the front tires just lock up and at that point the rears should be almost locked up. If the rears are locked up also or not close to locking up I adjust the balance bar so that they are. There are other ways to get a lot closer but require special tools.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill