Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wagon Belts and Child Seat Mode

Post Thanks / Like

Wagon Belts and Child Seat Mode

Rear Subaru seat belts go into child seat mode when you pull them all the way out. In child seat mode, they won't pull out until they are fed all the way in. Here's the device that makes it work:

It's engaged when ridge "C" (on the back surface of the white part) nudges tab "A" and moves the top white part to the position shown. When the belt is retracted, ridge "D" pushes tab "B" to release the mechanism. I cut tab "A" off so it can never go into child seat mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    I disabled chld seat mode on my sedan belts too because they wouldn't retract far enough to go to normal mode when mounted in the sedan belt locations. It's too bad because chld seat mode can hold you tightly in place for a poor man's racing harness for autocross.

Does the wagon belt also get stuck in child seat mode?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice hack, BTW.

The sedan belts I have look different inside, so the hack is also slightly different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    Does the wagon belt also get stuck in child seat mode?
    I think it has enough slack to get out, but I don't want it to have to deal with it if it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's definately an important mod for anyone using donor belts. It might be good to add to the build tips sticky (or even a manual revision). Fighting the child seat mode cost me a lot of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a helpful tip. I did not want the child-lock feature but found my wagon belts looked more like pictures of other people's sedan belts, but with a different tilt-lock mechanism. I just removed the levers that enable/disable the child seat mode as in this picture.
    IMG-20150621-00331b.jpg