BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring pin removal

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring pin removal

I don't believe there is a dedicated thread on this anywhere, so I figured I would start one for reference.

I was working on the wiring and realized I had "dieted" 2 wires that I shouldn't have. To make matters worse, they were both in connector B71, which plugs into the steering column, so there is no easy way to simply route a new wire around the connector. As a result, I had to figure out how to remove the pins from the plug.

The PDF at this site was helpful, as it highlights the secondary locking feature on many of the plugs. I will snap a few photos when I get home, but the bottom line is that the pins are fairly easy to remove with a very small flat head screwdriver. You simply need to remove the secondary locking feature first, then use the flat head screwdriver to release the locking tab and push the pin out.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/607...4760668812.pdf

In my case, I have removed the pins, and will replace them with short wires/pins from other dieted connectors that I didn't cut off way too short to begin with.

The flat head screwdrivers I used are similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Slot...ad+screwdriver

Post Thanks / Like
    The general problem, lots of tails from dieting the harness

First pop the locking tab if there is one

Release tab using a small screwdriver while pulling on the wire gently. Sometimes when you release this tab, the wire will drop out completely on its own
    Last edited by billjr212; 01-01-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the 2002 to 2005 WRX ECU the pins that go into the ECU are Tyco Amp 316836-1. I got them from Mouser, 100 pack for $13.