FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Intercooler duct openings

Post Thanks / Like

Intercooler duct openings

I am at the point in my 818S build where I am cutting out all of the openings in the fiberglass. I may be stupid, but I cannot find any instructions in the manual for cutting out the intercooler duct openings in the engine cover. I also cannot find any mesh or trim to put around these. Are these supposed to be just rough cut and ignored? Also, I would like to feed more air to the turbo intercooler. I am seeking some kind of scoop or enlargement for the inlet openings. I am thinking maybe something like boat vents or something. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just talked to Dan at FFR. He says there is no trim or mesh for these two openings. One has to carefully finish cut the holes. Also, he says that the engineers claim that the inlet area of the ducts is equivalent to that of the Subaru turbo. Who knows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Subaru scoop is bigger and in a high pressure zone with lots of flow. 818 scoops are smaller an in an area and not in a direct frontal zone for air to come in.

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on Mechie's pic, it looks to me like we need ducting running through the car, or a snorkel that pokes up into the red area above and between the seats, or maybe chuck it all and go with an AWIC.

Weren't you putting together an AWIC kit, Mechie? How's it coming along?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the A2A talk has been surrounding modifying the side scoops as they are in the best position for a MR roadster. Scoop needs to come out wider, could go in a little deeper inward, and hole needs to be enlarged to where it leaves no lip. Like R8 or 911. Should work well but would be more optimized for a twin turbo, twin intercooler setup. I'm still going A2W.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its coming. The clocked turbo config is pretty much done. Need to order the brackets.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about finishing the top of the 2 trunk humps. They are flat on top. If you cut out the rectangle on top and then finish the shape from the round sides on the rear half it would scoop air in, F-1 style. They would be small and really help pull air in. I would also like the look. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DruOdil View Post
    I was thinking about finishing the top of the 2 trunk humps. They are flat on top. If you cut out the rectangle on top and then finish the shape from the round sides on the rear half it would scoop air in, F-1 style. They would be small and really help pull air in. I would also like the look. What do you think?
    It might work on an R, if you get it above the head(s) but I don't think there's anywhere near enough pressure behind a full windsheild.

There's always the 'brute-force' approach:

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DruOdil View Post
    What would be cool is the turbo compressor sound right behind your head!

I'm a fan of the side scoops Mechie3's building. It should work if you face the intercooler sideways.