FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vman's 818 Design Ideas

Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to find something in one of my old 818 threads, and came across one of my threads that I forgot about. It is pretty much like this thread in the sense of links to albums in the #1 post. it still has some relevant stuff in it.

So I added the link to Vman's 818 Design Mod.s to post #1

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    It was nothing at you what you said was fine.
    Oh I know, I was more talking about FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Oh I know, I was more talking about FFR.
    ah, ok I got ya!

Post Thanks / Like
    Vman have you seen theses examples?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Vman have you seen theses examples?
    I like the Lic Plate mod on the black, but that one is to high angle wise.

The blue one is not bad, still off just a bit, to grainy and it has the add on spoiler. Sorry for being so picky.

Thank you very much for looking, if you know where to look for pictures, please do

Just a matter of time before that one rear shot shows up somewhere.

Again thank you very much for looking

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-11-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would the ideal photo have: outdoor lighting or at least balanced lighting all around, at about 20' distance zoomed in, with the lens height the same as the mid point of the rear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Would the ideal photo have: outdoor lighting or at least balanced lighting all around, at about 20' distance zoomed in, with the lens height the same as the mid point of the rear?
    yes, with the camera lens just a little below mid point. You can tell if you are too high, if you are seeing anything that is fwd of the top of the rear fenders. That blue picture you post is just about right from top to bottom, so is that white one I posted in Post #26 which is perfect other then being taken too much to the right. Bob n cincy was nice enough to post the link for that one.

oh btw if you plan on taking a pic, look out for objects from behind you that may end up in the reflection.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    For those that remember the Blue/white 818 Cad model (see posts #2 & 3) that kind of shine, with a single color, like grey but Solid Works screen shots (front, rear, side, top). kind of like the pic below only with each view in their own screen shot.

I wish this pic from FFR was at least twice the size, it would be good for mock-ups.

818 CAD sm.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be posting some mock-up of the side view later tonigh/early morning. They are not the Vantage 4.0 stuff (blending FFR 818 with Vantage 3.0) they are what I guess you could call a possible 818 Gen 2.

If I have time I might start the conversation about my MCS (Modular Component System) ideas.

Come 11Pm after my favorite TV shows are over......lol

David

Post Thanks / Like

MCS (Modular Component System)

Background on how this all came about.

Just after FFR released the 1st CAD pictures of the 818 (818R blue/white model), my mind starting going to work away to change the looks of the 818 by just changing out panels etc. This was not just on the outside but also for the interior as well, and even possible for a drivetrain.

So back I guess about 2yr.s or so, the big hamster wheel in my head started working overtime......lol

Back in Feb, 2013 FFR and Dave Smith showed up in Tampa for a Cruise-In. I had a chance to meet Dave Smith, I was there early before most of the people showed up. I didn't get a chance to talk to Dave then, mostly because he was helping set everything up. I ended up talking about with Scott aka Honey Badger a lot during the event. Not tell people start leaving did I get a chance to talk with Dave Smith, but only briefly, since Dave was signing autographs and trying to answer other peoples questions. I did not want to come off as overbearing so I didn't push my ideas. I told Dave Smith a little of some ideas I had, and Dave gave me his business card and said email him.

A few days later I emailed Dave Smith with a short email going over some of his private msg.s that he sent me. So after the 1st email Dave asked me to remind him of the private msg.s. I included the private msg.s in the next email, which was pretty long. I got into mostly talking about the 818 and possibilities for the future, and possibly working with Dave Smith and FFR in the future.

I won't get into the details that I wrote in the email, mostly due to that is between Dave Smith and I, and also for myself because of possible future endeavors. In other words, screw myself by giving out to much detail on my ideas, and then someone else picks up on it and steals them.

I never heard back from Dave Smith after that long email. Not sure if Dave didn't really care and was just being nice, or if he just got way too busy with business and such. I like to think it was the latter

Some think I should be a little more assertive with Dave Smith and FFR. It makes a little anxious about doing that, which really isn't me, since I tend to be assertive, but not aggressive. I just get anxious about the whole idea, because I don't really desire to harm and chance of possibly working with Dave Smith and FFR.

I hope to at some point be able to talk with Dave Smith.

So Dave Smith by chance you happen to read this, private msg, email me

Ok now for the part everybody is probably more interested in then my yakking above....lol

The MCS (Modular Component System) Basics.

The overall idea is to be able to change out modules anywhere on the 818 body. I'll use the Rear for now as an example.

There would be the main Rear panel which would have areas for tail lights, vents, exhaust etc. that are already open. Then as a customer you would choose the module you like to use. Tail light modules, vent modules etc..
    Then just install them. They would go in with guide pins and screws.

This would be the same for the rest of the 818, including the interior.

The trick is getting the best base panels, mostly for the front and rear, that would work the best with the most interchangeable modules.

Ok there you go, just the basics on the MCS (modular Component System)

Now back to smoothing out some stuff on the 818 side view

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-14-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea. I'm mostly satisfied with the side panels and the hood. The curves aren't bad at all and look pretty OEM IMO. The front and rear bumpers are what I would be mostly likely to change, and the easiest components to change as well. The bumpers just look a little too flat and simple as though they were using DFM (design for manufacture) and focusing on easier manufacturing vs more OEM look.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I was with Dave Smith yesterday for most of the day. Your name came up and every time it did he heaped praise. If your desire is to work for Factory 5...Imho...you are going at it wrong. My advise is to fly out to the Factory and sit down with Dave. No harm no foul in doing this. Understand Dave runs the company, but he has others that engineer, design, sell, cut, weld and build. All these people do the jobs Dave expects of them and from what I have seen they excel at far more then simply meeting expectations. You are gifted no doubt but insulting the design in open forum (subliminally or otherwise) of the guy that designed the 818 and the person that would be your direct supervisor is not the best of ideas. Jim S. when and if you get the pleasure to meet him, is a very quiet but confident man. He does not say much and is not one to hold grudges. When he does talk, his words are chosen wisely and I have never heard him say a bad thing about anyone. I say all of this for personal benifit of me, I feel you would be a great addition to F5R and Jim (in my opinion) would not be the person preventing that from happen (I am sure he knows talents like yours is a great tool). But as I said, Dave has people in positions that he wants, he does not need the illusion of compition within the ranks. I say again, sit down with Dave, not at a show, not at over email exchanges....do it face to face. Factory Five is stable and growing, it would be a wonderful opportunity for you....if you give yourself that chance.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very well said Kalstar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Very well said Kalstar
    Poor spelling+ iPhone = Not priceless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well I for one hope you join FFR. You have some amazing ideas. Keep at it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    I was with Dave Smith yesterday for most of the day. Your name came up and every time it did he heaped praise. If your desire is to work for Factory 5...Imho...you are going at it wrong. My advise is to fly out to the Factory and sit down with Dave. No harm no foul in doing this. Understand Dave runs the company, but he has others that engineer, design, sell, cut, weld and build. All these people do the jobs Dave expects of them and from what I have seen they excel at far more then simply meeting expectations. You are gifted no doubt but insulting the design in open forum (subliminally or otherwise) of the guy that designed the 818 and the person that would be your direct supervisor is not the best of ideas. Jim S. when and if you get the pleasure to meet him, is a very quiet but confident man. He does not say much and is not one to hold grudges. When he does talk, his words are chosen wisely and I have never heard him say a bad thing about anyone. I say all of this for personal benifit of me, I feel you would be a great addition to F5R and Jim (in my opinion) would not be the person preventing that from happen (I am sure he knows talents like yours is a great tool). But as I said, Dave has people in positions that he wants, he does not need the illusion of compition within the ranks. I say again, sit down with Dave, not at a show, not at over email exchanges....do it face to face. Factory Five is stable and growing, it would be a wonderful opportunity for you....if you give yourself that chance.
    Herein lies the problem, I just can't afford to fly up to FFR, money has been way to tight the last few years. I couldn't even afford to go to my Dad's funeral back in 2012, but I did something more important, I went and saw my Dad 2 months before hand, but I just could't afford to fly twice, it took me 6 months to pay off that expense.

Hence going to the Cruise in at Tampa. Mostly just to introduce myself to Dave Smith.

First off thank you for conveying Dave Smith's praise, I really appreciate that

Second I never really insulted the 818 design. I have always said that it is a good overall design, but it could be improved. Things can always be improved on. That is not an insult, that is structural criticism. The whole idea is to develop the 818 in the best that it can be.

I get all that you said about Dave being pres etc. and people he has working for him doing all the engineering etc.

My desire is not to work for FFR, but with them. There is a big difference.

A friend of my suggested either calling Dave Smith and possibly setting up a video conference. So that is one way to go.

The email, pvt msg thing is just a way to make 1st contact.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-14-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Vman is proposing more of a progression of the original swatch watch concept that Dave Smith himself proposed. FFR has been busy wrapping up the standard 818, Vman has just been branching out into an area that FFR hasn't had time to yet.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Vmans ideas are very good no doubt, but so were many artist that entered the design contest. But we all know how that went. Hopefully they take some of his ideas and work with him. A lot of is have had great ideas for the design and mechanical aspects, just not sure FFR has intentions of listening to it all. They got good street credit but sometimes might need a step outside to not be complacent.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I think Vman is proposing more of a progression of the original swatch watch concept that Dave Smith himself proposed. FFR has been busy wrapping up the standard 818, Vman has just been branching out into an area that FFR hasn't had time to yet.
    Don't be so sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps I should clarify "that FFR hasn't had time to bring to market yet". I'm also lumping in the hardtop with the standard 818 if that makes any difference.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Perhaps I should clarify "that FFR hasn't had time to bring to market yet". I'm also lumping in the hardtop with the standard 818 if that makes any difference.
    Ok I'll give you "to market". But there is more to the story. Stay tuned or come to the open house in June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright spill the beans.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your implying that the hardtop will be available by the time the open house is here. We really need a hot list for it, cant finish body work until that's available. Only if they would just reveal it by the HB show instead. But back on topic hopefully something comes out of this thread. It definitely has its merits and the ideas and designs are insane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet. Now we just need pics.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok I'll give you "to market". But there is more to the story. Stay tuned or come to the open house in June.
    Hmmmm hmmmm hm
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm...........well if there are changes that change the overall look again. Looks like I'll have to put things on hold again.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I would have had a few really good front and rear pictures 2yr.s ago I would have been way ahead. Seems like I am always playing catchup with 818. It gets frustrating.

Well I gues back to working on the 33 again for about 6 months, until after open house to see what FFR came up with.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of teases.......lol

I'll throw one out. If I ever post the design ideas on the GTM Bird of Prey design, it would blow ppl away!! But I have for now decided not to do that, since most of the ppl that due a GTM have bucks, and if I am going to give away the Bird of Prey I might as well get paid for it...........lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Flynntuna. I am not a liberty to spill the beans. What I can say is I got a sneak peek before the 818 came out and this time around I am even more excited. Vman could you find the way to drive up instead of Fly? I think a meeting with Dave would be enlightening. I am not any different then everyone else on this forum, I think we all would like to see your ideas layed in with what F5R produces. Don't give up just yet on us 818'ers, you are quite gifted and your ideas will be worked into builders cars and hopefully the production cars down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    Speaking of teases.......lol

I'll throw one out. If I ever post the design ideas on the GTM Bird of Prey design, it would blow ppl away!! But I have for now decided not to do that, since most of the ppl that due a GTM have bucks, and if I am going to give away the Bird of Prey I might as well get paid for it...........lol
    Trade you plane tickets for it....half kidding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flynntuna. I am not a liberty to spill the beans. What I can say is I got a sneak peek before the 818 came out and this time around I am even more excited. Vman could you find the way to drive up instead of Fly? I think a meeting with Dave would be enlightening. I am not any different then everyone else on this forum, I think we all would like to see your ideas layed in with what F5R produces. Don't give up just yet on us 818'ers, you are quite gifted and your ideas will be worked into builders cars and hopefully the production cars down the road.
    I did the math about a year or so ago between driving up or flying up. It would cost more to drive. I would to meet with Dave, just can't afford anyway I try to do it. That's why I am trying other ways

Not giving up, just looks like putting 818 stuff on hold again. I like to be ahead of curve, but it seams with 818 like I said, I am always playing catch up.

Just wish FFR would give me some kind of heads up for time to time. I remember telling Dave Smith I was willing to help on design stuff and if Dave wanted to keep it secret, no problem.

At times I kind of feel like a mushroom......lol

btw thanks for somlement.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Trade you plane tickets for it....half kidding.
    lol........that's why it's a tease........lol Mostly I have only done sketches on the bird of prey, very little in photoshop as of yet.
    some of my ideas I'll sketch out before bringing them into photoshop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to find a different hobby.............rofl maybe collecting hockey pucks!!! yeah that's the ticket.......rofl

Post Thanks / Like
    June is an awfully long time to wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a proposition for you. Design me 3 different wrap designs in photoshop (not single color either) and I'll get you a round trip ticket.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a proposition for you. Design me 3 different wrap designs in photoshop (not single color either) and I'll get you a round trip ticket.
    Depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for color changes or graphics?

Post Thanks / Like
    <<<<smacking head on keyboard...jqwp oiuq4twen otui 3qj n9

I need to see psychiatrist.........rofl
    I keep allowing myself to keep getting drawn back into this 818 stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I cleaned up this post or I should say I deleted it basicly.

What I said was inappropriate and I should not have taken out my troubles and frustrations on some.

If I offended anyone who happen to see this post before I changed it. I was wrong it what I said. Therefore without making any excuses I apologize and ask for your forgivenss.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-17-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this...
    rofl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast