Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Details on New Factory Five 818C Coupe

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Coupe/removable hard top is definitely going to affect the rear panels. The original design goal of a "paint-free" body was really derided as we came up a bit short on the process (likely the only design goal out of maybe 12 that wasn't executed fully), but the related benefits even without thermoformed machine made panels at this point were also that as qtr panels and body panels more akin to a modern car than a larger fiberglass body vintage replica, without seams, the panels are less expensive to make, easier to change, and as long as the chassis/steel mount points are maintained, easy to upgrade any serial numbered 818, thereby rewarding the early adopters while using the success of the design to drive accelerated versions. The success of the platform drives changes/upgrades and derivatives so the "swatch watch" philosophy is intact with the 818S, followed by the 818R and 818C and perhaps further, looking at power trains and other derivatives years down the road. As far as reliability is concerned, the cars have logged tons of miles under serious track testing and are pretty tough, we're just really pushing the edge of failure in a lot of areas with the car as part of a fairly well-thought out testing and development regimen (and as part of a hair-brained television pilot!) that is, of course constrained to a budget somewhat less than a Formula 1 team. We've logged tons of laps and miles in the development cars and I was simply sharing my sincere desire to see a track prepped 818C that will HAVE to come after the street coupe. The level of success of the 818 is phenomenal from SEMA awards, design awards, press, sheer volume of on-line builds and really exceptional performance. Lastly, while I am never going to be "happy" with where we are since my job is the future more than the present, I can't help but feel immense pride in the team and customers involved in the early stages of this 818 story. Compared to other efforts to launch new designs in the component car industry, the team has executed the goals stage by stage with patience, hard work, maturity, (a thick skin), and kindness, never taking their eyes off the ball and never forgetting that the real role of this car is not to sell this week or this month, but to add to the company's long term foundational efforts to become a truly great iconic american sportscar company whose greatness will be defined by the quality, performance and real value of our cars as much as by the stories and friendships those cars build. What I learned from all the conflict with Shelby was that a great company or great car is really a great story that is fun to share. It may sound a bit dramatic to say it that way, but that is the simple clear reason for the 818 to exist and to continue to evolve in support of the design goals that exist to support the long term goals that are quite ambitious. Late night and I better stop typing. slammed today, but 818 progress report is coming.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 01-22-2015 at 10:51 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing