Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: So I just bought a partially complete GTM...now what?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool So I just bought a partially complete GTM...now what?

Hello Lords and Ladies,

I have so many dumb questions that are a result of picking up someone else's project, and a few more such questions that are all me.

The trouble all started when someone I know showed me a flyer for a commercial bankruptcy auction and highlighted a "cool car" among the lots of industrial junk being offered. He asked me what it was, but of course, I knew too well what lay under the dusty primer colored exterior and in the boxes also pictured - a first gen GTM basket case.

The vehicle was a test mule for a company that developed hydrogen-powered electric vehicles, and it was missing all the cosmetic elements that might inspire someone unfamiliar with the GTM to bid much for it. Alarm bells should have been going off, but I've kind of been smitten with the GTM since I attended the 2009 Knott's Berry Farm Kit Car Show and met the FF guys in their full-court press. Instead of alarm bells, a little guy with horns and a pitchfork started whispering.

Short story: I now own a vehicle that reached the runner stage while powered by a now missing electric motor. It is on C5 donor running gear, I am told, and has a G50 trans installed. The frame has been lightly modified to allow some electric drive components to fit. All sheet metal is installed, brakes are plumbed. and electrical is in rudimentary form. One door is hung, but the hood and the driver door were duct taped on. No glass, mirrors, lights, etc, are mounted on the primered body. What else is lurking in the boxes? Ey! What did I get myself into?

I moved the vehicle to the aircraft hangar/shop I share, and rolled down the door last night without telling anyone.

Get ready for the stupid questions. Anyone in the San Diego region willing to allow me to look at your build/completed car and begin to get my mind around this?

Mentors wanted.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    I just read your post on an 818 build thread.
    I am in Ramona, you can come by and check out my 818 build on most weekends. Or you can see my bosses 818 in Mira Mesa during business hours.

I drive by your electric truck company on my way to and from work. I occasionally see, what must be your test vehicles, driving around the Scripps Pwy Pkwy area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    Post this up in the GTM forum. We will give lots of help to figure out what you want to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your find. Roger