Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Intercooler Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Intercooler Questions

So went to mount the intercooler over the weekend and have a few questions.

What does the drivers side mount look like as I don't have one, also on the drivers side there is a place for a hose, where does this hose come from, I have a hose from what looks like the valve cove but that seems to be the only hose in the vicinity ?

WP_20150215_11_40_45_Pro.jpg WP_20150215_11_40_36_Pro.jpg

Also on the passenger's side, I found as hose near but seems it was facing the wrong way, so not sure if it belongs to the intercooler or not (lower hose in picture)

WP_20150215_11_40_01_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Tony,

I have an WRX (not STI), but if it's the same, the hard lines are there to connect and join the cylinder head (VC) breathers and go to the turbo intake. I just replaced my OEM TMIC with a AWIC, so I ran 1/2" fuel line with a 'T' connector instead.

If you need a driver's side TMIC mount, you can have mine (I can take a photo this evening to confirm).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Hi Tony,

I have an WRX (not STI), but if it's the same, the hard lines are there to connect and join the cylinder head (VC) breathers and go to the turbo intake. I just replaced my OEM TMIC with a AWIC, so I ran 1/2" fuel line with a 'T' connector instead.

If you need a driver's side TMIC mount, you can have mine (I can take a photo this evening to confirm).
    So the hose from the head on the driver's side go to the hard line on the intercooler? Does it tee off anywhere as the hose from the head looks too short and must have had a additional hose added ? My mount seems to have been misplaced, it attaches to the top of the intake manifold
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    So the hose from the head on the driver's side go to the hard line on the intercooler? Does it tee off anywhere as the hose from the head looks too short and must have had a additional hose added ? My mount seems to have been misplaced, it attaches to the top of the intake manifold
    Yes, at least on the WRX IC, there are three fittings. The hoses from each valve cover go directly to the hardlines on the IC, which join together, and then one goes to the turbo inlet. I don't know if the STI is different, though. Nothing really to do with the IC, just how Subaru chose to run the breather lines.

I think I misplaced my passenger side mount, but I know I have the driver's side if you want it. I won't be able to get to it til later this evening, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is this the bracket you need? I'm pretty sure it's the driver's side, but I removed it a while ago and mounted an AWIC.

0216151848_Medium.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Is this the bracket you need? I'm pretty sure it's the driver's side, but I removed it a while ago and mounted an AWIC.
    No banana, as it looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-21885...-/331420492021 thanks for looking though !
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It must the other side then. Oh well... I'd rather see my extra pieces go to an 818!

BTW, since you're building an R, you might want to consider an AWIC, or at least improved/sealed ducting and/or a fan for the TMIC with a post-IC IAT sensor. Heatsoak has been an issue for some on the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lee, I think the bracket you posted bolts to the turbo/downpipe to hold a heat shield. Not 100% certain. Lee is correct about the breather vents on the heads connecting to the hard line and then feeding into the turbo inlet.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Lee, I think the bracket you posted bolts to the turbo/downpipe to hold a heat shield. Not 100% certain. Lee is correct about the breather vents on the heads connecting to the hard line and then feeding into the turbo inlet.
    Do on the drivers side there is a tube coming from the head but it stops way short of the hard line on the intercooler (see picture), so either the line tees or there is connector ? Also on the passenger side I assume the output of the turbo feeds on of the hard lines and the other hard line is the head on the passenger side ?

I'm going to try to shake out the car w/o a awic and a dry sump (and I'm sure other items) and add them before its too late and when I need them
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony
    Here are my hose coming off the driver side valve cover.
    Bob
    dr.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Some years had a hard line built into the green brackets that covered the fuel injectors. Just replace it with a silicone or rubber hose.ignore the red circle in the pic.

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Lee, I think the bracket you posted bolts to the turbo/downpipe to hold a heat shield. Not 100% certain.
    Oops; could be; thought it was the bracket in question... that was in a box of unused parts that came off the top of the motor. Sorry for any confusion!

Do on the drivers side there is a tube coming from the head but it stops way short of the hard line on the intercooler (see picture), so either the line tees or there is connector ? Also on the passenger side I assume the output of the turbo feeds on of the hard lines and the other hard line is the head on the passenger side ?
    Your hose must have been cut... on both sides of my WRX and all I've seen, it goes straight from the head breather port to the IC hard line; just pick up a rubber hose. Since my AWIC has no hard lines, I re-routed them all with fuel line (1/2" IIRC) and a plastic T. Just to clarify, the hard lines join, and the third line goes pre-turbo, to one of the vacuum ports on the inlet, not on the turbo output; I think that would be bad!

I'm going to try to shake out the car w/o a awic and a dry sump (and I'm sure other items) and add them before its too late and when I need them
    Just be careful, the OEM IAT sensor is in the MAF, pre-turbo, so you have no warning of IC heatsoak until the ECU detects detonation (pre-ignition) and pulls timing. Other builder's bad luck with the TMIC (and resulting motor rebuilds) convinced me to go with a AWIC. I'm building a street-car, which can probably make do, but I assume an R will be tracked and get hammered on. Call me conservative, but I've experienced major issues with improper thermal management in a product we build at work, so I'm taking no chances!