FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How I am mounting my grilles

Post Thanks / Like

How I am mounting my grilles

Here is a step by step of how I am mounting my grilles. This will allow me to remove them for paint if I ever get that far.

First step is to cut the perforated material a little smaller than the trim ring.

Next lay both pieces in the recess and line them up so that they fit well and no perforated material is shown around the edges. Mark any 2 holes through the perforated material.

Remove the trim ring and drill the holes you plan to use to bolt it down. I drilled them the same size as the existing holes. 3/16 diameter.

Put the trim ring back in and mark where the body needs to be cut.

Next counter sink the holes that you transferred to the body. I used 6-32 flat head screws.

After all the holes were countersunk, I powder coated both pieces semi gloss black
    Last edited by michael everson; 03-02-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

After the powder coating has cooled, epoxy the 6-32 screws in the holes you counter sunk.

Run a bead of black silicone around the perimeter of the trim ring and place it on top of the perforated material and clamp in place.

Here is a different panel installed on the car. Just unbolt and remove if needed.
    This opening still needs final trimming.
    Mike
    Last edited by michael everson; 03-02-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that idea! I've been thinking about driving my car a bit and getting it inspected and tagged before I paint it. I didn't want it to look unfinished though by leaving all the openings open. I'm going to have to copy that one.

Larry