Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fryguy's 818R with 2004 STI Donor Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Damaged Axle Shaft

I was having a hell of a time trying to get the rear outer CV back onto the rear axle shaft. The circlip was a real *****. Using a hose clamp and a hammer didn’t work. So I took the 12 ton press to it and damaged the splines.

The sad thing is I only removed the rear outer CV to investigate which axle shaft to use. Then discovered the rear shafts were the ones. Sigh….off to eBay to find another rear axle assy.
    Last edited by fryguy; 04-10-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your local Subaru speed shop. they'll probably have some that are fine other than the boot being torn. I got mine for $20

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate those circlips. The best way I have found to get the CV on is to tap it lightly with a hammer until the circlip is resting against the CV, then press down on the CV with your hand holding constant pressure while then going in with a flat head screwdriver and pushing the circlip into the groove. The downward pressure your hand provides on the CV keeps the circlip from moving around as you use the screwdriver to put it in its groove. I actually just did mine last night and using this technique I was able to get them on very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a zip tie and they literally just slid in. no hammer involved

Post Thanks / Like
    Compress it with hose clamp and tap the CV on with a mallet works well too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. I also cut out that area for the six-speed. I'm curious why no one's welding the holes closed in the tail. Afraid of warpage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, you guys make it sound so easy! Tried the hose clamp method without any luck. I am using the STI rear shaft. The groove in the FFR shaft is deeper and looks wider. I think that makes easier. Yet another STI issue it seems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fryguy
    Did you remove the star,balls and cage?
    It looks like the star has a taper on the side you are inserting from.
    Bob
    axles.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Fryguy
    Did you remove the star,balls and cage?
    It looks like the star has a taper on the side you are inserting from.
    Bob
    axles.jpg
    I didn't remove the internals, but did notice the taper. That's why I thought using the 12-ton press would work with that taper pressing the circlip in. But that didn't happen and I ended up crushing the splines instead. How did you remove the internals of the rear outer CV and then put it back together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
    I didn't remove the internals, but did notice the taper. That's why I thought using the 12-ton press would work with that taper pressing the circlip in. But that didn't happen and I ended up crushing the splines instead. How did you remove the internals of the rear outer CV and then put it back together?
    To remove them, I put the shaft in a 5" vise about 1/2 way down the shaft. with the outer joint down.
    Pulled up the boot.
    Used a 2x4 16" long with a tapered point to a 1" x 3/4" flat point
    Whacked that with a 3 lbs sledge about 6 times. My son was ready to catch the whole upright.

To assemble, I tried the Wayne's hose clamp method with success.
    See http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post111287

Edit: To remove the balls and cage. Tap one side down until a ball is up and it comes out. repeat until all is out.
    To assemble, reverse the process.
    Bob

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 04-11-2015 at 08:54 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Front Firewall and Intrusion Panels

Finished most of the front firewall, intrusion panels, and interior panels. Rather than using rivets and drilling into the chassis tubes, I ended up welding on a bunch of tabs and using 1/4 and 10-32 rivnuts.

For the intrusion panels, I used 6061-T6 1/8". The interior panels were actually the FFR exteriors, but I trimmed them for the interior. All the panels are then fastened using 1″ counter sunk spacers.

Also cut away the door mount plates.
    Last edited by fryguy; 05-03-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Work. Any plans on making it street legal at some point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    Nice Work. Any plans on making it street legal at some point?
    Yeah, I would like to. Isn't your inspection in just a few days? Where at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I would like to. Isn't your inspection in just a few days? Where at?
    It's tomorrow at the Tacoma location. Ill let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent today figuring out which axle shaft is going to be just right. From others, it sounded like I was going to be using the front shafts and dealing with the extra length. Well that’s not the case with the 2004 STI. Fortunately, I can use the rear shafts. So with a 2004 STI you can use the rears, keep the outer CV on and then just switch out the inner with the front inner.

Here are the specs:
    Axle / Spline Count / Diameter / Length

FFR 80237/ 29 / 0.935″ / 20.75″

2004 STI Front Shaft / 32-30 / 1.02″-0.9625″ / 20.75″

2004 STI Rear Shaft / 30 / 0.9625″ / 20.75″

This is interesting. I used a 2006 STI as a donor, so I could use the front shafts with the front inners and rear outers. I never noticed that on the 2004 the fronts outers were 32 spline, not 30. Of course with the 2004 STI you are getting 5x100s as well.

Cool to see another 6-speed/STI build!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sponaugle View Post
    This is interesting. I used a 2006 STI as a donor, so I could use the front shafts with the front inners and rear outers. I never noticed that on the 2004 the fronts outers were 32 spline, not 30. Of course with the 2004 STI you are getting 5x100s as well.

Cool to see another 6-speed/STI build!

Jeff
    Well, actually I have 5x114 knuckles and hubs. I am the original owner on this STI and many years back I did the upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, actually I have 5x114 knuckles and hubs. I am the original owner on this STI and many years back I did the upgrade.
    Ah yea, my mistake for missing that. Are the 2006 STI rears axles the same? If so you can have mine, as I don't need them.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah yea, my mistake for missing that. Are the 2006 STI rears axles the same? If so you can have mine, as I don't need them.

Jeff
    I dont believe they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    I dont believe they are.
    Yea, the SM says the 04 STI rears are BJ87+DOJ87, 295.2mm long, 25mm diameter. The 06 STI is EBJ+EDJ, 25mm diameter, and 316mm long. Same diameter, but I didn't realize the 06 STIs would be longer. Of course if he switched to 5x114s, he may have also switched to the 05+ axles?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, the SM says the 04 STI rears are BJ87+DOJ87, 295.2mm long, 25mm diameter. The 06 STI is EBJ+EDJ, 25mm diameter, and 316mm long. Same diameter, but I didn't realize the 06 STIs would be longer. Of course if he switched to 5x114s, he may have also switched to the 05+ axles?

Jeff
    No, I still have the original 04 axles (Actually, 1 axle since I damaged the other). The 5x114 upgrade kit allowed the use of the original axles. I don't remember who I bought them from since that was many years ago. It may have been these guys: http://www.licmotorsports.com/produc...i_lic-03079012

Post Thanks / Like

More Panels, Tabs, and Rivnuts

I think I am overdue for an update!
    My goal is to rivnut most of the panels. This requires fabricating and welding on a bunch of tabs.

Front underbody:

Center underbody:

Side body panels (with CF splitters):

I picked up a JD2 M3 tube bender for building my own rear chassis wing mount/transmission protection.

Digging the open rear end and the rear attached wing supports; wonder if anyone has tried this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work.
    Looking forward to seeing your wing mount. I am planning to build mine using aluminum round and square tube and plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice fasteners! Did you mention somewhere what they are?

BTW I want that Porsche as is. lolll
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Very nice fasteners! Did you mention somewhere what they are?

BTW I want that Porsche as is. lolll
    They are 1/4-20 rivnuts, 1/4-20 countersunk screws, and Allstar Performance (ALL18664-50) countersunk washers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea on the welded tabs for the floor panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Digging the open rear end and the rear attached wing supports; wonder if anyone has tried this.
    I am still a ways away from building my wing mount, but I would like to do something like that to facilitate access to the engine/trans area without removing and handling the $2k rear wing every time. I'm not going to go totally open rear end, though.

I'm jealous of that tubing bender. Been waiting for an excuse to buy one for a long time. Be sure to post what you make with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a friendly reminder- You are going to need to cut the outside intrusion panels for the Coolant and AWIC lines to pass through. Also, throw the outer lap harness eye bolts on now. With that inner panel too, it will be a Biatch later to bolt them in. Looks good.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Just a friendly reminder- You are going to need to cut the outside intrusion panels for the Coolant and AWIC lines to pass through. Also, throw the outer lap harness eye bolts on now. With that inner panel too, it will be a Biatch later to bolt them in. Looks good.
    +1 on belt mounts before intrusion panels. Same with seat mounting, depending on how you mount it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the tabs! Especially since they're simpler than what I had planned. =)

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the rear as we seem to be on the same page. Round tube bumper & wing mount with open rear end. I'm likely going completely open in the rear. I picked up a slim LED bar that I'll use for a brake light, but I don't need the rest of the rear lighting provisions FFR supplies in their panel. Besides, for me an important part of the rear bumper bar strategy is a crush-space of at least 6" from the trans input shaft, and that will take me way past the plane of the supplied rear panel.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Love the tabs! Especially since they're simpler than what I had planned. =)

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the rear as we seem to be on the same page. Round tube bumper & wing mount with open rear end. I'm likely going completely open in the rear. I picked up a slim LED bar that I'll use for a brake light, but I don't need the rest of the rear lighting provisions FFR supplies in their panel. Besides, for me an important part of the rear bumper bar strategy is a crush-space of at least 6" from the trans input shaft, and that will take me way past the plane of the supplied rear panel.

Best,
    -j
    Ditto on most of these ideas. I purchased this Speedway, 60 piece tab and gusset kit. I think it is a great investment for attaching all kinds of things. Pieces are nicely made and tumble deburred. If you want more details of thicknesses or shapes in the kit, just ask.

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I cannot wait to see how this car turns out! I'll be following your thread throughout the build. You're making great progress already.. Keep it up!
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

Post Thanks / Like

Trans Protection and Rear Wing Chassis Mount

I am long overdue for an update so here goes. I have been slowly working on the rear car and putting together a solution to protect the transmission and also provide a rear wing mount.
    These were the inspirations.

Welded some mounts to the rear chassis brace.

Set up the frame for this structure. I used clevis ends on the tubing ends to attach to the chassis. That way I can remove the whole structure if I need to pull the engine.

Fabricated some saddle gussets to reinforce the cross members.

I cut away a lot of the rear bumper. The plan is to replace the cutout with a black metal mesh and then just go with a pair of circular tail lights on the ends. The rear wing supports would then attach through there along with running the exhaust through the center.

I have a cross member that protects the transmission.

The whole thing can rotate up or be completely removed.
    Last edited by fryguy; 06-20-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the total weight ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    What is the total weight ?
    Just under 11 lbs. I am using 1" OD X 0.058" WALL 4130 ALLOY STEEL TUBE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12