Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: InfinityBox Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

InfinityBox Wiring

So has any one done a wiring harness for the 818S using the Infinitybox Intelligent Wiring?

The only reason I ask is because I have a electrical background and so I would like to build my own harness and I like the idea of the using Infinitybox,
    and was wondering if any body have used it and is there any tip and tricks out there before diving in to this!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted them and it "seems" as simple as matching colors to your OEM connectors, or so I was told. A little skeptical that it would be so easy. I'm curious to see a completed harness myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to start wiring soon with the InfinityBox system. The lead time for parts was significantly longer than I hoped, but everything is here now and I just need to wrap up the intercooler work then I'll get started. There will still be a good bit of the original harness in place between the ECU and the engine and the ECU and the dash. The rest of the wiring looks like very simple point to point wires.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a full InfinityBox custom 3-cell kit wiring, no Subaru wiring at all. I am building every single connection and every single wire on the entire car. Very lengthy process cuz of the design time (I have put around 100-150h so far on the design+build (wiring only!!!!) and I am not done yet). All the charts I have to do myself. You can virtually do almost anything with Infinity. Almost. I have reached its limits 2-3 times so far, so I had to do a few compromises, but it's pretty interesting anyway.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Frank,
    Can you even use the Infinity box to replace the ECU? "Charts" as in electrical schematics? Would you mind sharing them?
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this is the right place to ask.... I've read a lot of people posting about the InfinityBox but despite all the posts and checking their website, I'm still clueless as to what it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    Frank,
    Can you even use the Infinity box to replace the ECU? "Charts" as in electrical schematics? Would you mind sharing them?
    Frank's using a VW VR6 motor, so has a different ECU than the rest of us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ahh, then that makes more sense as to why he's redoing all the wiring.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    Frank,
    Nope. Infinity does not replace an ECU, no matter what ECU it is. It however does everything else the ECU does not do. It can do a very few things the ECU can, but very basic stuff like triggering the rad fan on/off based on thermostatic switches, for example. No real need for an ECU for that task. But controlling the injectors, coils, traction control, stability control, launch control, cam control, etc., not at all.

Sorry yes I meant electrical schematics. I can share all I got, but not sure you'd find it really useful since like wleehendrick said I am going a totally different way than Subaru. Hell, I even cut the Subaru Security Unit's connector plug and used it as my one and only plug for steering column. At the moment all my installation guide is written, not drawn yet. I want to wait until everything is completed and no more important changes before I draw (Visio probably). I am not quick with those things. Let me know if you want to see something. There are a few things in common, my 818 Assignment Chart is based on the Subaru one Jay provided a while back (there is a thread), although I have quite some changes of course. I found a few mistakes in that assignment charts as well, same for the installation guide Jay provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Maybe this is the right place to ask.... I've read a lot of people posting about the InfinityBox but despite all the posts and checking their website, I'm still clueless as to what it does.
    Above is part of the answer. It can replace all the car's wiring, but the ECU. Basically Infinity works like this: INPUT -> personality -> Output. It replaces any relays and the fuses are plugged within the Powercells on the circuit board. It has a computer on the Mastercell to show you diagnostics and stuff that don't work. I haven't gone that far yet to try it out.

For example it works like this: if you engage the left turn signal using the left arm of the steering column, the input will go the MasterCell (the brain) and the Mastercell will match that input with the personality you decided, which is trigger the left turn signal and not roll down your front left window. Then it will send via CAN wire (the nervous system) a signal to the Front and Rear PowerCells (the muscles) to trigger the left turn bulbs. That's it.

There are a LOT of custom stuff you can do. I am using the inTOUCH module which allows you to connect to the car with any browser and all the inputs (buttons) can be placed in the browser, in a sort of personal website within the car. You press on the virtual button and it sends the output to the powercell. I have cut a lot of wires and switches using that. ACC, IGN, STARTER, other devices... I am not using the key (or physical push button) to start/stop the engine, I have removed the wires from there. Rasmus would be happy to know I have lightened my steering column!! lolll

There are less wires with that system cuz of that reason for once and the other reason, most important, is that the Front Mastercell communicates with the rear powercell using 4 little wires (the CAN wires). No need to send all your outputs to the rear. I also find the schematics A LOT easier to work with than a normal car. In fact, a one pager could show all wires.

Let me know if I can help for other Qs.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021