Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The build is picking up some speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Kempo...That's a really nice wing set-up! I'm starting research on rear wing mounting and your post is very helpful. Will you have to modify any panels where the braces are?

Your build looks great and is progressing quickly...Good Luck

Karl
    GTM #362

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaloper View Post
    Kempo...That's a really nice wing set-up! I'm starting research on rear wing mounting and your post is very helpful. Will you have to modify any panels where the braces are?

Your build looks great and is progressing quickly...Good Luck

Karl
    GTM #362
    Karl,
    I haven't test fitted any of the panels that are close to the mount but, it is my understanding that there is no modification needed. At least is not mentioned in the instructions. If you are looking for a mount IMHO this is a 12 in a scale from 10 to 1. HTH

Hugo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kempo,
    Very nice build, looks great!
    I missed where the wing came from and the cost. Can you help me out?

Thanks,
    Radkat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Radkat View Post
    Hi Kempo,
    Very nice build, looks great!
    I missed where the wing came from and the cost. Can you help me out?

Thanks,
    Radkat
    Thanks Radkat. The mount and spoiler came from the same place. Here you can see all the details and prices. http://vraptorspeedworks.com/?page_id=133 He has many GTM custom parts. I have ordered a few of his products and all are top notch. The mount can be used with the wing I have or the other wing he sells. Just remove 4 pins pull one wing of and install the other in just a matter of minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great comments on the wing set-up Kempo! I'm glad you like it! You do need to turn the top 2 alum parts around on each side, and swap them side-to-side though....so the offset is toward the rear to clear the hatch opening on the body.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yet another OUTSTANDING product. Those mounts look as if they will support a tank.

R/s
    Vidal
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Yet another OUTSTANDING product. Those mounts look as if they will support a tank.

R/s
    Vidal
    Thanks Vidal. Yes, when I have to push/pull the car around the shop, that is what I push on. I designed the whole system with the APR wing in mind.....figuring if guys are going to use it for more than just something cool looking, and actually use it for downforce at speed, it was going to have to support some weight and force!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I recieved my tires yesterday. A few friends came over last night and they were impressed on how wide the rear tires are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Holy Steamroller Batman! Those rears are HUGE!!

Me LIKEY!!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    .....figuring if guys are going to use it for more than just something cool looking, and actually use it for downforce at speed, it was going to have to support some weight and force!
    Thats good news. I was wondering where I was going to attach my rear tow hook.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm so jealous! My car can't sell fast enough so I can get into one of these kits!

Your tires and wheel choice is exceptional. I love the spoke design and the colour combo. Very nice work indeed.

You must be proud!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words 00SS_M6LS1. While the Mendeola gets finished and the guy making me a chassis harness gets it done I decided to start with the body fitting. I called my buddy Wally who owns a body shop and he came over this weekend and we got started. We were able to cut most of the holes on the body. I never thought a vacuum cleaner would be so handy when cutting that fibber glass. That dust gets everywhere. We also attached the front end and got it close to where it should be. The gap between the front end and the body really BIG but lets see what happens when we install the latches. The rest is not that far away. Still haven't touched the doors or rear hatch. We also installed Shane's rear wing and it has a perfect fit.

I'm concerned of the rear tires touching the rear fenders on a bump. Maybe some negative camber can solve the clearance problem in case there is really one. Or maybe thinner spacers for the wheel can help. We will see when we get there. Here are some pictures.

Soon to be owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... That is coming along amazingly. I hope that when I can get a GTM it'll look this good

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice. How did you attach the body mount (FFR# 25333) at the rear license plate area?
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. How did you attach the body mount (FFR# 25333) at the rear license plate area?
    I'm holding the rear with one self tapping screw at at the rear. I received in my kit the rear mount for a Gen I. Called FFR and they shipped the correct one on Monday it should arrive tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    I'm holding the rear with one self tapping screw at at the rear. I received in my kit the rear mount for a Gen I. Called FFR and they shipped the correct one on Monday it should arrive tomorrow.
    I too have the Gen1 Part. I'm sure we all do. One would think that FFR would just send these to us once they're developed and in stock. Have you received the hatch or diffuser hardware? Just wondering if I need to ask for these too.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have the Gen1 Part. I'm sure we all do. One would think that FFR would just send these to us once they're developed and in stock. Have you received the hatch or diffuser hardware? Just wondering if I need to ask for these too.
    This is the part I got on the kit. I assume this is part 25333 since it is marked as shipped in the box list.

This is what is showed in my manual and what was shipped to a friend of mine who got his GTM a few weeks ago.

I still haven't received the new diffuser hardware either.

Sorry for the low quality pictures I took them with my phone.
    Last edited by Kempo; 05-18-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming along nicely. I guess that I'm going to have to spend more time over here. I haven't seen these pics on ffcars. As far as the tires go they look great. I fit 345's in the rear of my gen 1 gtm but I guess the back spacing is where its at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the part I got on the kit. I assume this is part 25333 since it is marked as shipped in the box list.

I still haven't received the new diffuser hardware either.

Sorry for the low quality pictures I took them with my phone.
    K,
    Thanks. The first picture shows the Gen1 parts I received as well. Did you friend recieve the hardware shown in the Gen2 Hatch instructions shown on the second picture? I was emailed those instructions as a manual update late last year. I was hoping the Gen2 hatch hardware would shortly follow the new instructions. But that's good news if your friend has the new hardware.

It's becoming a little more critical for me as I have completed mulitiple goKart runs (about 10miles now) and am going to install the top tunnel panels this week-end followed by the body. I'm sure Nitetrain is not going to enjoy installing the new gear, for the first time while working around his new paint. I agree that it is best practice to ship or let us pick up our kits not having all of the parts instock for the simple reason that you don't need every item all at once. But it does get frustrating when items/issues like this go seemingly overlooked until the customer says something.

Great work on your build. It has to be nice having that work space to accomplish this in. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by GTMKris View Post
    Coming along nicely. I guess that I'm going to have to spend more time over here. I haven't seen these pics on ffcars. As far as the tires go they look great. I fit 345's in the rear of my gen 1 gtm but I guess the back spacing is where its at.
    Hmmm...Why haven't you started a build log thread on "ffcars"? I try to keep up on both forums, but I admit that the real build help and knowledge is on the ffcars forum and I spend the majority of my time there.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    K,
    Thanks. The first picture shows the Gen1 parts I received as well. Did you friend receive the hardware shown in the Gen2 Hatch instructions shown on the second picture?
    Great work on your build. It has to be nice having that work space to accomplish this in. Very nice.
    Yes he did receive all the parts in the picture. Actually I have them now since I'm a bit ahead of him in the build I borrowed them from him and will replace them when mine arrive.

Hmmm...Why haven't you started a build log thread on "ffcars"? I try to keep up on both forums, but I admit that the real build help and knowledge is on the ffcars forum and I spend the majority of my time there.
    I agree with you that most of the build info is on FFCARS (which I really like, visit frequently and has been very helpful to me) but time wise it is hard for me keep up with two threads of the same. I opted for posting it here to back up FFR efforts of setting up this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes he did receive all the parts in the picture. Actually I have them now since I'm a bit ahead of him in the build I borrowed them from him and will replace them when mine arrive.

I agree with you that most of the build info is on FFCARS (which I really like, visit frequently and has been very helpful to me) but time wise it is hard for me keep up with two threads of the same. I opted for posting it here to back up FFR efforts of setting up this site.
    K,
    Thanks. I just called and Brian is shipping mine out to me.

On the two forums. No worries. I just subscribe to the threads I'm interested in here and check them when I get an email notification of a new post.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    K,
    I have a question for you about your wheels. Can you tell me the offset and backspace for the rear and front? Thanks

R/s
    Vidal
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    This was posted by Mad Dog from FFR on another thread here. This is a copy paste:

Front Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 18"x 9"
    Rear Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 18"x 12"
    Front Wheel Backspace: 6.95" (50mm Offset)
    Rear Wheel Backspace: 8.49" (51mm Offset)
    Wheel Lug Pattern: GM style 5 lug x 4.75" bolt circle
    Material: Flow formed
    Aluminum Color: Titanium

Weight: 18"x 9": 19.5 lb 18"x 12": 22.2 lb

Front Brake Fitment 13" Z06 Calipers and Rotors
    Rear Brake Fitment: 13.00" Z06 Calipers and Rotors

Recommended Tire Sizes: Front: 245/40 ZR18 Rear: 335/30 ZR18
    Toyo Proxes RA1 tires are used on our GTM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Copy. Identical to the FFR wheels. Thanks.
    Last edited by VD2021; 06-04-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Kempo

I am waiting for a set of these wheels from FFR. I think they are supposed to be used without spacers. That would solve your clearance problem.

Good Luck
    Ken

This was posted by Mad Dog from FFR on another thread here. This is a copy paste:

Front Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 18"x 9"
    Rear Wheel Size (Diameter x width): 18"x 12"
    Front Wheel Backspace: 6.95" (50mm Offset)
    Rear Wheel Backspace: 8.49" (51mm Offset)
    Wheel Lug Pattern: GM style 5 lug x 4.75" bolt circle
    Material: Flow formed
    Aluminum Color: Titanium

Weight: 18"x 9": 19.5 lb 18"x 12": 22.2 lb

Front Brake Fitment 13" Z06 Calipers and Rotors
    Rear Brake Fitment: 13.00" Z06 Calipers and Rotors

Recommended Tire Sizes: Front: 245/40 ZR18 Rear: 335/30 ZR18
    Toyo Proxes RA1 tires are used on our GTM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMsomeday View Post
    Hey Kempo

I am waiting for a set of these wheels from FFR. I think they are supposed to be used without spacers. That would solve your clearance problem.

Good Luck
    Ken
    Ken,

You are correct. Jim posted that the spacers are not needed for this wheels.

Sasha, nice work on that table you made. You can add there that I'm not running the spacers and the tires are Toyo R888 not the RA1.

Post Thanks / Like

Build Challenges-Budget?

Kempo,

The documentation of your building experience is extremely helpful to those of us considering doing the same. I must commend you on your attention to detail. You are doing a very nice job.

My first love has always been the GT40 and I have been watching some of them (replicas of course) as the pass through the market these days. The GTM is quite a different car though and I love the idea of late model LS power. Do you mind disclosing your planned budget is for this build and if there have been any big financial surprizes thus far? It appears you used donor suspension parts. Did you experience any problems locating what you needed? Any unexpected challenges you experience along the way would be great to hear about.

Thanks again for your posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkmaynard View Post
    Kempo,

The documentation of your building experience is extremely helpful to those of us considering doing the same. I must commend you on your attention to detail. You are doing a very nice job.

My first love has always been the GT40 and I have been watching some of them (replicas of course) as the pass through the market these days. The GTM is quite a different car though and I love the idea of late model LS power. Do you mind disclosing your planned budget is for this build and if there have been any big financial surprizes thus far? It appears you used donor suspension parts. Did you experience any problems locating what you needed? Any unexpected challenges you experience along the way would be great to hear about.

nkmaynard,

Thanks for the compliments on my build. I decided to document my build like this because this kind of threads were the ones that gave me an idea of what I was going to get into when I placed my order. I occasionally lurked the ffcars forum for a couple of years before placing my order. I finally decided to order my GTM after seeing it in person in the 2010 SEMA show and having a chat with Gary (fact5racer here at the forum) I agree with you about the GT40 it's a beautiful car but, don't write off the GTM until you see one in person. IMO the looks on the GTM are like a modern high performance supercar. The modern LS factor is also a plus on my list.

On the budget side my original budget was less than what it has turned out to be. I was originally planing on going the donor route on everything but the engine. All that changed when I started hunting down the parts. I'm located at Puerto Rico and getting a donor locally became kind of a challenge. Bringing one from the states was a piece of cake but I would have to pay a huge amount of taxes on it. So, I decided to buy my parts new except for the suspension which is extremely expensive new. Worst case scenario If there is something worn like bushings, ball joints etc. they can be replaced for a little amount of money. After that I started looking for the transmission. The plan was getting a used Porsche unit. At that same time FFR released the intro price for the Mendeola. I wasn't that much more over the used Porsche after rebuilding and gearing it so I decided to go with the Mendeola for that bit more $$$ and have a new unit. Another thing that changed my budget was all the goodies sold by Shane at Vraptorspeedworks.com many of them are a must have IMO since they bump the build quality and value of the car. My new budget now is higher. The only high cost stage I'm missing now is the paint it's labor but that is not that expensive here and the guy doing it is a very good friend of mine who is doing it dirt cheap for me. All the other labor is being done by me so it's "no charge".
    Last edited by Kempo; 08-29-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nkmaynard View Post
    Kempo,

If maintaining a low budget is a concern here is a link that you should check out;
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...build-log.html

There is also a Build Log Thread with many documented builds. Some of the builds are complete and others like mine are still in the works.
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...og-thread.html

Welcome to the forum/s.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much has been done lately. The doors are done. They only need a bit more of work on the gaps and rounding of the edges. There was no need to cut any of the frames as I have seen done on the some Gen I. They did were a pain in the but to install.

I also received the wheel nuts. As a heads up for those ordering the forgestar wheels. The stock Corvette 19mm socket nuts will fit the wheel but you will eventually damage the finish on the wheels since the socket is about the same size as the hole on the wheel. I ordered this steel 17mm nuts with a 60 degree seat angle. A friend told me he doesn't like the finish on them because they look like a bubble made from dish washing liquid LOL. Still I do like the way they look on the black wheel.

The diffuser is also partially installed. I still need to receive the bolts and spacers for the rear from FFR. It has an opening in the rear of 3.75 in and comes out of the body 1.25 in as recommended by FFR. To those of you concerned on how this looks compared to the Gen I previously installed in Dave's car IMO this looks as good as the Gen I. Must admit that when FFR posted the pictures of the Gen II installed on Dave's car my impression was that it looked too big of a hole back there. But the pictures makes it look too big. It actually doesn't look that big in person. Although what might look not too big for me might be huge to others and vise versa.

Finished drilling and fitting the rear wheel well panels. Now of to paint with the liner.

BTW, the wheel spacers will be coming off before the wheels go back in the car.
    Last edited by Kempo; 06-03-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a short video of the driver's door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks VD 2021 for the build links and Kempo for the reply,

I downloaded a copy of the assy manual and have been going over it very carefully. I located the companies on EBAY that sell the "completion kits" for $5K and $11K respectfully for the used and new kits. I would probably prefer to go that route instead of messing with a donor car. With a new LS6 at about $6.3K (LS7 @ $14K) and the tranny at about $8.5K, I can see where the $50K mark can be hit pretty fast. Add paint and all the little stuff and $60K is far more realistic. I have noticed that there are occasionally GTMs for sale in that range as well. The older I get the more I forget about all the "fun" I had 30+ years ago building Firebirds and GTO's. But then again, in those days I couldn't afford it any other way. In reality, I have a couple years to get everything paid off to the point that I can either buy someones completed car or procure the kit/parts to do it myself. I figure it would take most of a year to complete. I guess I had better do some finish work on my wife's '72 Vette before starting my own long term project because as we all know, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"! The only way to have it exactly like I want it is to do it myself but once again, none of are getting any younger. I will follow the builds and make that decision in a couple years. It will be interesting to watch Fuzzy build his GTM.

Thanks again for the advise. I hope to join the GTM family soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not much has been done lately. The doors are done. They only need a bit more of work on the gaps and rounding of the edges. There was no need to cut any of the frames as I have seen done on the some Gen I. They did were a pain in the but to install.
    K,
    Did you install the power windows? The cutting and repositioning of the passenger side door frame is done to allow the power window mech to clear. Nitetrain cut, repositioned and welded his http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...ml#post2456401, but hitechmotorsports was able to get the passenger side power window working without redoing the door frame.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    K,
    Did you install the power windows? The cutting and repositioning of the passenger side door frame is done to allow the power window mech to clear. Nitetrain cut, repositioned and welded his http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...ml#post2456401, but hitechmotorsports was able to get the passenger side power window working without redoing the door frame.
    Vidal,

I haven't installed the power windows yet. I will probably do it tomorrow or early next week. A friend who is also building a GTM was able to install both windows on his GTM yesterday without cutting the frame. I hope I can do the same. Maybe FFR changed something in there. He told me that the glass will not go in all the way in the door when it was lowered. Is this correct? I don't recall seeing the glass stick out on Dave's yellow car. Maybe being mostly a demo car it doesn't have any glass on the doors? Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Vidal,

I haven't installed the power windows yet. I will probably do it tomorrow or early next week. A friend who is also building a GTM was able to install both windows on his GTM yesterday without cutting the frame. I hope I can do the same. Maybe FFR changed something in there. He told me that the glass will not go in all the way in the door when it was lowered. Is this correct? I don't recall seeing the glass stick out on Dave's yellow car. Maybe being mostly a demo car it doesn't have any glass on the doors? Thanks for the link I'll check it out.
    K,
    Ys Sir, that's correct. The windows don't go completely into the door without major modification. Good luck on the window. I really hope you get the pass side window to work without redoing the door frame. That way you let me know what's required.

I was hoping to have my body on this week-end but Ive was out of town with the family last week and I decided to installl my undercarriage panels, skid kit and a fan to push some heat from the engine bay. I'm also installing my drivers seat tracks.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some work tonight on the passenger door. I was able to get it working without any mods to the frame. One thing I noticed was that the measures given in the manual for the holes that have to be drilled in the door to hold the upper part of the window track were impossible at least in my case. The manual states that the rear track hole should be done 10" from the rear of the door and the front one at 27" from the rear. In my case at 10 and 27 In. the track would stick out of the top of the door. IIRC the rear one ended up at 7.5 in. At this point I'm only holding the tracks with those bolts at the top. I still haven't bonded the brackets that hold the tracks to the frame. Because of this when the window is going up I have to push it to the outside to guide it over the rear door pillar. When those brackets get bonded and in place it should go by itself.

Another thing I had to do was cut about 3/8" of the bolt that closes the clamp that holds the glass on the rear track. It sticks out too much and was hitting the outer skin of the door.

Last edited by Kempo; 06-05-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    K,

I was hoping to have my body on this week-end but Ive was out of town with the family last week and I decided to installl my undercarriage panels, skid kit and a fan to push some heat from the engine bay. I'm also installing my drivers seat tracks.
    Nice!!! What color did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice!!! What color did you go with?
    Probably the toughest decision yet. As on right now I've narrowed it down to Crystal Red Metallic (C6) or possibly Red Jewel Tin (Camaro). Likely the Crystal Red Metalic. I need to take another look at the Red Jewel though.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Kempo;21874]I did some work tonight on the passenger door. I was able to get it working without any mods to the frame. One thing I noticed was that the measures given in the manual for the holes that have to be drilled in the door to hold the upper part of the window track were impossible at least in my case. The manual states that the rear track hole should be done 10" from the rear of the door and the front one at 27" from the rear. In my case at 10 and 27 In. the track would stick out of the top of the door. IIRC the rear one ended up at 7.5 in. At this point I'm only holding the tracks with those bolts at the top. I still haven't bonded the brackets that hold the tracks to the frame. Because of this when the window is going up I have to push it to the outside to guide it over the rear door pillar. When those brackets get bonded and in place it should go by itself.

Another thing I had to do was cut about 3/8" of the bolt that closes the clamp that holds the glass on the rear track. It sticks out too much and was hitting the outer skin of the door.
    QUOTE]

Outstanding. Did you attach the lower points per the manual? Do you forsee any clearance or window alignment to body/pillar once the brackets are bonded? I'm taking notes so push as much info as you feel is warranted.

Reports like this give me conficence about doing my doors and panels myself and ending up with a solid product.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast