Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rear view mirror

Post Thanks / Like

rear view mirror

Just tried to knock out another one of those five minute projects that has now become a headache. What are people using for the rear view mirror? I bought a basic one on Amazon that includes the button to glue to the windshield, but found that ffr had tried to be nice by mounting a button already. Problem is that it is the terribly designed (in my opinion) Subaru base. Do any other manufacturers use this base? I don't see any indication Toyota uses it, but maybe they do and it was installed by ffr's supplier.

Alternatively, has anybody successfully removed the button without breaking the windshield? I'm sure the idea was that you could use the Subaru mirror, but I didn't want to run power to the mirror to make the compass/autodim work and it seemed stupid to use the Subaru mirror without making this work, so I sold it off.

Hopefully this makes sense, I'm a bit irritated and trying to type this on my phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevermind on the second part. Couple quick blasts with the blow torch and twisting with the pliers and it came off.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other problem with the mirror is it's autodimming. Without power, it won't dim at all.

What mirror did you end up with? Do you like it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a cheapie off amazon and an adapter. I'm happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also ended up buying a cheap one on Amazon. It is a little too narrow for my taste, but any wider and I think I would just have a better view of the engine humps instead of anything behind the car.