Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need pictures of possible 818 replicars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need pictures of possible 818 replicars

Working on registration of 818 in WI. Only chance is to find a vehicle it replicates. I found Lotus Elise 1996 a possibility.
    Again, needs to be 20 years or older. Any help would be appreciated including photoshop versions.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Are you sure that's the only option? I thought there were alternative registration methods mentioned in the other thread?

This has been discussed before... nothing is going to be terribly convincing without some effort.

It's hard to believe the Elise will be 20 years old next year, but that might be a tough sell since it was for sale in the US until very recently. If a replica is your only option, an older mid-engined Lotus (23, Europa) will have similar proportions, but different styling, to the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are other threads , takes some searching, and not that easy to find. Here's an example...

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...t=818+replicas

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the Hobbyist plate response to your previous thread a dead end?

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...censed-legally

Also, the replica discussion was also explored (generally unsuccessfully) in these threads, though you do appear to have the benefit of a much later cut off date:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...y-pre-1967-car
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-RS200-Replica

Last, wikipedia has a semi-impressive list of mid-engined cars. You might be able to click through all these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-engine_design
    "RMR layout – Rear Mid-engine / Rear-wheel drive

Rear mid-engine position / Rear-wheel drive
    These cars use traditional engine layout between driver and rear drive axle. Typically, they're simply called MR layout cars.

Main category: Rear mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles
    BMW M1 and i8
    Consulier GTP
    DC Avanti
    DeTomaso Vallelunga, Pantera, Guara
    Ferrari Dino 246, 308, 328, 348, Enzo, F355, 360 Modena, F430, FXX, 458 Italia, Mondial, Testarossa
    Fiat X1/9
    Ford GT and GT40
    Honda Beat and NSX
    Jaguar XJR-15 and XJ220
    Lamborghini Countach, Diablo SV, Jalpa, Silhouette,
    Lancia Stratos HF, Lancia Montecarlo
    Lotus Europa, Esprit, Elise, Exige, Evora
    Maserati Merak, Bora, Maserati MC12
    Mastretta MXT
    Matra Djet, 530, Bagheera, Murena
    McLaren F1, MP4-12C, 650S, P1
    Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR
    MG F
    Mosler MT900
    Nissan R390 GT1
    Opel Speedster
    Pagani Huayra, Pagani Zonda
    Pontiac Fiero
    Porsche 550, 914, Boxster, Carrera GT, Cayman, Porsche 911 GT1
    Prince R380
    Renault 5 Turbo, Clio V6 Renault Sport
    Rumpler Tropfenwagen
    Saleen S7
    SSC Aero
    Toyota MR2/MR-S
    Vauxhall VX220
    Vector WX-8
    M4 layout – Rear Mid-engine / Four-wheel drive[edit]
    These cars uses mid-ship, four-wheel drive, with engine between axles.

Audi R8
    Bugatti Veyron, EB110
    Ford RS200
    Honda Acty (4WD versions only)
    Jeep Forward Control
    Lancia Delta S4
    Lamborghini Aventador, Cheetah, Diablo VT series, Gallardo, Murcielago, Reventon, Huracan
    MG Metro 6R4
    Panther Solo 2
    Volvo L3314, C303"

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely register it as a Rumpler Tropfenwagen!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    how close does it need to be, can you Velcro on a testarossa body kit and call it a day?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dennis,

I'll try again...................
    Here's the WDOT page where the Hobbyist plate is described:
    http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...l/hobbyist.htm

Look under Home Made Motorized Vehicles description:
    Homemade motorized vehicles
    Homemade motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, may qualify for Hobbyist plates.
    The vehicle must have been constructed from new or used parts not originating from or resembling a previously manufactured motor vehicle.
    Application materials must include a bill of sale for all major parts used in the construction of the vehicle.
    If the vehicle qualifies, it must pass a safety and equipment inspection with the Wisconsin State Patrol.

Refer to Wisconsin Statutes 341.268 for vehicle definitions and Administrative Rule Trans 149 for homemade or reconstructed vehicle requirements. If you have questions about vehicles that qualify for hobbyist registration, call (608) 266-1466, Monday – Friday from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm or contact us.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I've registered at least three cars under the Hobbyist designation and everything has gone smoothly. I've not built an 818, however, so don't have first hand experience with that vehicle.

Hope this helps,
    Tom Veale
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 05-12-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom. I have read all the statutes and rules and regulations for Wisconsin licensing re: homemade cars and replicars. Yesterday (prior to this posting) I spoke to someone in Wisconsin DMV Special Applications and discussed in length DMV interpretation of the laws. She said that a homemade car would be registered as a current year model 2015 and would therefore have to fulfill all the requirements NTSB puts on new vehicles. It would have to have airbags, all active and passive restraints along with ABS and TMPS, emissions and what ever else is required. This was exactly the same interpretation I received from a State Patrol inspector. Could you please give me information on your 3 prior hobby car registrations and the process you went through. There is a big difference between reading the statutes and their actual real life interpretation. Any information you could give us Wisconsin residents would be most helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with mrprgrmr's advice. The Rumpler Trop has a racy aero design.

Rumpler Tropfenwagen.jpg
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dennis,

I no longer have the FFR Challenge series car, so don't have its title info. I believe I did title and register it as a '65 Ford cobra replica if memory serves me right. So, it would have escaped the new car regs. My title for the '33 shows it as a "1933 Shelby Cobra" (I don't have a clue as to how they came up with that! My guess is they saw the Factory Five Racing name and thought it was a cobra.). It shows "Exempt" for the odometer status, Chassis Type is "auto", Body style is "roadster" and color is "gray" (again, don't ask me why a red/tan car is classed as "gray").

On the VIN assignment sheet it shows the car as a 1933 Ford, so they aren't entirely consistent. The reason they assigned the car a new VIN number is that the photocopy of the FFR nameplate looks like the serial number is printed on it rather than engraved. My application shows that I marked their form for the car as a "Replica", not a home made motorized vehicle. So, again, maybe there are far deeper complications on registering a home made vehicle even under the Hobbyist designation.

My suggestion would be to register it as a replica 1969 Subaru 360 H-Modified SCCA race car.
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_history.html
    Seriously, who's going to know? Only SCCA knows that H Mod only ran through 1964.
    http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/...ale_resize.jpg

The first U.S. Subaru is the 360. This very small rear wheel drive minicar had a 2-stroke, 25 horsepower 356 cc engine (thus the 360 name), weighed under 1000 pounds, got 66.3 mpg, went 0-50 in over 37 seconds. and cost $1,297. It came in a few models: 2 door sedan, then the "Young S" 2 dr sedan, minivan (that's me in the white 5 door van below), a truck version, and even a mini race car, too. There may have been as many as 6000 of these imported through 1969, though they weren't exactly a best seller.

Then it should be old enough to get registered as a Hobbyist replica car without any of the rest of the modern safety stuff, etc.

If asked about the body, just tell them "Subaru was way ahead of its time." Keep a straight face and you'll do fine. I used a carbon fiber decal on the dash of my 1953 Jaguar race car and people would ask if Jaguar was the first to use carbon fiber in race cars. Phew! What do you say to a question like that?

Dennis, I'm glad you've done the research first. I wish there were an 818S owner here already who could guide you, but I don't think there is one yet. I was unaware of the "Homemade Cars" complications. It would be a shame to put in the labor and $$$$ and not find a way to get it registered.

Best regards, and good luck with the effort.
    Tom Veale
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 05-14-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    whooo!! more wisconsin people! That being said, Ive been talking to the state trooper that does the inspections in the fox valley area, and basically what i got out of it, is it will almost be impossible to title in wisconsin. Best way is to get it titled in a different state and transfer the title to wisconsin. Ive been trying to find a way for the last year and a half. No luck :/ Although i did see a FFR GTM the other day with no plates on so i think he said screw it and drives it on the street anyway.