Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ventilation plumbing for my 289

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ventilation plumbing for my 289

Mr. Google tells me that I need a PCV valve on one valve cover that connects to the carburetor plate and a vent on the other valve cover that connects to the air cleaner housing. That's more hose than I want to see when I open the hood. Can't I use push-in vents on both valve covers? BTW, there's no provision on my pan for the "road draft" tube.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's how mine is...no PCV...just breathers...
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can, but you will likely get some oil dripping. That vapor has to go somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not run an engine without one. It reduces the fuel contamination by pulling the vapors out as the oil heats up and boils them off. The same for water vapor that comes from condensation. With each hot/cold cycle, some moisture enters the mix and the PCV helps rid the oil of that as it steams off. A non PCV system or one that doesn't work properly show as a milky goo that accumulates inside the engine. When mixed with oil, it accelerates the formation of sludge and breakdown of the oil. You can run the PCV valve on one side and just a breather on the other side. There should be baffles in your valve covers as well to help keep the oil separated from the air. Another option may be a vacuum pump.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Jb_sfpZsI
    Last edited by aspbite; 06-13-2015 at 04:42 AM. Reason: add text

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this setup for about 3 years.

After every other autocross I would pull the filters and clean the oil out w/ brake clean and compressed air. At one point I swapped the VCs so the vents were toward the front of the engine which helped. But then they needed to be cut shorter to clear the hood. This spring I put caps on them and ran hoses to a catch tank. Now I just drain the tank once in a while. For non autocross use during the off season my original setup was fine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vent one side to carb base with PCV and other side open.