Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Cell Access

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fuel Cell Access

I had an opportunity to get together with some Coupe builders weekend before last, Russ Foster and Chris Bergquist, and Chris asked me to post about my progress, of lack of. Both Russ and I are probably the longest builds going to date. As with many others, life gets in the way and we have to adjust our build schedules. Problem for me is, I like to change things as I see fit. According to Russ, the only original parts left on my chassis are the two 4 inch tubes, and He's almost correct! I have a vision of what the Coupe would have looked like if Ford had let the evolution continue, instead of killing the Coupe for the GT40. I've changed almost every part of the chassis in some way, redesigned the front suspension, engineered the interior tunnel assembly along with the foot boxes, etc. Here's one of my projects that I was able to finish this week. I have access to several Haas CNC mills and lathes, and a CAD/CAM program call Mastercam. So here goes, A fuel cell access plate assembly that will allow me to remove the fuel cell access plate that gives me access to the pumps,(yes, you read that correctly, pumps, there will be two pumps in this system)and the fuel level indicator, and all of the electrical and fuel line connections.

This is the main plate, and will be riveted to the bottom of the floor skin. I also designed and cut a Fixture/Jig that will be placed on top of the floor skin,
    and will provide the proper location for all of the necessary holes. The fixture also is tall enough to be able to use it as a template for cutting out the
    correct size hole for the top cover to drop into, using a standard router with a bit that has a bearing follower, this lets you cut the thin aluminum perfectly.

Here is the main plate with the cover plate dropped in. All you will see when installed is the cover plate and 20, 10-32 screws.

The cover is .120 thick Aluminum sheet, and the base was machined to allow a .040 reveal, which will make the final installation flush with the floor skin.

There will be approximately a two inch space between the top of the cell and the bottom of the access cover plate.

So for those who have wondered why my build is taking so long, here's part of the answer, LOL!

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 06-21-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!

Harold
    FFR Coupe #687 picked up on 3-28-15; First start, 8-1-16; First drive, 9-25-16; 1971 Mach 1 (owned since 1984), 1968 Shelby GT 500 Convertible (sold and paying for my Coupe), the best wife ever!

Post Thanks / Like
    I discovered Subaru's use that concept to access the pump under the back seat on my son's LL Bean. It made it extremely easy to get to the pump to service a cracked filter cover (Death Pump) and we not only kept it running waiting for parts, he got it repaired for less than $50.

I honestly can't think of any reason not to do it, especially on a custom kit. Long term servicing is almost never included in most car's layouts - I was reminded of that yesterday attempting to hook up an OBD1 reader in a 91 Eldo and locate the low side a/c on a Ford 500. If you ever had to drop a full tank to R&R the pump on a daily driver, then un understand getting access in the future has resulted in some quick and dirty holes getting cut in floors, trunks, and truck beds.

Nice to see it well planned and executed. This is a must do for those planning to live with their cars.