Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Group Buy: Trunk Hinges

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Group Buy: Trunk Hinges

What: Group buy for billet/laser cut trunk hinges to replace the stamped steel OEM hood hinges that get cut up and reused for trunk hinges.

Cost:
    5-10 people: $185
    11-15 people: $175
    15+ people: $160

Current List:
    1: Svanlare
    2: Frank818
    3: Speedy G
    4: Sbcamb
    5: Hendow
    6: bbjones
    7: Ninjanick
    8: DMC7492

What you get:
    Billet CNC milled hinge base (pair)
    Laser cut drop arm (pair)
    Laser cut curved arm (pair)
    Stainless hardware

Some of you might remember this interest check thread here:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...et-Hinge/page2

It died for one reason: the shop making the billet parts simply stopped responding. I've had all of the laser cut parts in hand for 4 months just waiting. At this point I've all but written the parts and the deposit off for the time being and am having these made elsewhere. However, that also means I don't have as much free cash to go buy another $1k+ worth of parts and hope they sell.

That's where the group buy comes in. I'll leave it open for a week (or two, depending on the volume of responses) at which point I'll take deposits of 50% from the interested parties. Lead time on the parts is 4 weeks for the billet pieces, all of the other pieces are in hand. The prices for the group buy are also lower than the original estimates because...well, that's what group buys are for. Lower prices.

FAQ:
    Billet milled vs laser cut?
    Laser cutting is good for flat parts and much more economical than milling. Often times laser cutting is 1/2 the cost of an identical milled part. By using laser cut parts where appropriate I can sell finished products to you for less than what it would cost me to buy milled parts. Milling gives very smooth surfaces on all sides, laser cutting allows for smooth surfaces on top and bottom but the sides will have a grained surface. Tumbling smooths this out somewhat, but it is not as smooth as milling.

Example surface finish:
    http://www.us.trumpf.com/typo3temp/pics/5bee927ded.jpg
    Last edited by Mechie3; 07-24-2015 at 07:47 AM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports