Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: stock fuel line and fuel filter question

Post Thanks / Like

stock fuel line and fuel filter question

Well, after totally butchering both of the original 5/16" fuel line pieces trying to bend them with a 20 year old tubing bender I went to the store and got a new tool and two new lengths of 5/16" tube. I practiced with the new bender and the butchered old line until I could make nice 90' bends. Feeling very confident I marked up one of the pieces of the new tube and bent a perfect 90. I felt great until I realized the nut was on the inside of the bend
    After another trip to the parts store I finally got the entire run in and zip tied in place.
    Now after getting my engine last week and all the accessories I realize that for the 390hp the engine is rated at and the inlet size of the mechanical fuel pump that I am using (3/8" npt), the stock 5/16" line is not what is recommended. What I need is 3/8". One more trip to the parts store and I have the new line and fittings. Before I bend it I have another question concerning the stock fuel filter supplied with the kit and it's location in a system using a mechanical fuel pump.
    Does anyone know the micron size of the stock fuel filter? Is it ok to be used between the tank and a 6psi 110gph mechanical fuel pump? My carb came with a fuel filter that I intend to install as recommended between the pump and the carb inlet. I do not want to create a fuel restriction on the suction side of the pump.
    John S.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't think the 5/16" line will hurt, but I changed out the line from to a 3/8" piece, but used the stock pic up and filter. I deleted the plastic "O-Ring" quick connectors and slightly flared the filter and pick up ends to reduce some of restriction since I too am running a mechanical pump.

Please know that I slipped a 3/8" hose over the barbs that were intended for the "O-Ring" quick connectors and put a hose clamp on each connection. The reason why I ditched the quick connectors is because I felt they were flimsy and if you look at the inside you'll see that the inside diameter is only about 1/4". Add in that you've got one is a 90 degree fitting and you further slow the fuel by creating additional restriction.

Granatelli has a pickup for the mustang tank that has a 1/2" inlet also, but I haven't gone down that path. Just understand that I am not up and running yet because I'm short a clutch and fly wheel and a few other pieces, but I don't think many folks have any issues with the 5/16" fuel line.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-12-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a mechanical fuel pump/carb setup, you should have a (1) Screen on the pickup in the tank, normally a plastic and steel mesh piece that fits over the end of the pickup tube to keep out the big chunky stuff, and (2) Filter between the pump and the carb. No inline fuel filter.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    For a mechanical fuel pump/carb setup, you should have (1) a screen on the pickup in the tank, and (2) a filter between the pump and the carb. No inline fuel filter.
    Trust EdwardB Because He Know His Excrement!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a mechanical pump and carb, too. As said above, use a pick-up with a screen and a filter between the pump and the carb.... my pick-up came from Breeze Automotive, a vendor here.

I ran a one-piece stainless steel 3/8" line for my car - believe it or not, you can actually get it into the chassis.

Here are a few pics - I used some soft copper tubing to make a template, cut it in half to get it out of the car in one piece, then had to do the stainless version twice to get it right.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Gumball,

I'm glad I put set my car up for a Small Block Chevy because my fuel run was way, way, way easier to do.
    Please be advised that I'm impressed with your ability to bend lines.
    I bet you are really good at origami too.

Steve / aka: GoDadGo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Hey Gumball,

I'm glad I put set my car up for a Small Block Chevy because my fuel run was way, way, way easier to do.
    Please be advised that I'm impressed with your ability to bend lines.
    I bet you are really good at origami too.

Steve / aka: GoDadGo
    Yeah, those Chevy engines with everything on the wrong side and swapped front-to-back.... sheesh!!! LOL
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074