Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: anyone here running a 2006 wrx 5mt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone running a stock 2006 wrx 5 speed in their 818 with 300 t0 350 whp

Is anyone here running a 2006 wrx 5mt with the stock gears and with say 300 to 350 wheel horsepower in their 818? The 2006 has the 3.7 final drive which actually when all said and done almost matches the 5 speed jdm sti ratios that have the 3.9 final drive. I am worried about gear strength on the stock 2006 wrx gears. I could spend the the money for the higher strength rallispec sti gears (not ra type) which share same 4th and 5th ratios as 2006 wrx. Good for highway cruising but only have the 3.9 speedo gear in that kit and not sure the 3.7 speedo gear in the 2006 will work with those? Not a huge issue as it would be a minor speedo discrepancy. The rallispec ra gears would give a taller 1st and shorter 2 thru 5 but still decent highway crusing rpm with the 3.7 final drive. Alternative would be to install a new 3.9 ring and pinion when doing the gear swap. This 2006 wrx trans has very low miles on it on it and would love to try it stock and put the bucks into the motor!
    Last edited by scott s; 11-04-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: should have stated in an 818

Post Thanks / Like
    I am driving a 2006 WRX
    stock engine, turbo, and 5-speed transmission
    bought at 58k currently 77k miles

When I bought it, it had an invidia cat-back exhaust. still does.
    I didn't research the car as well as I should have when I bought it and it's given me troubles since.
    .....long story for another time. should have researched the car more......or at all it seems.

I haven't had it dyno-ed as I need to fix things with it first, though I am pretty sure I am about ~200hp - 230hp.
    considering the miles and wear and the missing and the 15% leak I have in 1 of my cylinders....

The gears themselves, I haven't run into any issues though I am not anywhere near 300-350 hp
    From my experience the fail point for these are the clutch, and the syncros for 1st and 2nd gear. Some of the 3 previous owners tore up the car up and I would occasionally get "locked-out" of 1st or 2nd gear when I was driving the car hard. very annoying..
    though it has seemed to fix itself ( which worries me )

Post Thanks / Like
    That fixing itself is likely the gear/hub assembly had burrs from miss shifts. Driving it properly can remove these burrs, thus fixing itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth I just bought a 08 WRX with 108k on it and a month later the large snap ring on the center differential let loose and made a HUGE mess inside the transmission. Luckily though, every part that broke that needed to be replaced I had from my 02 impreza 818 donor. So I would suspect the tranys are similar. It has turbo back exhaust (catless) sti intercooler, injen intake, stage 2 map. I would guess its pushing 280 maybe? I am very scared for the transmission to explode again :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a blown up '06 5 speed. It couldn't handle the power. Third gear let loose. I would do some more research on the gears you're interested in, because as far as I know there is no additional strength in those compared to the '06 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    @tricky Pete, you are currently destroying your center diff, 08 Wrx is 1:1 02 Wrx is 1.1:1

Unless your donor was a non turbo..... In which case you're good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I found a link in the transmission sticky or flatirons tuning thread where they measured 2006 wrx gears and sti ra and other model gears and the ra and legacy gears were a lot thicker than stock 2006 wrx. Rallispec has info on strength increases on the fact page for the ra gears. I still would love the 5 speed but definitely would consider the rallispec ra treated set with the 2006 3.7 final drive. It would be an awesome ratio. A nice tall 1st gear and close ratios from there up! I still want 300 to 350 whp but could down tune as the car on 280 or so whp is going to be fast however I will use a clutch that is rated around a 350 torque rating to act as a fuse. I do not plan hard launches at super high rpms.
    I got an e mail from a member here saying he got used to the 6 speed short gearing so I may change my mind and just go 2007 six speed and possibly install the rallispec long ratio gears but 1st is still the same short ratio and 2007 used sixspeeds do not come cheap LOL. I would scrap the 2006 donor pallet and probably try to purchase a wrecked 2007 sti if possible. Plan on using dss axles and cv's anyways so the sti donor issues are not relevant if I go that route. Still for weight and ratios I want the 5 speed LOL!

Here is a link to the thread that says the sti ra close ratio 5 mt set is way thicker than a stock 2006 set.http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post146906

The 3rd gear difference is huge and this seems to be the one that grenades on the 2006 wrx most often. Rallispec faq page on this claims a huge strength increase for the ra gears!
    Last edited by scott s; 11-05-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott s View Post
    ...I still would love the 5 speed but definitely would consider the rallispec ra treated set with the 2006 3.7 final drive.
    ... I do not plan hard launches at super high rpms.
    Don't we all know how plans go? lol!
    I vote rally spec. I was thinking of putting those in mine. I wanted to take my car and make it legal for pike's peak hill climb this coming year but a wise man once said, "You don't race your daily driver!".... so I am leaning against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    That fixing itself is likely the gear/hub assembly had burrs from miss shifts. Driving it properly can remove these burrs, thus fixing itself.
    ^ if that's the case then I'm going to change the fluid this weekend, going to try to flush it out if anything is residing in there. It's probably due for one anyways, I don't know when or if any of the previous owners have done it. Bets are not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am I using a 98 forester 5mt has 4.11 final drive going on an Ej207. I haven't tested it yet but look forward to posting results when I do. If it does not work out I will just go RA gearing. 6mt just seems like extra weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a car this light I personaly would not use the ra gears with a 4.11 final drive. The set comes with a 3.9 final speedo gear but 4.11 speedo gear is available. I think that the ra set with 4.11 final drive is going to be to short for any decent highway cruising. The tall 1st would be ok but 2nd thru 5th iffy imo You may want to consider changing to a 3.9 or better yet 3.7 ring and pinion at the same time. Flatirons has the rings and pinions available. The ra 2nd thru 5th are short enough already. Just that nice tall 1st will get this light car up to speed quickly and being so light the 3.7 final is better yet IMO. I have to find out if the 3.7 speedo gear in the 2006 5mt can be used with the ra set so I don't have a speedo error but it would be a very minor error at that. I am also considering an AIM digital dash and wish the speedo in it was GPS. That would solve it all LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott s View Post
    On a car this light I personaly would not use the ra gears with a 4.11 final drive. The set comes with a 3.9 final speedo gear but 4.11 speedo gear is available. I think that the ra set with 4.11 final drive is going to be to short for any decent highway cruising. The tall 1st would be ok but 2nd thru 5th iffy imo You may want to consider changing to a 3.9 or better yet 3.7 ring and pinion at the same time. Flatirons has the rings and pinions available. The ra 2nd thru 5th are short enough already. Just that nice tall 1st will get this light car up to speed quickly and being so light the 3.7 final is better yet IMO. I have to find out if the 3.7 speedo gear in the 2006 5mt can be used with the ra set so I don't have a speedo error but it would be a very minor error at that. I am also considering an AIM digital dash and wish the speedo in it was GPS. That would solve it all LOL!
    I am 50/50 atm but I have been looking at making a custom cluster that uses a motorcycle cluster and a few other gauges. Need some time to make a model version and see how it looks. Planning to make it look more OEM with custom plastics made with 3D printer. But anyways if you use a motorcycle cluster it uses magnetic speed sensor. So you should be able to use the ABS ring to tell you the speed of the car. I am looking at buying one of theses http://kosonorthamerica.com/product/rx-2n/

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 06 WRX transmission with 4.44s. It rocks so far. Case halves sweat a little but I'm to blame for that (I'll fix that over winter).

Edit: track-only R car making a bit extra horsepower (forged internals, all the "bolt on" mods)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi pearldrummer7. I see you are from Oswego, NY. I am originally from Binghamton, NY. Use to go to the motocross track there way back when! Also fished there often. Man I miss that country except in the winters LOL! Florida is so flat. The Fall is simply beautiful up there and I miss the hills!

Who installed your 4.44 final drive ring and pinion? I would find that to short for a street car on the horsepower I am looking to build. You running the stock gears? 1st must be pretty short but again yours is a track car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm currently jealous of you then, Scott! I like it up here....7 months out of the year

Andrewtech sold me the trans and installed the 4.44. I think it's a little short for a street car, but I imagine if you have a mixed use/dual purpose 818 a 4.11 would be perfect. It's not like you need it to get the best mileage or anything.

The gears are a bit short, but being able to be in 3rd-4th for corners on track and 5th on straights is sweet. Plus it probably feels faster because of the shorter gears

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still considering putting the 3.9 final drive ring and pinion for a little more in the seat of your pants acceleration and still good highway cruising with the ra gears. Ya the tall first with the ra gears may not give you that in the seat of the pants rush but with the horsepower I am shooting for I think it will be there! Light fly wheel also so the engine will respond fast.

Yes it is nice down here today but sometimes like in August I hate it as much down here (read that to hot!) as up there in Jan and Feb LOL! You got hit with cold weather pretty early this year!