Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Serpents In The Garden - LA Arboretum - 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Serpents In The Garden - LA Arboretum - 2015

Last weekend I attended a get together arranged by Dan Zoil called Serpents In The Garden. It takes place at the L.A. Arboretum.The Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden is a unique 127-acre botanical garden and historical site that includes Native American, Rancho Period, and late 19th century treasures. In addition to concerts and tours, they offer activities and events that cater to every audience. This year they had an event called "Serpents in the Garden", featuring Cobras spread throughout the botanical gardens, which include native species trees from all 7 continents. I was lucky enough to be invited to participate with both my own and my brother's roadsters. Moreover, we were lucky on the draw and scored one of the premier spots in front of the signature fountain. The following pics showcase a few of the many cars featured at this year's event, as well as way to many shots of our location within the event. I invite all those who attended to post their pics to add those whom I have neglected to capture. Admittedly, I didn't capture all the cars at the event.

Enjoy!

continued...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ...continued

This Shelby Cobra was decked out to the nines. I didn't get a chance to chat with the owner but his car is awesome. I can't believe I missed a full body shot! With his car you were drawn to the details. An inspiration to all us builders, IMO:

The weirdest thing happened in the heat of the day. The gardens are home to many exotic species, and the day featured visits from a very friendly and unique big fat duck and a peacock that exhibited behavior I'd never seen before. As I was sitting in the shade snoozing in an attempt to recover from the late-night semi-failed build session (to try and get my brother's build 100% ready for the event) - this peacock walk up and and spread out it's right wing before plopping down flat out onto the grass. It was just laying there and I couldn't figure out if it was absorbing the sun or reveling in the cool grass, so I took a pic of it:

Gotta say, I'm glad my Vizsla wasn't there!

I didn't get a chance to walk the garden to see all the cars, and to those I missed, I apologize. Of course, I took a bunch of pics of our location, which are featured below. I've been parked in several different locations at the 3 SITG events I've been in, and they are ALL better than any single car event spot anywhere else, period. This was no parking lot, folks!

Lots of folks loved the stripe on the underside of the hood. For that I have to thank Mr. Jeff Miller, Master Painter. I insisted on a genuine Guardsman Blue and I HAD to match the USC school colors, as the Yellow car will carry the TROJAN license plate. Did the man deliver, or what?!?

continued...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    continued...

Just a few more...

TROJAN is a work in progress, and those louvers would have been in if I'd had just one more hour. I loaded up the build at 12:30 Friday night. It still has work to be done, and has yet to be registered, but she's looking pretty good:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to give a special shout out and dedication to my brother, with whom I've learned a ton more about our beloved roasters while building his. He's a great friend and I thank God for granting me his continued presence:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, because of where we were parked I didn't get a chance to participate in the closing parade. That gave me a chance to capture it on video though!

Again, enjoy. Especially note the guy I capture right at the end, Dan Zoil. Dan, without you there would be no Serpents In The Garden. THANK YOU! I can't wait for the next one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great photos and words David! I'm really happy that you were able to get the Trojan car there after your all out thrash to make the date---it looks fantastic

Jeff

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    David,

Thanks for sharing the pictures ... some awesome photos of your car and your brother's car! Would love to send you some of our rain!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, it was a great show!

I took a couple of days off to rest and will be pulling out the dash on the anni car today. I didn't get as far in the build as I would have liked but was able to "fake it 'till I make it".

I've never been in a show that had a better setting for the cars. HB has great "scenery" but this place is pretty dang cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a great time (except for the peacock attacking Dan's car). Serpents is an amazing show and we appreciate Dan inviting us to be a part of it (and putting up with our harassment all day - he'll never park next to us again). Love the pics you posted!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to look at the photo's but went temp. blind by that BRIGHT roadster!!!!!!!! Looks great David. HB 2016 will be a lot of fun with TWO Hodgkins cars in attendance. I think that Grant needs an FFR ride to make it a trio, how about an 818?
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We made the news!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan was a busy bee on Saturday, so I had the pleasure of driving his car for the entry parade lap. I managed to snap a few pictures of both Ziol's cars (full size and the kid's version) and of the Casey's as well. I would have gotten a better shot of the Casey's car but someone piled up a bunch of garbage by their front wheel.

That's the Queen Anne Cottage in the background. It was used along with the grounds for the TV series Fantasy Island.

Last edited by frankeeski; 10-06-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pictures. There is lot of variety and a personalization shown in those pictures, not the least of which being the underside stripes on the hood and truck of Trojan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    These pics were sent by Hal Pitt to be posted: