Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Intercooler Ducts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    What if we moved the turbo further back or down a little(might help keep the heat lower down or away from the motor) and angled it so the air intake would not be running through the motor(might help bring in some cooler air)? Then we install a puller fan under the IC? it looks to me like in the 818c we might be able to raise the IC a lot higher away from the enigne, but in the S I am not sure if there is any more room to raise the IC?
    The issue isn't as much the heat coming off the turbo heating the intercooler (but that is something good to address to prevent heat soak) but the fact that as the turbo compresses air it drastically raises the temperature of the air. Hot air in the engine loses power but can also lead to detonation.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    The issue isn't as much the heat coming off the turbo heating the intercooler (but that is something good to address to prevent heat soak) but the fact that as the turbo compresses air it drastically raises the temperature of the air. Hot air in the engine loses power but can also lead to detonation.
    Right and I agree with this coming from tracking my Turbo MR2 I have had to deal with mid engine set up and heat soak of the intercooler. However given the size of a standard STI intercooler or a front mount IC I don't see why it would not be sufficient with cooling if we could relocate it or get more air to cool it down. All of the engine bay heat is only warming up the intercooler, and adding the fact the fresh air being drawn into the turbo is already being nicely warmed from the engine and intake manifold. Mix the fact the turbo is heating up the intercooler right above it its no wonder we are heat soaking we aren't drawing any good amounts of fresh air it seems. Sure the turbo is pushing out hot air but the IC is meant to cool it so it itself needs to stay cool as possible no different then a radiator. I think some high CFM puller fans under the IC should help a lot with this. I did something similar in my turbo MR2 with a trunk mount intercooler and puller fans it improved temps tremendously as air went through the IC.

Having the turbo lower down could help get the heat away possibly or at the very least allowing us to move the intake from being stuck between the intake manifold and engine so it can possibly draw in cooler air.
    Last edited by redfogo; 09-17-2015 at 10:12 PM.