Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is this a problem? - Substantial leak from IRS center section

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a problem? - Substantial leak from IRS center section

I'm trying to figure out if I should be concerned or not. During delivery, the box containing the IRS center section fell off the loading cart. Maybe a 4' rolling fall. While the box was intact after the fall, by the time we had everything unloaded, it was apparent that much of the gear oil had leaked out:

IMG_0163.JPGIMG_0165.JPG

I opened the box, but I have no knowledge sufficient to determine whether there is any damage or whether this is to be expected.

IMG_0166.JPGIMG_0167.JPGIMG_0168.JPG

It looks ok as far as I can tell, but I just don't think I'd know unless there was a giant crack or something ridiculously obvious like that. My guess is that this is just gear oil leaking out of the vent or around the plugs because of how I left the box rather than the result of damage, but I don't know.

Can anyone offer advice on this? Any other pics that would be helpful for making a determination?

Thanks,
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Paul,

Did you determine where it is leaking from? Looks like the pinion is wet in one of those shots...

Here's a bump for you. You might also want to call FFR and speak to the tech guys about it. They might be your best resource on this new part.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Most likely the fluid leaked out of the vent fitting (next to the pink mark in your last picture). I neglected to plug mine and had a fair amount leak out when I tipped it up for painting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks both of you. I haven't determined where the leak is coming from, although yes, the vent fitting seems like the most likely source. I will follow up with FFR too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you recall how the housing was positioned in the box? Was the pinion close to the corner that's really wet. I agree with David, the pinion does look wet. Look for trails of fluid in the paper that wrapped the housing. Sometimes it's what's around the object of interest that gives away all the clues.

Post Thanks / Like
    It isn't shipped with fluid in it!! All that leaked is just assembly oil. jes

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, but what I'm trying to figure out is if the leaking of that oil is to be expected or if it represents a consequence of being dropped. Would you normally expect the assembly oil to leak out during shipping or would that only happen if something was wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    On the positioning in the box, the pinion was opposite the corner that got really wet. Although there is discoloration of the pinion in the pic that looks like it's wet, in person it's hard to tell. Certainly is seems that the bulk of the oil came out on the side with the vent fitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did this center section come from? From the pictures, it appears it was previously installed. Is this one of the zero miles take-off units? If so, it probably did have fluid in it. Mine did. Those Caplugs in the axle holes are interesting, but I doubt they would provide a complete seal. Between the axle holes and the vent tube, easy to see how fluid could escape. Unless you see any obvious damage or breakage, I'm betting there isn't anything wrong with it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. That makes sense. This is one of the zero mile take-offs obtained through FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pstockha View Post
    Thanks. That makes sense. This is one of the zero mile take-offs obtained through FFR.
    Then at the very least it had fluid it in at some time. Whether they drained it or not, likely there would be some to spill out. One other thing I thought of. (Sleep does that...) If it is diff fluid, it has a pretty distinct odor. The factory spec calls for a friction modifier. And while the fluid in mine wasn't the overpowering odor I've gotten from that stuff before, it's definitely there. If you have any doubt, stick your nose in one of the open axles holes and you should get a good whiff. If that's the same smell on the box, done deal. I highly doubt it's assembly lube at this point.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the odor is intense. Filled the shop even 24 hours after I opened the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pstockha View Post
    Yeah, the odor is intense. Filled the shop even 24 hours after I opened the box.
    Well there you go. Believe it or not, it used to be worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There should be a section to report on workshop incidents due to stupidly. My son and I were trying to muscle the IRS center section into the frame. You know, crow bar and wood blocks. My son thought it wasn't very smart but we really wanted to get the center section in before he had to head home. I relieved him and thats when it happened. Crowbar slipped and I headbutted my son. Thank god he held firm to support me as I was going over. Did I fail to mention I was standing on top of the trunk box. I know, almost too funny. Now I have an ice pac on my head. My son's fine of course. That center section fits way too tight...we'll tackle it again to tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    My son and I were trying to muscle the IRS center section into the frame. You know, crow bar and wood blocks.
    Don't hurt yourself! Did you see my post on Edwardb's IRS thread? Once we figured out the trick we had the differential in and bolted up in about 15 minutes from start to finish. (That was after an hour of futile efforts!). We wound up pulling the diff completely out and re-setting the bushings and starting completely over even though we though we were sooooo close to getting it in.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...t-begins/page2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'm usually good for one mishap on a project so I figure I've gotten mine out of the way. I'll re read the thread you mention and maybe starting over is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Well, I'm usually good for one mishap on a project so I figure I've gotten mine out of the way. I'll re read the thread you mention and maybe starting over is the way to go.
    Only one mishap? That's pretty good. I'm good for way more than that. RRussellTx had some good suggestions from his installation experience, already linked. In case you didn't see mine, it's here in my build thread. Read two posts. Center Section Installation. Those tapered pins I described helped more than anything else. That thing is really tight, as you too have found out.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-08-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had read your thread and thought the pins were a great idea. But, when my son offered to help with the install I thought it would be rather straightforward. Also considering you did it solo, I thought with help...easy. That's where I made my mistake...over confident. And, then I just found RRussellTx's post about not fully inserting the spacers. Invaluable information which taken together would probably have resulted in a smooth installation. Oh well, one learns. Today we try the pins.