Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dougs MK4 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    Doug:

Great build so far. I especially like your electrical/electronic ingenuity that you bring to the project. I'm in the process of building my own powder coating box, except that mine will be on a larger scale, since I plan to powder-coat the aluminum panels myself. I also have to coat some donor parts, not to mention that there are too many items in the kit, which come bare.

Keep up the good work, and post lots of photos. We love pictures.

Carlos
    Thanks Carlos, the electronics are especially fun for me since it combines what I do for a living with what I do for fun. I have not completely given up on powder coating the aluminum panels myself so I will be interested to see what you come up with for your set up.

Doug
    Mk4 Roadster #8567, IRS, Levy Racing 427w Stroker, 8-stack EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    Maybe I misunderstand but it seems you just need an inexpensive drill stop. $1.65 at the location linked below. Also a good source for Clecos and drill bits (although it looks like you already have your Clecos).

http://www.cokid.com/

Attachment 48719
    I have got to get me some of these!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Doug's MK4 Build - Differential

Decided on 3.55 differential gear ratio based on spreadsheet below and Gordon Levy's recommendation. The spreadsheet was put together with the fact that speed = Tire Circumference (inches) * Engine speed (RPM) / (Trans Ratio * Differential Ratio * 1056) where 1056 is the number to convert inches per minute to miles per hour.

The 8.8-inch 10 bolt differential came from Gordon complete with a new 3.55 ring and pinion as well as an Eaton limited slip differential and axle bearings. He sure does nice work. I can hardly wait to see the engine. All that was left for me to do is clean it up, paint it, replace the differential cover with a TA Performance IRS girdle cover, and get it installed. The aluminum cover that came with the differential was fine but the TA Performance cover looks better and includes features like both fill and drain plugs, load bolts for supporting bearing caps, and added capacity that reduces operating temperature by about 15 degrees.

I am assuming that I need to install a vent tube at some point?

Cleaned up with wire wheel in cordless drill and painted:

Installed with floor jack and a son with more muscles than I have:

Looking good with the differential cover:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking good! Those IRS pumpkins are "fun" to get in!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Looking good! Those IRS pumpkins are "fun" to get in!

Thanks David, patience (and a son with muscles) is definitely a virtue when it comes to the pumpkin install. For a while it did not seem like it was going to go .... and then it just went.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug's MK4 Build - Rear Suspension

Just like the differential, Levy Racing provided the Lincoln Mark 8 spindles and just like the differential most of the hard work. They installed new bearings, urethane bushings, and 99 cobra hubs. My job was to clean up with a wire wheel in my cordless drill and paint to match the differential.

I rarely do things in the right order. Once I was done installing the IRS, I went back through my binder full of notes from the various threads over the past year. It turns out that I had planned the Mike Forte modifications that simplify adjustment during alignment. So I removed the control arms and shipped to Mike for the modifications. They did a great job and returned to me within a couple weeks. The install went quicker the second time.

I did have to order a new tool to finish the Wilwood brake installation. It requires a 12 point 7/16-inch or 11mm deep socket to tighten the nuts for installing the caliper on the mounting bracket. You can see the nut just above the caliper in the picture below. While I did have a complete set of SAE and metric deep sockets, they were 6 point of course. I learned that this is the most common configuration after stops at all the auto part and tool stores in town. Keep in mind that I live in a small town. I ordered a 12-point deep socket set online and I was back in business.

It has been quite a while since I installed the rear suspension and brakes. Seems the only thing I am slower at than building the car is documenting the build. I am just about to install trunk aluminum so I need to finish up the rear suspension. It appears from the assembly manual that the next step is to set the suspension width. Am I ok with torquing all the IRS nuts after I get the width set?

Post Thanks / Like

Doug's MK4 Build - Power Steering

Exciting news! Levy Racing is shipping engine and transmission next week .... and now to the power steering rack install.

Replaced the standard bushings with Breeze offset rack mounting kit. I did not have to grind down the frame mounting tabs as described in the instructions but I did need to remove the powder coat from the bushing chambers with a sanding wheel.

Experienced some difficulty bolting up the steering rack. The bolts would go through the front mounting tab and the bushing but would not be in alignment for the back tab. Needed to file the mounting tab bolt holes just a bit.

Decided to use Moog tie rod ends. Nice looking parts but they looked different from each other. Called Summit and they had Moog send out a matching pair. Unfortunately one of the replacement parts was not threaded all the way through. Summit worked with Moog to resolve the problem.

Moved steering column bearing to inside of footbox to compensate for the longer splined output shaft on the power steering rack.

Hmmm, I guess there is a seven image limit per post ..... to be continued.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug's MK4 Build - Power Steering Continued

... cut and paste is a wonderful thing ...

Flattened the top of the bearings to eliminate interference with the bottom of the pedal box mounting bracket.

Added 8-32 set screws to each side of steering column to reduce play. Need to replace with shorter screws but you get the idea. Thanks to the edwardb build thread for this and other improvements shown here.

Centered the rack as a last step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice photos! I added a set screw (grub screw where I'm from!) and it makes a heck of a difference to reducing the play.
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    Nice photos! I added a set screw (grub screw where I'm from!) and it makes a heck of a difference to reducing the play.
    Never heard them called that but it makes sense now that you say it. Thanks for the compliment on the photos. Just the cell phone .... and when it is not taking pictures it is playing music. Amazing electronics nowadays.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug:

This is the first time I hear about the set screws on the steering shaft. It's a great idea, which I'll implement on my build. Great details and photos.

Since you mentioned that you were interested, I finished my powder coating box. It measures 30" x 30" x 60", made of mostly aluminum, I can completely take it apart in minutes, and set it in a corner of my garage. You can see how I built it on my Coupe build thread, if you'd like.

Keep up the good work.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    Doug:

This is the first time I hear about the set screws on the steering shaft. It's a great idea, which I'll implement on my build. Great details and photos.

Since you mentioned that you were interested, I finished my powder coating box. It measures 30" x 30" x 60", made of mostly aluminum, I can completely take it apart in minutes, and set it in a corner of my garage. You can see how I built it on my Coupe build thread, if you'd like.

Keep up the good work.

Carlos
    Thanks Carlos. I first saw the set screw idea in edwardb's thread as a way to eliminate that last bit of steering wheel play. It is a great thread if you have not read through it yet. I am definitely interested in your larger powder coat oven and will check out your Coupe build. I use my bench top oven frequently. My roadster panels are currently out to the powder coat shop but I would like to do them .... on the next build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, sorry Doug. I'm afraid that we're not on the same page. What I built was a big powder coating box, so powder wouldn't get all over my garage. I have a full-size household oven in my garage, dedicated for just powder coating. It can handle the smaller chassis panels, suspension parts, and wheels.

I was building an extension box for the oven out of steel about a year ago, but never finished it. This extension box will allow me to bake larger items, such as the bigger chassis panels, so I will be finishing this side project very soon.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Doug's MK4 Build - Engine Arrived

The engine finally arrived from Levy Racing. What a work of art. Still short transmission, exhaust and a couple of other parts but it is certainly not slowing me down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug-

She looks great. Is that grey powdercoat on the throttle bodies?

She's going to look awesome when she's buttoned up.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a Borla 8-stack and I believe the throttle bodies are cast aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking engine Doug Can't wait to see it installed
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmiller64 View Post
    Great looking engine Doug Can't wait to see it installed
    Thanks Rick,
    I am slow going but hopefully in the next couple of months!
    Doug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12