FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wilwood clutch pedal hitting frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood clutch pedal hitting frame.

Are F5 engineers aware of clutch pedal hitting 3/4 frame of roadster. I know, as well as myself everybody is notching out the frame.. but my question is , How could this happen? and how why has a fix not been made?
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilwood made a running change to the pedals, going from a cast T shape to a forged H shape which reduced the clearance to the chassis. Because there is still enough throw in the pedal for good clutch disengagement we haven't made any updates around the change. No issues with making a small notch to get extra adjustment on the clutch pedal, just make sure to seal the tube back up so it doesn't create a water trap where it angles down to the front suspension.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    Wilwood made a running change to the pedals, going from a cast T shape to a forged H shape which reduced the clearance to the chassis. Because there is still enough throw in the pedal for good clutch disengagement we haven't made any updates around the change. No issues with making a small notch to get extra adjustment on the clutch pedal, just make sure to seal the tube back up so it doesn't create a water trap where it angles down to the front suspension.
    I assume that 90% of these cars use the Wilwood pedal box and each buyer will have to face some sort of resolution to the problem. Each buyer has differencing talents and abilities so the modifications will vary. There are potential problems associated with both of your solutions. Doing nothing forces the pedal sideways when it hits the frame and puts a hinge stress in the pedal mount that may cause a failure later or unusual wear. Notching the frame decreases the strength associated with that member. If you are suggesting the notch in the frame by the builder has no structural consequences you may be putting your company at risk. If you believe the notch is a viable solution, FFR should do this to keep the integrity of the frame to a known level.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    My view is similar to 2bking's - a majority of the MKIV's being sold today seem to use this pedal box. Since foot space is such a premium in these cars, most want to set the pedal height as far away from them as possible. I personally know of 6 builders locally who went down the same path of having to make modifications to allow them to lower the at rest pedal height. Jim, although you are technically correct that there is enough throw to allow for full disengagement without modification, I think that the practical application for most builders is to want the leg room requiring them to make modifications to achieve it.

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I also respectfully disagree with the position from FF. The standard builds now are with the Wilwood pedal box. Unlike previous donor pedal boxes, it's not possible to raise the position of the clutch pedal with the Wilwood box. It has a hard stop at the top. Not that I would ever want the clutch pedal higher than the brake pedal anyway. With the upper limit of the Wilwood box, the frame interference point does not allow sufficient pedal movement. Period. This includes cable and the commonly installed hydraulic setups. I also agree with 2bking, you don't want the arm running into the frame and imparting a side load. Personally, I'm more than satisfied with the frame notch and plug/bridge solution I've used now on two builds. I don't believe it's removing any strength from the frame, and it's similar to the commonly used and I assume widely accepted Whitby frame mod for vacuum power brakes. But this seems like it would be such an easy fix by FF to just make it go away. I see a number of improvements on my recently received Mk4 compared to my previous one. And I've seen pictures of even newer ones than my latest with still more improvements. All good. Why not include this as well?
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-14-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a problem on the Coupes too. They really should've fixed this by now... It's been a problem for years from my understanding and there's no reason they haven't fixed it except that they're a small company and they can't do too many things at once.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally caved in and notched the clutch pedal instead of the frame over the weekend. I did not have to take off very much to get full motion so I'm pretty happy with that route. That said, I was not at all happy about cutting into a perfectly good part - but it's done now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this type of discussion is very valuable. Please take this as constructive. We should not be wacking the frame. Now, if we choose to install a mod from another vendor like the Whitby PB system, that's a whole different story. Myself and a few others have made it more then a 15 year mission through our post to make F5 as respected as ERA, Superformance and the rest of the bunch. I can prove that by our many battles on Club Cobra. I was banned many times. Today on Club Cobra, F5 gets the respect it deserves... Each version from MK1 to MK4 is better. Now that F5 is entering the price point of the other cars.... we as the consumer may start taking pause and saying hey... lets think about this a minute. I have F5 in the blood and it will most like stay that way. But, I just want to make sure that the F5 blood flows through the new folks veins for many years to come. When I get my current build finished, and pull into the cruise in next to a SPF or ERA... I want the gwakers to say, Hey man... That's a Factory 5!!
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker