Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: EZ36 Engine required items

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. What I was trying to say didn't come out as it should. You confirmed a bunch of my thoughts with what you said. Fortunately I have plenty of time to research this more.

I was hoping that someone had "done the math" already and had more info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUalum1986 View Post
    Thanks Jeff. What I was trying to say didn't come out as it should. You confirmed a bunch of my thoughts with what you said. Fortunately I have plenty of time to research this more.

I was hoping that someone had "done the math" already and had more info.
    No worries. I can post up a spreadsheet for trying different ratios. A lot depends on how you have configured the EZ30R. If you are running a smaller turbo that spools faster and runs out more up top, you might be better served with longer gears. When I first did the EZ30R in my bugeye, I had a JDM 6 speed which has very short 5th and 6th gears. That was noticeable, and when I eventually switched to USDM gears things improved.

Are you planning on doing a turbo configuration, or stay NA? It would be difficult to rev this engine much over 7k rpm without changing the buckets, eliminating the AVLS, and changing cams.

While there is some optimization that can be done, honestly the EZ motor will work well with most of the available Subaru manual transmissions, especially given the light weight of the 818.

I would add one other thing... The EZ30s in NA are dogs. I spent quite a bit of time trying to eek out more power in a NA and there was not a lot to be had. A well tuned EJ25 with a small turbo can make more torque everywhere and more HP up top. Now is you put a small turbo on the EZ, then things really come alive!

Jeff