Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Building a mk4 or a type 65 coupe for the first time, which could be better choice?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. One of the best things ever written about building a coupe can be found by doing a google search for "fail, fail, fail, type 65," or something reasonably close to that. I think the web address is type65.blogspot.com. The author's entry titled "fail, Fail, FAIL" gives a candid overview of the struggles of building the thing. I think the short of it is that you need to be a little more of a fabricator and problem-solver to build a coupe, compared to a roadster, particularly if you want the aluminum paneling and body to have a really nice fit and finish (the old and true saying is "everything almost fits"). This is not a criticism of the kit or meant to dissuade anyone, but worth reading before putting down your hard-earned money. Again, welcome and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    Welcome. One of the best things ever written about building a coupe can be found by doing a google search for "fail, fail, fail, type 65," or something reasonably close to that. I think the web address is type65.blogspot.com. The author's entry titled "fail, Fail, FAIL" gives a candid overview of the struggles of building the thing. I think the short of it is that you need to be a little more of a fabricator and problem-solver to build a coupe, compared to a roadster, particularly if you want the aluminum paneling and body to have a really nice fit and finish (the old and true saying is "everything almost fits"). This is not a criticism of the kit or meant to dissuade anyone, but worth reading before putting down your hard-earned money. Again, welcome and good luck.
    I found and read through this blog. It's sad seeing someone going into a project with excitement and enthusiasm and then later reaching the point where he wants to bail on the whole thing before finishing. He was unable to sell it for what he had in it (no surprise there, unfortunately) so is having someone finish it for him. There are some important lessons to be learned in this blog. These things take time. Lots of it. He didn't have enough and admitted it. Little to no experience can be a problem, and was in this case. This project included a donor and a lot of part rehabilitation. Also a lot of work, and maybe not for everyone. The builder also shows that it's nearly impossible to build one of these with only the manual. Especially without experience. These are all points prospective buyer/builders should be honest with themselves about, regardless of what they are trying to build. In this particular case, the guy may have been better off with a Roadster. But likely would have faced some of the same issues IMO.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-12-2016 at 07:26 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.