FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: new 818 headlight assembly improvement

Post Thanks / Like

new 818 headlight assembly improvement

I wanted to reinforce the 3 plastic adjustable ball-end screws/sockets that hold the Hella light units into the thermoformed headlight buckets. The instructions say to use epoxy to bond the plastic sockets to the plastic bucket. I have never had too much luck getting epoxy to stick to plastic, but I am sure there are some that will (check McMaster.com for epoxy and see what they have). FFR did not recommend a specific epoxy, but this is a mount that impacts safety if it is not made well, so I suggest experimenting if you plan to stick with the epoxy solution.

I made a cardboard template and fabricated some small aluminum capture plates to mechanically trap the Hella sockets onto the FFR buckets. I used a sharpie, tin snips and a grinding wheel to finish the blanks, and then a pair of square jaw pliers to bend them to shape. FFR supplied pop rivets hold them to the bucket with backing washers to reinforce the soft plastic used for the bucket.

I can post a drawing/template if anyone wants. Also could have a bunch laser cut and formed if enough folk would rather buy than DIY. That said, it takes me less than 10 minutes apiece, now that I know what I am doing.

IMG_6193.JPGIMG_6192.JPGIMG_6191.JPGIMG_6190.JPGIMG_6189.JPGIMG_6188.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben, thanks! I don't have my new front end yet but when I read through the instructions I wondered about epoxy on plastic and the adjustment screws. Your improvement makes sense to me so I have saved it for when I get my new white front end. Maybe in March?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I would buy it. I would prefer laser cut but whichever is easier works for me. I think you one of the first to get buckets. I would also be ver weary of those leds. They came dead for me and are not visible pass 5 ft

Post Thanks / Like
    yikes, not visible past 5 feet? That seems like something must be failed or else not being adequately powered. How were you testing them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bench testing at iWire. They don't throw light and are purely there for aesthetics. I'm replacing them with some other LEDs I've found. We made a redesigned the front harness for the coupe already and we're playing with them. In a low light room we couldn't see any real light on a board that was place 5ft in front of the lights. The light available would be equal to a late afternoon that was pretty heavily overcast. In a typical sunny day you wouldn't be able to see anything. This was from the white leds. The yellow ones for the turn signal gave off a better projection. Also 2 out of the 8 LEDs were DOA which sucked so make sure you 3x check them before sealing up your lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know if they had a sufficient supply of current for the (presumably) 12volt supply, or maybe they were testing with a car battery?

Also, I think the LEDs are more of an aesthetic element versus actually designed to be usable for casting light on anything. I am surprised how little light you are saying they produce.

I will check for DOA LEDs also. Thanks for the heads up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Car battery. As we were doing our routine pre shipment check for the harness. We connect the harness and go through all connections making sure everything electrically works. Everything is hooked up like it would be in a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cxNP6PFgan4

I've got a set of these that I will be replacing the ffr LEDs with. Got both white and yellow. These are actually visible. I might play with resistors to dim them done a bit. We were getting light up against the wall about 20-25 ft away from the table were we were testing the other lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do any reputable companies produce replacement led that would work? I feel like buying the above replacements or any electronic device of unknown origin off eBay to be sketchy.

*edit - it looks like these are the same led as in the video above. Many good reviews on the site. Going to see if I can find any information on about different site.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-light/1494/
    Last edited by metros; 02-21-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't some of the LED's meant to be the turn lights? Kinda scary if they don't cast light. i've been mentally trying to think of a way to make the headlight a servicable assembly but am lost for ideas. I don't like the idea of needing to paint the edges either. Was thinking either vinyl or (dreaming here) carbon fiber trim rings. Once I have the ability to do, the other I'd need help with (and that didn't work out well last time).
    Last edited by Mechie3; 02-21-2016 at 09:45 PM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    When did you guys get your headlights? I still haven't heard a word about getting any parts.

I have had great luck with super bright LEDs worth the money if you need a better LED for sure.
    Last edited by redfogo; 02-21-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard from Courtnie Friday. They're hoping to get headlight parts in this weeks. I don't have anything yet either.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    The link I posted was just a generic review of the type of light I'm using. The ones I have already have been test for a few hours of straight use already.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how much the housings will cost once they have them in stock. I'm not sure how I feel about the multi LED look. I kinda want more of a F430 or a C7 corvette kinda of style. I may be willing to chop mine up, but I should probably find out the price of housings before I commit to cutting them up.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those LEDs are bright they just don't kick in until the voltage is above 12. If you are testing them you need to have the car running with the alternator hooked up to see how bright they are or they just will have a kind of dull glow.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    Those LEDs are bright they just don't kick in until the voltage is above 12. If you are testing them you need to have the car running with the alternator hooked up to see how bright they are or they just will have a kind of dull glow.
    Our bench tester runs at 13.8V so when we tested that should be the actual output and they were reasonably bright if looking at them straight on. But as far as actual road usage, I'm not so sure beyond an accent. The Hellas did a great job though!
    Last edited by iWire; 02-26-2016 at 01:30 PM.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]