FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Boig Motorsports New Exhaust and Cooling Systems for the 818

Post Thanks / Like

Boig Motorsports New Exhaust and Cooling Systems for the 818

Boig Motorsports proudly announces NEW undercar and through the rear 818 exhaust systems. They are designed to fit all Factory Five 818s including those using the latest trunk design.

Under car exhaust systems

818 under car center exit exhaust with twin tip resonator.

These systems are two piece, for ease of installation. There are two choices of upper pipe - one with a Magnaflow catalytic converter, the other with a Quiet Pipes baffled muffler (not a glasspack). There are two lower configurations available. The first is a straight through tube which allows the customer to choose and install custom exhaust tips. The second option is a Monza style glass packed twin tip resonator. Both tips exit under the 818 in the middle of the car. These systems fit both standard and diffuser fitted cars. Both lower pipes clear the underbody by 1-1/4", leaving plenty of room for a diffuser. The bottom of the lower pipes is 3/4" higher than the plane of the frame offering good ground clearance. Either top section will fit either lower section, providing four possible combinations.

818 under car center exit exhaust with convertor

These systems utilize a bell mouth turbo flange, and 2 1/4" 16 ga. (.065" wall) quality
    U.S. made tubing. They are mandrel bent, formed, and welded in the U.S. Please note the quality of welds, bends, and forming in the attached pictures.

818 under car center exit exhaust with muffler

The system can be VHT painted, or ceramic coated by the customer. The units are jig built to order and O2 bungs will be located per customer request. Hardware and gasket for attachment of upper to lower section are included.

A support bracket is available which attaches solidly to the transmission. No other support is necessary.

818 turbo under car exhaust with converter and twin tip resonator

For customers interested in the quietest system, that would be the quiet pipes upper with the resonator lower section. Next quietest is the catalytic converter upper with the resonator lower.

In the testing and development of this product, seven mufflers and three converters were evaluated to ensure best performance. Extremely tight room constraints were a major factor, and sound quality and clean design was the goal.

818 turbo exhaust and bell mouth flange

These units are available to order now. Delivery will be 3-4 weeks.

We hope you enjoy the product as much as our four man development and fabrication team enjoyed the challenge!

Click here to visit our website and order.

Click here to order from Replica Parts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boig Motorsports Parts

View our 818 Exhaust and Cooling Tubes!

View our Roadster, Type 65 Coupe, and Hot Rod Cooling Tubes!

View our Quiet Pipes Side Pipe Kits for Roadsters!

Post Thanks / Like

Through the rear exhaust systems

Also available are through the rear systems, compatible with FFR's latest trunk design. They are made in the U.S., of domestic material. The design features bell mouth turbo flanges, mandrel bends, and outstanding fabrication. These are truly quality pieces.

Through the rear systems are available in 2-1/4”, 2-1/2”, and 3” diameters, as straight through pipes, muffled, or with catalytic converters. Support brackets are available. Stainless steel is available in 3” size, but mild steel costs less, and when VHT painted, or ceramic coated, doesn’t turn black with use. Also, when coated as suggested, they run cooler than stainless steel.

These systems are jig built, and fit perfectly. O2 bungs are available to customer’s request.

818 turbo rear exit baffled muffler.

818 turbo rear exit exhaust with catalytic converter.

818 rear exit exhaust support bracket.

Post Thanks / Like

818 Aluminum Cooling Tubes

Custom fit aluminum cooling tubes replace corrugated hoses in FFR's 818. They are made with U.S. sourced Alcoa aluminum. Tubes are mandrel bent, and the ends are beaded to retain coupler hoses. Kits include aluminum tubes, coupler hoses and clamps. System is more compact than corrugated tubing, and requires less space in footboxes. Because tubes are properly beaded, hoses can't blow off. Tubes can be easily polished to a high shine.

Two kits are available, for early 818 with straight side cooling tubes, and for later 818 with bent side cooling tubes. Kits can be ordered for front, rear, or complete car.

818 Cooling Tubes Set for Early 818 Component Cars

818 Left Front at Radiator

818 Left Front Inner

818 Left Rear at Engine

818 Right Front Inner

818 Right Rear at Engine

Radiator View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have both the Boig exhaust with muffler that comes out through the rear screen and the coolant lines. Both are top notch and highly recommended. Sounds awesome and much better than using the flexible coolant lines. Fit was perfect. I bought the exhaust through Mike Everson of Replica Parts and the coolant lines through Mark Reynolds at Breeze.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple of shots on my Boig exhaust with Mike Everson's bracket and trim ring. I've also used his cooling tubes. All fit perfectly and look and function great.IMG_0702.JPGIMG_0704.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone compared the Boig quiet pipes & resonator system to the plain donor cat-only exhaust? I'd like to reduce the loudness of my 818C but would like some assurance the cost will give a significant noise reduction.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Has anyone compared the Boig quiet pipes & resonator system to the plain donor cat-only exhaust? I'd like to reduce the loudness of my 818C but would like some assurance the cost will give a significant noise reduction.
    I compared the Boig muffler (no resonator) to his cat. Huge sound reduction, but still sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed the Boig system with the muffler and twin-pipe resonator on my 818C ('06 WRX 2.5 turbo with Perrin EL header). There is a substantial difference from the cat-only exhaust I took off. It's still loud inside but now that the exhaust sound is reduced I can hear that I'm getting lots of road and wind noise that was masked by the exhaust before this upgrade. Next, I'll reduce road and wind noise by adding inside door panels, insulation and rubber seals. To measure the noise difference I used an IPhone app "dB Meter" which is free so likely worth the price:
    818C inside @ idle: before 80 db, after 71 db
    818C inside @ 60 mph/5th gear: before 92 db, after 88 db

Though dB Meter showed only a 4 db reduction at 60 mph, the difference is very noticeable and the tone is better, I think. For comparison, my Mercedes SUV is 80 db at 60 mph and my house is 40 db (no kids, wife out probably shopping)

Boig muffler.jpgBoig resonators.jpg
    Last edited by AZPete; 11-20-2016 at 02:34 PM. Reason: added photos
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    That's actually a big reduction, db's ar on a logarithmic scale.

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafe...n/dblevels.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I was gonna say the same thing. Keep in mind that OSHA permissible levels for an 8 hour workday is 90 decibels, and anything over 85 requires a mandatory hearing safety program, for reference. So, no 8 hour drives for you, sir!!
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 11-20-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been trying to use the contact form on the Boig website but am never able to send a request.

I'm interested in the 818 turbo under car exhaust with converter and twin tip resonator. I don't think I see it on their website. I'm wanting to know that it exits completely under the car and does not pass through the rear bumper. I would also like to know the price.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn, my system with a muffler exits under the rear bumper, not through it, and I think a system with the cat would exit the same. See photo in Post #8 above. I can't help you with the price but Mike Everson at Replicaparts.com will know everything. It's best to email him at [email protected]
    BTW, I still like my Boig system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for the info. I will check with Mike. Is Boig still in business?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Glenn,

Yes, Boig is still in business. I am working with him now for Gen III Coupe parts. I'll let him know to check out this post.

Thx,

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn, Yes, Boig Motorsports IS in business. I do not understand why you can't get through to me! We've just set up the site www.boigmotorsports.com, and I have received a few inquiries, but maybe there are problems. I'll have the site coordinator look into it. In the meantime, I'd love to help you with an exhaust system.

Yes, the system does exit completely under the car,and dosen't go thru the bumper.

Please call me at 781-424-0882

Bob Boig

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any images using the under car exhaust with the diffuser in place?