Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Introducing the worlds shortest driveshaft!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Introducing the worlds shortest driveshaft!

It fits! This is for my 2015 Coyote, T56 Magnum transmission, with 2015 IRS transmission. A few things to note if you are crazy enough to try this at home. The transmission mount bracket needs to be modified (see pictures below). There is a small spot on the parking brake bracket that needs to be ground down for clearance, and a custom driveshaft is needed. Nate at Michell Drivetrain in Shrewsbury MA (who happens to be one of the vendors who supplies FFR with their drive shafts) did an amazing job machining down two joints before welding them up and running it through the balancing machine. Joint to joint it measures 4" and has 3/4" split play into the transmission (31 spline). Three drive line shops I called first said it couldn't be done. To get it in you must put it while you are installing the motor and trans though. The joint doesn't have enough flex to clear if you try and install it after the motor/trans are in.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Duke,

Someone once said, "if I have enough time and money, I can do anything".

They should have added......."and if you find the right craftsman". That's almost unbelievable. BTW: you beat me. I built a different kind of roadster with a C2 Corvette chassis with BBC. It was set back 10 inches and down 6 inches so the drive shaft was about 6.5 to 7 inches long. Yours is almost universal welded to universal. The welding is nice too. So are you the first one to do this?

I suppose you could lift and move the engine forward a little to uninstall and reinstall your driveshaft but it would be a project.

Great innovation!

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    This is exactly what i'm planning to do! Thanks for posting! let me know how it works, and if you could post more on this. thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Yes, first to do this combo (Coyote, T56 Mag, new '15 IRS). I'll post more in my build thread next week. This is actually just two universal joints welded together. They had to machine them down though as they were too long by themselves. There's a small amount of tube that's used as filler but the inside of the joints are flush together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holey Snikeys that is small...well done...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mitchell Drivetrain seems to be staffed by some very skilled and committed techs. They did a heck of a job narrowing my housing and shortening my axles. They also reinstalled my WaveTrac diff unit, and all was done in a few days for a reasonable fee. Very happy with them.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Similar to a double cardan joint used in 4WD. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...nt&FORM=RESTAB

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked my driveshaft up a few minutes ago. I thought the one I had made was small...haha

driveshaft.jpg

Mine is for a 2007 Mustang GT drivetrain with 3-link rear
    Last edited by ATOLightning; 03-28-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    Michael
    MK4 #7804
    Plans:
    3V SOHC 4.6 Powered, TR-3650, 3-Link (3.31) 17" Chrome FR500's, Dual Roll Bars, Speedhut Gauges
    Ordered: OCT-2012 Delivered: 16-MAY-2012 First Start: 21-JUN-2015 First Drive: 26-MAY-2016 Paint: TBD Licensed & Tagged: 23-NOV-2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tirod View Post
    Similar to a double cardan joint used in 4WD. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...nt&FORM=RESTAB
    Funny, we talked about this option but he said they were mostly hollow and probably wouldn't survive the torque.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is mighty short but I believe the Cheetah was shorter. The one I saw used a single u-joint with no tube at all with only one spider. 

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I do like the idea of having a 6-speed transmission in these vehicles but I guess it's not absolutely necessary. Between March 2016 and now, how has it been behaving? If I had to remove the driveshaft for whatever reason, I think I'd pull the axles and the third member and leave the engine/transmission where it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    still in the gocart phase. I've only driven it on/off the trailer a few times. ETA on completion is late spring. To add complication to the project I'm putting 15" wheels on which means I'm working with Gordon on building a parking brake into the drive line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Duke,

I'm going to have to give Mitchell Drivetrain and a couple other places a call on Monday. In your build thread you mentioned you have 8.25" between IRS mounting point and the end of the tranny output shaft. My setup is currently 7.75" for that same dimension so I'm a little concerned. Did they tell you that yours was literally as short as physically possible? If so I may have to slide my engine/tranny package up a 1/4 - 1/2". Agreed, the T56Magnum is a monster tranny...
    I'm going to mention your driveshaft build if that's OK with you. Not necessarily by name, just that it's the same FFR Roadster, same '15 IRS, same T56M tranny, etc...

-TJ