Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Undercoating the body

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

Undercoating the body

A number of folks have used rubberized undercoat on the inside of the fiberglass panels, or bed-liners like Herculiner.

I'm considering adding Herculiner, mostly to get the underside black and to hide the fiberglass texture. I'm curious how well the truck bed liners hold up to engine heat? We all know the engine bay in the 818 gets REAL hot, so I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience with undercoatings and how they hold up to the engine bay heat.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can not say that I have used this product but I am strongly considering it for my coupe build. Heat/Sound Protection and reasonable cost that I can paint on versus spray. Product lists 500 degrees as the limit. Enjoy
    http://www.alsliner.com/alsHNR

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used it on my 818 with no ill affects from heat. I used it in the engine bay on the aluminum splash shields of my type 65 coupe as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used DEI boom mat spray for most of my panels. It can handle 300*, which will be fine for most everything except the engine cover. I used the dei mats for the engine cover for that reason.

I'm interested to hear how the above als liner applies and holds up over time.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've used Herculiner, but it was in a few truck beds.
    It held up fine and these were work trucks not family grocery getters.
    I like the idea and may use it the underside of my MK-4 body.
    Thanks For The Idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm considering lizard skin ceramic coating for the engine bay, I know it's pricy but it claims protection up to 500 degrees .

http://www.lizardskin.com/car-ceramic-insulation.html

Inside the fenders will need IMO somthing like bed liner to protect from rocks thrown by the tires. I'll be doing this as one of the last things after paint or wrap or dip the panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    My FFR roadster got star cracks in the fenders from stones thrown up by the tires. The problem was cured with yoga mat so on my 818 I glued yoga mat in with undercoating.
    pad inside front fender.jpg
    And, a few people might be impressed seeing you buy a yoga mat.

I used brush-on bedliner on the inside of all body panels and have no problem with heat, even next to the tailpipe.
    Last edited by AZPete; 04-22-2016 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added bedliner
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input everyone. I've also been worried about added weight but a gallon of the stuff weighs 10lbs and I can't imagine using more than a single gallon so I will accept the 10lb cost.

I don't know that the 818 is going to have the same star-cracking issues as the roadster because the 818 has the aluminum liners that completely cover the tire. I will cover the liners with rubberized undercoat since it's softer than bedliner and will probably do a better job at deadening the sounds of rocks, but we'll see how well it sticks to aluminum. I think prep will be the key there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight, lots of folks have successfully applied the various undercoat materials to the underside of roadster aluminum panels - seat base and foot box base - to deaden the sound of rocks bouncing up to the underside of the car. Key is to rough up the surface a bit prior to rolling on. I believe hurculiner has some videos for prep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight, I guess I should have been more specific by saying the front fenders need protection from star cracks. The rear wheel wells protect the rear fenders, as you correctly noted.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pete - For some reason I thought the front wheel wells had a splash guard similar to the rears but I guess they don't. That definitely means some sort of cushioning on the fenders is critical.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't want any TruCoat!
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love that movie. If you haven't seen the TV series spin-off, it's fantastic. Billy Bob Thornton is incredible in the first season.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    we had a deal for nineteen five!
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.