Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: engine choices - research question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You just described everything that a Coyote provides. Earlier versions of the footbox panels did reduce space, and was a stopper for me even with my measly 10-1/2's. I used modified panels that restored the space to within fractions of an inch of my completed SBF Mk4. The latest versions from Factory Five now have similar panels. Size 13's will have you scrambling for space no matter which engine you choose. But can be managed with narrowed and carefully placed pedals, whatever additional bump-outs can be added on each side, and don't overlook the kind of shoes you wear. While not racing shoes, I found some running shoes that are significantly narrower than my usual shoes, and really help.

This is a pic of the footbox in my current Coyote build. Those are Forte's AC pedals which are nice plus slightly narrower than the standard Wilwood pedals. Proper placement of the Coyote DBW is also important. It's a little hard to see, but the sheetmetal is over the 4 inch tube almost exactly in the same location as SBF sheet metal. The newest version of the sheet metal has an additional bump-out on the LH side that I don't have.

Thank you. I am going to show my ignorance here. Can you tell me what the "coyote dbw" is and also "sbf"? I am seriously starting with minimal knowledge base!

Also reading through your build thread and others it seems the coyote build is more complicated. How would you rate the complexity vs using a small block? I am somewhat intimidated by that aspect as well. The coyote definitely meets my desired end results but I am concerned about getting there! ha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Thank you. I am going to show my ignorance here. Can you tell me what the "coyote dbw" is and also "sbf"? I am seriously starting with minimal knowledge base!

Also reading through your build thread and others it seems the coyote build is more complicated. How would you rate the complexity vs using a small block? I am somewhat intimidated by that aspect as well. The coyote definitely meets my desired end results but I am concerned about getting there! ha
    The dbw is drive by wire. There is no throttle cable. An electronic signal is sent from the pedal to the throttle on the engine. Most of your newer cars are dbw.

Sbf. Is small block Ford. Most likely meaning a 302 or 351 based motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post

Having done both, I agree the Coyote adds some complexity. If you're comparing to a carb'd engine, definitely the wiring and overall installation of the carb'd engine is simpler. But then there's the matter of getting the carb'd engine properly tuned, which isn't always simple. I've had good luck with both of my carb'd builds and they run great. But some don't have the same experience. If you're going to add EFI to an engine vs. a carb, then the gap gets a little narrower and there still can be tuning challenges. The Coyote is already engineered and (in theory) once installed should just go. I believe that's a pretty typical experience. I would say one of the biggest challenges right now is most of the Coyote installations have been the 2011-2014 version, and that's also what the Factory Five instructions show. My build is with the 2015-2016 version, plus this whole Coyote thing is new to me, so I've been learning as I go. There are a few other 2015 builds going on as well. I expect this will smooth out a bit with more experience and hopefully updated instructions. I talk about this a lot in my build thread. I don't rate the added Coyote wiring any more difficult than any of the other wiring required for one of these builds. Just adds more. Also I made a quite a few changes to the stock wiring in my build which is completely optional. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Toy4me View Post
    The dbw is drive by wire. There is no throttle cable. An electronic signal is sent from the pedal to the throttle on the engine. Most of your newer cars are dbw.

Sbf. Is small block Ford. Most likely meaning a 302 or 351 based motor.
    Yep, that's what they are all right. Sorry for the acronyms. The DBW signal goes to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module, or sometimes called ECM, Engine Control Module) and it determines the proper throttle position and sends the command to the throttle plate. Completely eliminates the need for a throttle cable or linkage. Kind of cool.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-02-2016 at 10:37 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.