Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any pitfalls using a Saab 9-2x aero?

Post Thanks / Like

Any pitfalls using a Saab 9-2x aero?

I was wondering if anyone has run into an issue with using the 9-2x as a full donor. I see on the google doc sheet that has been shared that its listed as a full donor car, but I was curious if anyone ran into any issues using one. While its essentially a WRX with Saab panels and badges, I just wanted to make sure that if I needed to replace something like the auto transmission with a manual that I'm not going to have to have an issue with a Subaru tranny. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFeyler View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has run into an issue with using the 9-2x as a full donor. I see on the google doc sheet that has been shared that its listed as a full donor car, but I was curious if anyone ran into any issues using one. While its essentially a WRX with Saab panels and badges, I just wanted to make sure that if I needed to replace something like the auto transmission with a manual that I'm not going to have to have an issue with a Subaru tranny. Thanks.
    I looked closely at using a 9-2x as my donor. I saw no issues.
    Of hundreds of 818 on here, I only know of one built as an automatic.
    Both my donors were forester XT automatics (04-05). I switched them to 5 speed manuals.
    I chose that car for the 2.5L with STI internals. Also no immobilizer to deal with.
    About $2500 for a run and drive copart salvage car plus fees.
    One from Detroit and one from Georgia. I recommend staying out of the rust belt.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't planning on using the automatic in my build, but I see where I didn't make that apparent, I am planning to swap the auto for a manual. But then again this Saab is already someones daily driver. I might end up just buying a salvage, but i don't want it sitting in my driveway for months before I get the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 92x will work perfectly for everything you need from a donor. The 2005 92x Aero came with the STI steering rack. I believe in 2006 the Aero, WRX and STI had identical racks.

I've had a handful of them, converted a few to EJ207s, still have the one I bought new in 2005. Of course it's now running a full JDM V9 Spec C Type RA drivetrain...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes they will work, I've used one
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, what parts did you have to add for using a Forester? I want to cast as wide a net as possible while I'm searching, and I didn't know Foresters were on the list.
    Also, I heard one of the techs mention a Legacy in one of the videos. Anything to watch out for there?
    Wifey suggested I might buy a donor before school lets out, even. I might take her up on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    Bob, what parts did you have to add for using a Forester? I want to cast as wide a net as possible while I'm searching, and I didn't know Foresters were on the list.
    Also, I heard one of the techs mention a Legacy in one of the videos. Anything to watch out for there?
    Wifey suggested I might buy a donor before school lets out, even. I might take her up on it
    Turbo,
    There is a donor spread sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...J-E/edit#gid=1

The rear mount on the forester LCA is different. No problem finding the correct mount. 50-$100
    The dash cluster is a little different shape and pin out. We used it in our car but was fine for our car. (not a show car)

That is the only issues I can remember with the forester XT. We are using 2 of them for our 2 818s.

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/2867967...chId=351909814

Bob

PS: The spreadsheet shows the forester having rear drum brakes. The forester XT (turbo) has rear disk.

Here is one I would go after for about $2000. 07 FXT 5MT 133k miles.
    The forester XT with manual transmissions are harder to find. You can tell by the console picture.
    If any Subaru has front right damage, there is a good chance that the car wil have right side cam sprocket damage and bent valves.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 09-10-2016 at 06:58 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I don't think I would have considered cam sprocket damage. And thanks for the link to the spreadsheet.
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 09-10-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That Forrester looks like it has that damage, pass on it
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos