Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: (FNG)....First Post!!!

Post Thanks / Like

(FNG)....First Post!!!

Hello FFR Community!
    My name is Keith, 45 y/o, live in Florida. I have been carousing the build threads for the past few days and have really enjoyed all the pictures, tech tips, and general enthusiasm towards these cars! I'm thinking about plunging into my own project, but haven't made a final decision yet. Maybe y'all can help me make that decision. Ultimately, I know it's my decision, but some encouragement in either direction might help me out. Here's my story....
    I've been a Chevy enthusiast my entire life. I love 'em all, but primarily the Camaro. I've owned a '69 Camaro when I was much younger, and just recently sold a highly modified 2010 Camaro SS/RS with about 500hp. I loved that car!!! The only reason I sold it was because it was my only vehicle, and I have (2) young children, and a long drive to work every day, so it was really impractical for me. I was trying to be a "rational adult" by selling it, but I sure regret it now!!! Now, I have a more "practical" crew cab truck that gets good gas mileage, but it is SOOOOO BORING!!! I need another project car, or something to work on!!! My Wife has agreed to let me get "something" by next Summer, but I can't decide if I want that something to be a decent 1st Gen Camaro or a FFR MkIV Roadster?!?!?!?! I love the 1st Gen Camaros, I'm very knowledgeable about them, and I know they are only going to increase in value as time goes on. But still, the idea of building my own car from the ground up REALLY appeals to me!!! I like the idea of "all new", no rusted out panels, and taking my time on a project build. I've NEVER really been a Ford Fan, but like most folks, I have always liked the looks and performance of the classic "Cobra". I would really LOVE to build the 289 Kit, but I think that's a bit out of my price range!!! I would also love to build a MkIV Roadster with GM (LS3 or LS7) drivetrain, but again, I think for now, that is out of my budget range. So, I was thinking maybe I would just start with a basic MkIV kit and use an old Mustang donor car. That would at least get me on the road, and seems like the most economical way to get started. Who knows, maybe later on down the road I can convert it over to a LS7 or something!!! But still, I can't get the idea out of my head that maybe I should just look for a decent rust free '68 Camaro or something similar. Not sure what to do at this point, but I have about a year to figure it out.....
    So whattaya think? Camaro or MkIV Roadster Kit? I know, I know, I'm asking a dumb question on a obviously biased forum!!! Maybe I just need a little push!!!! I look forward to chatting with you guys, and hope I can become a "regular"!!!!

Take Care,
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the forum. You mentioned cost and value a couple times in your post. I will say that in general building these cars puts you on the wrong side of the value equation in most cases. I believe I could buy a very nice car comparable to what I am building for about 75% of the cost to build. To me it is about the build. Starting with a pile of parts and turning it into your car. From a purely economical stand point I think you could do better with the Camaro. But maybe the pride in building from the ground up overcomes the cost disadvantage. Just my opinion but something to think about. Sounds like either one would be a fun project. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Keith,

In theory, the donor route sounds good but it is pretty much lost it's appeal for most people. If you were the luckiest guy in the world to find that cherry Cobra Mustang that you knew was all good, then that would be the exception. Better to pick and choose the donor parts (best components from several years) if you go that route. I did a basic kit and spread it out for a few years. That's one way of beating the budget crunch. The total cost will build up fast. I too am a Chevy enthusiast. Strange to find yourself into an all Ford build after bleeding orange all your life.

I would vote for the roadster as it will be like driving something you have never driven before no matter how many muscle cars you've driven. 90 inch wheel base at 2200 lbs is nothing like a 3000+ lb muscle car. You have to drive it to believe it! It's hard to explain. I have a Corvette and it's fun to drive but no comparison to the roadster.

Good luck with your decision,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    NOTHING DRIVES LIKE A WELL POWERED FACTORY FIVE (YOU PICK THE MODEL) AND YOU WON'T GO WRONG!

I too have a Chevy (C-4 Corvette) and it has been a daily driver forever, 21 years to be exact; however, when I got the chance to ride in and drive a 302 powered MK-3, the flame was lit.
    About a year later I got to ride in and drive an over the top MK-4 and I was hooked.
    My recommendation is to get the complete kit and build your dream car.
    Though I'm not finished, I am getting close and can't wait to hear my "Dark Side Cobra" come to life.

Good Luck, Order The Assembly Manual & Get Your Cash Ready Because It Won't Be Wasted!

Steve / aka: GoDadGo
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-15-2016 at 06:44 PM.