I had my coupe inspected at the Columbus patrol post on Alum Creek Dr. In 2012. After making an appointment for the inspection I had to go to my local DMV and pay for a permit to get the inspection. I believe the permit would allow you to drive your vehicle to and from the inspection. I did not have insurance so that was not an option for me. It was trailered there and unloaded at the inspection area.
Make sure you have your receipts for all of the components on your car. They were very thorough going over those. I had made a notebook listing all components separately. Factory Five kit,motor-transmission,etc. Mine wasn't a donor build and there were only a few parts from a salvage yard. I did have all receipts for these.
When they were satisfied that nothing was stolen and taxes due Ohio were totaled I had to wait for the VIN tag to be issued. They notify you when it is ready and then you have to return to the inspection facility to install the VIN there. They have a DMV located at that facility so I was able to get my title done there. Titled as an Assembled Vehicle. Hope this helps
Jim