Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vantage Design Project

Post Thanks / Like

Vantage Design Project

Since I did not finish my design in time for the contest Some have said I should have just sent what I had done so far. But for me I like to complete things.

So I plan on finishing this design here.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is still a lot to be done. I am mostly going to work on the Coupe/Targa version. I'll give the specs., Template overlay, real parts used in the design.

Now understand that this is all done in Photoshop CS3, so it's going to take me a little longer, since I have to go back and forth between views to get the sizing acturate as possible.

Here is what I have so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks finished to me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    looks finished to me...
    It's mostly the side view, and a lot of details that I really didn't get to finish, like the interior, seams on the body in the right places, roll bar on side view etc.

For me this contest was never about winning or getting money, it was about a design that works and figuring out the details as much as possible.
    Last edited by Vman7; 06-07-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    It's mostly the side view, and a lot of details that I really didn't get to finish, like the interior, seams on the body in the right places, roll bar on side view etc.

For me this contest was never about winning or getting money, it was about a design that works and figuring out the details as much as possible.
    Those look nearly identical from last week when you could have submitted them. I understand it's about you making it perfect, but you could have submitted them and possibly seen your creation in real life, with tons of people drooling over it. I just don't understand why you didn't submit the design. FFR is going to tweak the design anyway.

It's a beautiful car, and you should be proud of it. It just seems like a waste.

Steve
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
    Those look nearly identical from last week when you could have submitted them. I understand it's about you making it perfect, but you could have submitted them and possibly seen your creation in real life, with tons of people drooling over it. I just don't understand why you didn't submit the design. FFR is going to tweak the design anyway.

It's a beautiful car, and you should be proud of it. It just seems like a waste.

Steve
    Yeah, I have thought about that a lot lately since you posted that in the other thread, but what is done is done, I'll just have to live with it. Who knows maybe some of the design may be used, at this point know way of really knowing. I am happy just sending the time coming up with an idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, nothing wrong with that. Who knows, with the way Dave is talking, there may be more design competitions in the future. By then you'll have the perfect car to submit.

Steve
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
    Well, nothing wrong with that. Who knows, with the way Dave is talking, there may be more design competitions in the future. By then you'll have the perfect car to submit.

Steve
    lol......yeah, I hope before the end of 2012.....you know the end of the world stuff and all.....lol

This way I can take my time as well and get away from it when I get stuck, plus come up with some other ideas as well. So as FFR comes out with a true chassis design that will help as well. There is also the interior design as well, not sure but I thought I read something about that being a possible contest in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vantage Spec.s

Length Overall: 161.5"

Width: Front Fender- 70"/ Rear Fender- 72"

Height (Coupe Version): 46.75"

Wheelbase: 95"

Ground Clearance: 4.5"

Track: Front- 58.5" / Rear- 58.3"

Tires: Front 225/40-18 / Rear 255/35-18

Tires Opt. Front 235/40-18 / Rear 265/35-18, 275/35-18

Wheels: 18"

Interchangeable rear engine deck - Coupe/Targa version and Spyder Version (with possible quick top)
    Interchangeable rear vent/Taillight/Lic. Plate area.

Side Mirrors to be decided still, a bunch of ways to go.

Note: Wheel Wells were designed around Tires: Front 225/40-18 / Rear 255/35-18

Real world Parts Used:

Hella Headlights - 90mm Halogen Low & High Beam Modules, HL68137 (low), HL68136 (high)
    Hella Taillights - 3130 Series Agroluna
    Front Turn Lamps - same ones used on the GTM

Miata 3rd Gen. Windshield tucked down in cowl area about 3"

Seats and ht. based on Corbeau Forza (upgrade) with 2" chassis frame on a 2.5" high seat bracket.
    Corbeau Clubman would be the base seat.
    Last edited by Vman7; 06-07-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a famous architect who did not finish his architectural registration design exam, something like three or four years in a row. He would ink everything (back in the old days with hand drawing/drafting) and it had to be perfect or he would not turn it in.

More power to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    There is a famous architect who did not finish his architectural registration design exam, something like three or four years in a row. He would ink everything (back in the old days with hand drawing/drafting) and it had to be perfect or he would not turn it in.

More power to you.
    hmm.....got me thinking about that one, since I originally started out to be an Architect, but just couldn't stand the 4yr.s of college, I am more of a hands on, straight to the point. Only person I can think that might be is Frank Lloyd Wright?

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm.....got me thinking about that one, since I originally started out to be an Architect, but just couldn't stand the 4yr.s of college, I am more of a hands on, straight to the point. Only person I can think that might be is Frank Lloyd Wright?
    6-years, you need a Master's or a 5-year professional degree which nobody really does anymore.

Richard Meier
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Meier

I've heard the Richard Meier story many times, guess the rumors have not been posted on the Internet yet, as I could find nothing about his exam days.

Stay out of architecture, low pay, long hours, and no respect from clients. The last four years have been brutal on architects, over half the people I know are underemployed or unemployed.

Michael Graves the father of the Post-Modern architecture movement of the 1980's - 1990's said at a lecture that he made more money from a single towel design for the Target Stores, than in his whole career as an architect. Think about that sometime.
    Last edited by kach22i; 06-08-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to be an architect when I was young, ended up in IT security. Now I want to be a towel designer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRex View Post
    I wanted to be an architect when I was young, ended up in IT security. Now I want to be a towel designer.
    Me too.

http://www.ralphlaurencarcollection.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    6-years, you need a Master's or a 5-year professional degree which nobody really does anymore.

Richard Meier
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Meier

I've heard the Richard Meier story many times, guess the rumors have not been posted on the Internet yet, as I could find nothing about his exam days.

Stay out of architecture, low pay, long hours, and no respect from clients. The last four years have been brutal on architects, over half the people I know are underemployed or unemployed.

Michael Graves the father of the Post-Modern architecture movement of the 1980's - 1990's said at a lecture that he made more money from a single towel design for the Target Stores, than in his whole career as an architect. Think about that sometime.
    It was the first 4yr.s of college I didn't like, mostly lib arts for the first 3yr.s. The last 2yr.s (masters part) I wouldn't have minded as much, and that was 30yr.s ago. I went a different route I went to a architectural drafting school in Phoenix in '79 which you did 4yr.s of drafting in 1yr, very intense, and I remember one of the teachers who owned his own firm saying that Architects don't hire architects, he was a architectual engineer. But then I went in another direction all together. I have had a lot of career changes over the years. Still don't really know what I would really like to do for a career, I have so interests it's not funny......lol. Been a Avoinics tech in the Navy back in the '80s. '90-mid 2000s a high end custom cabinet builder/designer/installer. As of pretty much 2008 I have been doing custom graphics (one of my true passions since I was a teen, old school mostly) for logos, auto/boat graphics.

Post Thanks / Like
    a architectural drafting school in Phoenix in '79
    I took drafting and art classes all the way through High School (78). Worked in the steel mill to save money for college, started a 2-year architectural technology degree in community college in 81 after the big lay offs. Got the AS, worked my way through an undergrad degree (BS) in nine years, mostly night school. By the time I got to grad school I was old as some of my instructors and had more work experience. Put grad school on my credit card, worked some more - paid it off, took the exam, passed and as soon as I hit 40 started my own small architecture firm. Won an AIA Honor Award right off the bat (just regional) and now at 50 years old I'm wondering WTF happened to all of those grand plans I once had.

When the construction bubble hit no one wanted to hire me as an Architect, Industrial Designer or storyboard artist so I took one of my sketch book designs and built something special in my basement. The next couple of months could see a shift in career if the Investment Capitalist I met with last year like my progress. Time will tell, gotta have a dream, gotta have a goal, and one cannot live without hope of something better in the future.
    Last edited by kach22i; 06-08-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have submitted it, even when it's not completely done.

Remember school, even a partial answer to a question gives you partial credit. Much better than getting a "0" on the assignment..

Post Thanks / Like
    <kicking self in head for not entering

Soon to be owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    <kicking self in head for not entering
    kicking self in head for vman kicking himself in the head for not entering.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would have been easier to add 8" to the wheelbase of the Vantage than to do what they now face (in my opinion).

On the up-side, he is free to market his design unchanged to other firms.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would have been easier to add 8" to the wheelbase of the Vantage than to do what they now face (in my opinion).

On the up-side, he is free to market his design unchanged to other firms.
    Don't really need to add 8" to the wheelbase, it's already 95", see my spec.s above. Yeah, that's what I was saying before about FFR basicly having the rights if you send it in, but somebody said Dave Smith said in a email reply that they really wouldn't stop you if you what to.
    Last edited by Vman7; 06-11-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if I am going to get back to this or not, getting involved in too many others things as of late. This thread will probably just fade away.....

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my favorite design out of everything I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too love this design. If there were anything that I would nit-pick, it would be the inclusion under the door and the side profile tail lights that are different (and more to my taste) in your back view. I would also like to see the front nose clip in the side view. But all-in-all, I would so buy this car! It was one of my favorite designs during the contest… You really should have submitted it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockraven View Post
    This is my favorite design out of everything I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewinters21 View Post
    I too love this design. If there were anything that I would nit-pick, it would be the inclusion under the door and the side profile tail lights that are different (and more to my taste) in your back view. I would also like to see the front nose clip in the side view. But all-in-all, I would so buy this car! It was one of my favorite designs during the contest… You really should have submitted it.
    Thanks for the compliments!

Bluewinters21, not sure what you actually mean about the inclusion under the door. The taillights profile as well as the front were not finished yet, hench why I didn't submit it. The taillights profile was mostly so I could setup the rear view, orig. I was going to have a clear lens over the taillight in the rear view, plus slats (2) in the vent area.

I think there is a little too much going on the side view now that the front and rear are done. I would probably keep the Top vent (engine intake vent), but take out the center slat, and rework the bottom area of the door to make it more streamlined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow!! Really nice design Vman7. Would have liked to see the front overhang from the side but the rest looks very nice!! My favoriute is the Olmos design but this one is #2 in my book especially if it was in a Targa Coupe!! Keep on drawing and finish this. I think it would definitly be a winner!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the rear end, reminds me of the Audi R8 a bit

Post Thanks / Like
    nice front and rear shots v man... I really dislike the side profile however. could be improved i guess?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, like yours the best. See a lot of the 308 in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vman this looks great!. I'd build it in a heartbeat and even prefer it over the other designs. Reminds me a bit of the Mclaren MP4 -12c

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We should start a petition to get this design built. It is way better than the others.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ this does look better than the current 4 designs imo

Post Thanks / Like
    The side is still a bit busy but the front and back are awesome. Thats 2/3 of the way there. I wonder if there will be other companies that will make optional bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll sign that petition. By far the best design IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    From the side it's too much like a Porsche Cayman. I do like that car and thus like this car but I wouldn't build it cause too many people would think it's a cayman.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear in the side-view doesn't match the rear in the rear view points?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and I'd buy this :X

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pretty sexy from the front and rear (like the rear end the best). The roof line is quiet nice as well. Too bad you didn't make it into the contest. WEK.

Sidebar: Does anyone have a clue as to what design or hybid of one or more designs will come out of this. I think the answer is no but maybe I missed the clues along the way. Maybe Jim's grey hyrid design is one of the clues. After all, the GTM is a hybrid of many different iconic features. It's possible that the design might end up being from winners and other good ideas such as the one above. What's wrong with that?
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll sign. This car needs nothing but to be made full size. I was reading about all the others and what they need to be perfect designs. I kept thinking about this one and how all it needs is to come out next year and be purchased by me. Im a newcomer so i dont actually know the HoF reference. But i did dream about this car, if that correlates.

Post Thanks / Like
    HoF = Hair on Fire. The desired effect that the 818 should have on anyone that sees it.

This car reaches HoF ignition point for me, even as is. I would like to see a few tweaks, but I'd take it as is. I can't say the same for most of the models.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast