FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: EZ30/36R: OEM ECU systems that work on a standalone engine.

Post Thanks / Like

EZ30/36R: OEM ECU systems that work on a standalone engine.

Some people say that these engines Can Not Be Run in a standalone configuration with the OEM ECU at this time. Others say Yes It Can. For those who say that it Can Be Done, here is an opportunity to tell us step by step how it can be done. I and everyone else who's interested in these engines would love to hear the procedure to accomplishing this. It would obviously be the least expensive way to get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted out front motorsports a few years ago regarding ECU's , this was there response.

we sell complete low mileage ez30r motors for $3500 the ez30 r is the one with plaSATIC INTAKE AND 3 EXHAUST PORTS PER SIDE. this is a 2005 and newer 3.0 i do not tune electromotive. that unit also requires a custome trigger wheel and i highly doubt that its capable of running the avcs cam gears. we have just developed the AEM infinity unit to run the ez 30 r with stock trigger wheels and using both avcs and the acl solenoids. this ecu could also use and DBW and run in closed loop. we just got this ecu running in the last month and looks promising. it will clearly cost more than the electromotive but "you get what you pay for"

we would not have a body harness for the whole car but we could do a comprehensive harness for the engine that would only have 5 wires to connect to your car

John Rykowski
    Outfront Motorsports

Now I know that Wayne's car uses an Ez30 with I believe an electromotive ECU . The Haltech ECU has been used with an EZ36

http://www.haltech.com/mighty-car-mo...ru-goes-elite/

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to send out a specific e-mail again to every company I've ever heard of to get the latest info on a computer And harness that can plug into the EZ engines connectors and run VVT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi JB91710
    As your OP discusses the OEM ECU, here is a summary of my experiences. I’ll try and list what I know and what is proven/conjecture/unproven
    I purchased a 2006 ADM Subaru outback with the EZ30R and a 5 speed auto – it was damaged in that it had been completely flooded, and was ridiculously cheap.
    After doing the mechanical work to get the water out of it, new lubricants, drying out the computers etc I spent a frustrating two days troubleshooting the wiring.
    I found an excellent manual for my model here. The net based manuals are awesome.
    http://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php...-Model-USDM-EU
    Everything was doing what it should, but the car wouldn’t run.
    Even though my research said the 2006 shouldn’t be CAN Bus, the wiring diagrams, and the car wiring indicated it was. See link below. There is a way of looking at the OBD II connector and telling if the car is CAN Bus equipped in the link
    http://www.auterraweb.com/aboutcan.html
    My problem seemed to be either a computer problem or a CAN Bus issue, so I replaced the following items, sourced form a single donor (for only $175 for the whole lot locally)
    • A matching coded key
    • Matching ECU
    • Matching coded automatic transmission ECU code.
    • ECU ECM Transmission Control Module
    • SUBARU SUB CONT ECU ASSY (whatever the heck that is)
    • Matching Dash instrument cluster
    15 minutes plugging these items in and away it went. I’ve driven it about 15 km and it seems to do everything it should. Auto works fine.
    What I haven’t tested is unplugging each item individually to check which ones are critical, and which ones (if any) are not required, so it is conjecture at this point as to needing to do all the items.
    During my research into getting my car running, a number of people said that Subaru dealers can use their proprietary (read expensive) “Subaru Select” programming to reprogram a single item, so that only the faulty item needs replacement. I haven’t proven this. Similarly, there were some comments that perhaps the ECU could be made to ignore missing items, only conjecture at this time
    The Romraider website lists a number of supported ECU’s with the 3.0 R motor
    http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/SupportedECUs
    My ECU was on the list. I have read the program file from the ECU using the latest Tactrix cable, so that is proven.
    I haven’t reprogrammed the hex file, so that is unproven.
    I presume your donor motors came with ECU’s? Do you know if they are Can Bus models?
    Are your ECU's on the supported list on the ROMRaider site?
    Last edited by DodgyTim; 09-14-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    Hi JB91710
    As your OP discusses the OEM ECU, here is a summary of my experiences. I’ll try and list what I know and what is proven/conjecture/unproven
    I purchased a 2006 ADM Subaru outback with the EZ30R and a 5 speed auto – it was damaged in that it had been completely flooded, and was ridiculously cheap.
    After doing the mechanical work to get the water out of it, new lubricants, drying out the computers etc I spent a frustrating two days troubleshooting the wiring.
    I found an excellent manual for my model here. The net based manuals are awesome.
    http://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php...-Model-USDM-EU

Everything was doing what it should, but the car wouldn’t run.
    Even though my research said the 2006 shouldn’t be CAN Bus, the wiring diagrams, and the car wiring indicated it was. See link below. There is a way of looking at the OBD II connector and telling if the car is CAN Bus equipped in the link
    http://www.auterraweb.com/aboutcan.html
    My problem seemed to be either a computer problem or a CAN Bus issue, so I replaced the following items, sourced form a single donor (for only $175 for the whole lot locally)
    • A matching coded key
    • Matching ECU
    • Matching coded automatic transmission ECU code.
    • ECU ECM Transmission Control Module
    • SUBARU SUB CONT ECU ASSY (whatever the heck that is)
    • Matching Dash instrument cluster
    15 minutes plugging these items in and away it went. I’ve driven it about 15 km and it seems to do everything it should. Auto works fine.
    What I haven’t tested is unplugging each item individually to check which ones are critical, and which ones (if any) are not required, so it is conjecture at this point as to needing to do all the items.
    During my research into getting my car running, a number of people said that Subaru dealers can use their proprietary (read expensive) “Subaru Select” programming to reprogram a single item, so that only the faulty item needs replacement. I haven’t proven this. Similarly, there were some comments that perhaps the ECU could be made to ignore missing items, only conjecture at this time
    The Romraider website lists a number of supported ECU’s with the 3.0 R motor
    http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/SupportedECUs
    My ECU was on the list. I have read the program file from the ECU using the latest Tactrix cable, so that is proven.
    I haven’t reprogrammed the hex file, so that is unproven.
    I presume your donor motors came with ECU’s? Do you know if they are Can Bus models?
    Are your ECU's on the supported list on the ROMRaider site?

Mine are Canbus. It looks like I'm going with the Motec M800. They can run it as a 12 cylinders or as a double 6, 2 cylinders at a time plus VVT and the electric pedal/throttle body if I want. I think it is way to early in the game for us to think we can use the OEM ECU but I hope someone keeps trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just found out the electronics to run my engines with Motec is going to cost a whole lot of money.
    Last edited by JB91710; 10-09-2016 at 12:37 PM.