Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Will I fit in a FFR?

Post Thanks / Like

Will I fit in a FFR?

Hello FF Commmunity,

I'm doing the research to plan out my MkIV Roadster build with one major item that I cannot just research online. I'm 6'7" and no one, not even the FF helpline, can tell me if I would even fit in the built car. I know to maximize my space I need the big & tall seats and a small block engine to allow maximum footwell space.

What I am really looking for is a CA Bay Area owner with a similar big & tall seat and maximized footwell set-up that would be willing to give me seat time. Not sure if I'll make it to the Huntington event in spring and would like to know if my dream is still alive or not.

If there is a community member in the area willing to share their car I would be so appreciative.

~Stork

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm 6'6", wear size 16 shoe and weigh - cough - 320 lbs. If you get a chance to come down to LA you can sit in 2 car's I've built. I fit in them both. Actually it's more like I wear them!

Wilwood Pedals, a small block motor and proper seat (and placement) are the major factors to getting a proper fit.

Depending on your body type I believe you can make it fit.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Better yet, David's blue car is already tailored for a big & tall guy and is soon going up for sale! The hard work is done and it's already legally titled and registered in Cali---you could be driving it next week

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Better yet, David's blue car is already tailored for a big & tall guy and is soon going up for sale! The hard work is done and it's already legally titled and registered in Cali---you could be driving it next week

Jeff
    Jeff, Is that Guardsman Blue/Wimbeldon White?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been work on mine for 16 months soooooooo immediate gratification is starting to look pretty good to me and maybe Mr. The Stork!
    I'm only 5'10" and my brother went down a different path at only 6'4" after he didn't fit so well in my MK-4.
    If the shoe fits and it's already through the Left Coast Emissions Fun, it might be a great option.
    I hear that "The Comrades" at your inspection stations are impossible to please.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-20-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    See my post #75, titled"How to get an easy 1 1/8” legroom in a roadster" at http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...s-slowly/page2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Sloggett View Post
    Jeff, Is that Guardsman Blue/Wimbeldon White?
    Yes it is.

MKIII "Refresh Thread"

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Thank You David. Car looks great! -- Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone.
    David, I'm just a bit taller, smaller shoe size, and a little lighter on the scale, but good to know there are other big men out there successfully wearing their FFRs.
    While immediate gratification does sound good and might even make my wife and kids happier, I know there is something special about building one's own ride.
    Having said that, David when that great blue ride goes up for sale, make sure we know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stork View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    David, I'm just a bit taller, smaller shoe size, and a little lighter on the scale, but good to know there are other big men out there successfully wearing their FFRs.
    While immediate gratification does sound good and might even make my wife and kids happier, I know there is something special about building one's own ride.
    Having said that, David when that great blue ride goes up for sale, make sure we know.
    Stork,

I'm certainly not going to try and persuade you to give up building if that is your goal. As a matter of fact I'll render as much help as I can!

If you do get a chance to come down to So-Cal my offer to try on the roadster still stands. And I'll put it on the lift so we can discuss some of the build details. ABSOLUTELY no pressure!

You might also want to think about going to the build school. I've never met someone who thought it wasn't worth going through the experience.

If I can be of any other assistance let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave. I ordered my MK IV after sitting in yours and knowing it is possible. Is there a post I can search that gives then specifics of the peddle modifications. I have the Wilwoods and Kirkeys. I'm getting to that point in my build.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I FIT! So after a random business trip to So Cal I got to drive both of David's cars for a little while and can operate both with only my feet getting in my own way. So the dream continues! Now I just need to line-up the other realities of this project.

-Stork

Post Thanks / Like
    That's my question too! I'm 6'5", 13 shoe, 260 lbs. I've emailed FFR several times asking this question, with never getting a reply... I'd love to build a Cobra within the next 5 years!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage775 View Post
    That's my question too! I'm 6'5", 13 shoe, 260 lbs. I've emailed FFR several times asking this question, with never getting a reply... I'd love to build a Cobra within the next 5 years!
    You will fit too! Both David and I are taller and David is heavier than you and we cruised around together yesterday with no issues. Not much extra room with two guys like us in the car, but enough room to drive and enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    You will fit too! Both David and I are taller and David is heavier than you and we cruised around together yesterday with no issues. Not much extra room with two guys like us in the car, but enough room to drive and enjoy!
    Sweet! Are yall running 5 speeds?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sweet! Are yall running 5 speeds?
    Yes. Both with mid-shift. TKO 600 for one and Levy Super Alloy T5 for the other.

Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Both with mid-shift. TKO 600 for one and Levy Super Alloy T5 for the other.

Where are you located?

Huntsville, Alabama

The forum won't let me edit my avatar/location....?
    Last edited by Mirage775; 09-23-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Huntsville, Alabama

The forum won't let me edit my avatar/location....?
    Yeah, you gotta know somebody to get early access...

Try it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you gotta know somebody to get early access...

Try it now.

Awesome, thanks! I've always wanted a FFR Cobra. Could've easily bought a kit in 1999, but wasn't sure I wanted to sink the money into it and destroy my 93 GT at the same time... Nowadays, I wish I'd built one back then, as I'm married, (with no kids) and the wife's all for me building one, but it'll take a couple of years to save $20k just for the car itself... Then, engine, trans, wheels, tires, paint, etc.... Yall wanna talk me into building one or letting my dream go? Sorry to hijack the thread! Jason
    Last edited by Mirage775; 09-23-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

I am just about finished building my roadster and have not yet perfected the proper method of entry and exit of the vehicle, without the possibilities of damaging the car or causing permanent injury to myself. I am only 6' 1" tall but weigh 275 and still have trouble getting my legs in and out successfully.

Would it be possible for you to post a video of yourself getting in and out of your roadster, think of it as a Public Service Annoucement for a nitwit like myself that still can't figure this out, so that myself and others that are having this same problem can learn from your experience.

Thank You
    BigUgly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
    David,

I am just about finished building my roadster and have not yet perfected the proper method of entry and exit of the vehicle, without the possibilities of damaging the car or causing permanent injury to myself. I am only 6' 1" tall but weigh 275 and still have trouble getting my legs in and out successfully.

Would it be possible for you to post a video of yourself getting in and out of your roadster, think of it as a Public Service Annoucement for a nitwit like myself that still can't figure this out, so that myself and others that are having this same problem can learn from your experience.

Thank You
    BigUgly
    Sure, I can do that, but the description is as follows, and remember, under no circumstances do you put your butt in first and then try to swing your legs in! That is the classic way to get snake-bit! So here's what I do:

First, remove anything from your pant rear pockets. Open the door and STAND ON THE SEAT. Then put your butt on the edge of the rear of the cockpit and walk your feet down into the foot box and slide down into the seat. To get out, use your arms to pry your butt up and pry your body up and walk your feet back up until you are standing on the seat again. Then step over the pipe to exit.

I'll post a video this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

Thank You for the description of the proper method and the forthcoming video. What would you say is the life expectancy of the carpet in that area, or did you do anything special to protect it and or give you a little extra traction for the exit procedure, like a rubber pad?

Thanks again,

BigUgly

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, I can do that, but the description is as follows, and remember, under no circumstances do you put your butt in first and then try to swing your legs in! That is the classic way to get snake-bit! So here's what I do:

First, remove anything from your pant rear pockets. Open the door and STAND ON THE SEAT. Then put your butt on the edge of the rear of the cockpit and walk your feet down into the foot box and slide down into the seat. To get out, use your arms to pry your butt up and pry your body up and walk your feet back up until you are standing on the seat again. Then step over the pipe to exit.

I'll post a video this weekend.

Lol! I prefer the flop out of the side on to the ground like a beached seal method!

Of course, I have seen ten clown get out of a Fiat more gracefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 5'-11" but have broad shoulders. I sat in a roadster at FFR. I wouldn't be able to drive a roadster without putting my left elbow over the top of the door. That doesn't work well if you want both hands on the wheel during performance driving but it was perfect for cruising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, that is how David had me climb in and out of his two cars. No other way to get the legs around the steering wheel, although taking off the wheel would add some initial room, and lodged into place without touching that all too glowing hot exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by JB91710 View Post
    I'm 5'-11" but have broad shoulders. I sat in a roadster at FFR. I wouldn't be able to drive a roadster without putting my left elbow over the top of the door. That doesn't work well if you want both hands on the wheel during performance driving but it was perfect for cruising.
    As for this issue all I can say is yes, don't think there is any way around that with this car. I was, however, able to keep both hands on the wheel, but my left arm was cocked at a higher angle than my right and I certainly was not a racing speeds.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, that is how David had me climb in and out of his two cars. No other way to get the legs around the steering wheel, although taking off the wheel would add some initial room, and lodged into place without touching that all too glowing hot exhaust.

As for this issue all I can say is yes, don't think there is any way around that with this car. I was, however, able to keep both hands on the wheel, but my left arm was cocked at a higher angle than my right and I certainly was not a racing speeds.
    Check my MK4 build thread. Huegenics and I modified the doors so you have room for big shoulders and tuck in your arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Guys, I didn't get a chance to make the video. I'll try to get to it later today, if the weather clears up. Yes ladies and gents, there is actually some precipitation in So-Cal today.

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

Whenever you get a chance to do it will be great, thanks.

BigUgly