I've been contemplating on whether or not to start a build thread and I decided that I had better get one going for a few reasons. First, it is a great place to document the build and learn a few things while I am at it. I have never taken on something of this magnitude before, other than owning an '84 CJ for six years, and I figure at some point(s) I am going to need some help.

I picked up my kit in April of this year (#396). It was a retirement present to myself after 21yrs, 1mo, and 1dy in the U.S. Marine Corps; at least that is how I sold it to my wife. I share our two car garage with four kids, two power wheels, bikes etc., so it is tight but I have been making it work so far. As stated, I cut my teeth on the CJ over its six year period but I am not at all familiar with the Subaru set up. My donor is a 2004 Impreza WRX - solid motor, running before tear down and the previous owner's CarFax report is seven pages long, very meticulous maintenance record. My weakness is definitely wiring, and some of the motor plumbing that I am not familiar with (i.e. intercoolers etc.) but I have picked up a wealth of knowledge and information from some of the forum members.

So far I have gotten the firewall in, front/rear suspension on and started to run cooling lines. I am 6'2" and have already decided that I am going with the Boyd tank for space; so resolute that I didn't even take box #7 at pickup. I also started to mock up the steering column to see where I can save some space there. I don't plan on using the kit shifter and picked up an MR2 shifter at a local salvage yard. Mechie3's bell crank shifter (awesome piece of gear) is already mounted on my trans ready to go and I got a set of wheels from FFR at pick-up.

I am planning to drop the motor in this weekend so that I can accurately measure and run lines and possibly start running some brake lines. My timing however is not so good, I am scheduled for shoulder surgery in late Sept, so I am planning on a last minute rush before I have to lay off it for some time. The overseas tours are starting to catch up with me...

I will do my best to post pics and give updates, and from reading other build threads over the past couple of months I am offering my appreciation in advance for any assistance that I get. Very impressed with the camaraderie and information sharing I have seen on the forums.